VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Read Only
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a 2.0L automatic and lately when i start it up and i press the brake so i could shift it out of park it just doesnt do nothing i dont hear it releases the button at all, i have to with my hands press the brake alittle bit and wiggle it around then after a few tries i can do it, but when the cars running for a while it doesnt do that. Its real only been happening when it dead cold outside and its been like that the last few days, anyone know what that can be?

· Registered
383 Posts
Re: 2.0 automatic: car wont shift into gear sometimes....help (kewlrichie)

Quote, originally posted by kewlrichie »
hey guys i have a 2.0L automatic and lately when i start it up and i press the brake so i could shift it out of park it just doesnt do nothing i dont hear it releases the button at all, i have to with my hands press the brake alittle bit and wiggle it around then after a few tries i can do it, but when the cars running for a while it doesnt do that. Its real only been happening when it dead cold outside and its been like that the last few days, anyone know what that can be?
Tranny swap with a 5/6 speed! Thats the best solution!

· Read Only
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that a tranny problem or whatever goes from the brake to the auto shifter to release the lock ?
also when i just start it slips from going to 1st to 2nd with a hard jerk is the auto tranny going ?

· Registered
6,777 Posts
Re: 2.0 automatic: car wont shift into gear sometimes....help (kewlrichie)

So, when you're driving, the car shifts through all the gears like normal? If so, then it doesn't sound like the tranny itself is fawked, but more like a cable or shift linkage that is giving you a hard time when you depress the brake, and not allowing you to move the gear selector to the appropriate gear.
Since it has been so cold out, it might be somewhat stiff/frozen?
That's my best guess man, and it could be completely wrong. Good luck.

· Registered
605 Posts
Re: 2.0 automatic: car wont shift into gear sometimes....help (WolfsburgTekniques)

Its a problem with the shift lock solenoid. The solenoid blocks the actual shifter. It could be your solenoid going bad or your brake light switch which is what sends the power to the solenoid when the brake is depressed. Mine pissed me off so I just broke it, now I dont have to press the brake to switch between gears.

Modified by Acenas at 10:20 PM 1-14-2004

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.