VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i searched for a while, but found little to no useful threads about 2.0 clutches. mine's slipping pretty well, so i'm fairly certain i need a new one. i'm almost at 77,000 miles. my wife says she wants to start driving my car (she can't drive manual yet--i've offered, but she only recently said she was willing to learn). i drive my car pretty hard. i only have a cai, cat-back, and cam mods. my questions follow:
1. does the vr6 upgrade last longer? with a new manual driver, a hard experienced driver, and no desire to replace the clutch again (say till 150,000 miles), will the vr6 oem outlast the 2.0 oem?
2. i've read that the feel for the vr6 clutch is the same. is that about true (my wife might complain if it's too hard)?
3. if i go with the vr6 clutch, i figured i may as well get the lightened flywheel. would there be a noticeable (obviously not much, but comparable to my other mods, which were at least somewhat noticeable) difference? with my engine running slightly better at higher rpms, i figure the faster i get there, the better.
4. overall suggestions? priorities in order - longevity, price ($100 more for vr6 oem clutch and lw flywheel than 2.0 oem clutch is very doable), driveability for wife, performance.
thanks for any help/suggestions.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: 2.0 clutch replacement (abufstough)

Quote, originally posted by abufstough »

3. if i go with the vr6 clutch, i figured i may as well get the lightened flywheel. would there be a noticeable (obviously not much, but comparable to my other mods, which were at least somewhat noticeable) difference? with my engine running slightly better at higher rpms, i figure the faster i get there, the better.

i also want to know this

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Re: 2.0 clutch replacement (bobsled)

The Eurospec flywheel is lighter than the oem g60 fw, and is usually cheaper, so IMO it's definitely worth it. You won't really see power gains, but it will be more responsive

Modified by Farina Motorsports at 5:28 PM 5-15-2007

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 2.0 clutch replacement (dimsum)

i appreciate the responses so far guys--thank you.
while i hope i continue to get responses to my original questions (especially regarding the longevity of the vr6 clutch - should it last longer on my car than a 2.0 oem clutch?), i also thought i'd ask about my timing belt. once i discovered i had to remove the transmission to change the clutch, i decided to have someone else change it for me. should i ask them to take a look at my timing belt also? i know 77,000 is a little soon, but would they cut me a deal if it's easier to access? just curious.
bobsled, if i end up choosing to go with the lightweight flywheel, i'll give you my email address and you can ask me how it works because it may be a little while from now.
thanks again for your thoughts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.