VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just finished installing my turbo kit. i built it myself and everything seems to be right theoretically. but when i went to start it, it fired up and then stalled. try again, fires then stalls. i took off the EGR(i think, it is on the bottom back of the intake manifold) it was getting in the way and there was no place to tap the line into the manifold. i figured it would still run without it but no go.wont even idle. i blocked off the spot it attaches to the mani. would this be the problem or is it something else? possilby leak in intercooler piping or messed up vaccum lines? help!!!!

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2.0 t need help!!!!! (turboit)

it should at least run with the stock chip right? and the egr shouldnt influence it that much? so it has to be a leak somewhere? if that is the case i have some time on my hands. more help everyone, more please!!!!!

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 2.0 t need help!!!!! (jwspin)

i am mostly worried about the EGR(?) , if that is my prob then i will hook it back up, if it isnt then i can trace the vacuum/boost leaks.anythoughts. its a 95 so it is obd1

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2.0 t need help!!!!! (Anand20v)

k i found the leak and its runing, thanx for ur help, i havent drivin it yet cause i still have to clean up some of my welds on the oil pan(and my oil drain stripped out). i ordered a psc1, but it isnt coming for a while. has anyone ran a turbo 2.0 with the stock ecu???

· Registered
6,018 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jwspin »
has anyone ran a turbo 2.0 with the stock ecu???

i ran for a year with stock ecu , stock chip and stock fuel system , i just ran a vortech FMU and the car ran fine

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it was the tube going from the isv to the intake. i forgot to hook it up
, so i welded a connector on to the intake and hooked her up. i should be finishing it tonight and then going for a test drive. i need some opinions. waterfest is this weekend. should i drive the car? or should i wait so i can break it in and just drive my truck?

· Registered
4,121 Posts

what happened when you guys broke down? what types of problems did u have?

I decided to use a "modified" TD oil return line. Which meant that the line needed to be extended by ~10mm. The oil return line runs past the rear motor mount. The vibrations from the rear mount has been causing the clamps used to extend the line, to come loose. Thus spewing motor oil all over the place. Since these incidents, I have upgraded the clamps used on the oil return extension + double clamped. It seems to have worked.
On the really hot days, I am also noticing my oil pressure dropping way down. To the point where my oil pressure light in the dash falshes on. I am running no oil cooler, plus I am running 15w40 motor oil. For the next oil change I am going to step up to 20w50 and if that still doesn't work I will have to install an oil cooler.
On the really cold days, the car has trouble firing up first thing in the morning after it has sat around all night. By trouble I mean, won't idle. I replaced my spark plugs which did not seem to do anything for my cold idle problem. I will soon be replacing my wires, dizzy cap and rotor. I will also clean the throttle plate and MAF sensor. If that does not work, I will attempt to replace the o2 sensor. I have thought about unplugging the MAF sensor to see if the car is going to idle better, but from what I have read here on the TEX, that's a bandaid solution.
In all honesty, the car is completely unreliable at this moment in time. I can't drive it for more than 1 hour without something "wierd" happending. Drivablilty blows (no pun intended). But all of this was expected because I am still running the stock ECU. All I have done for extra fuel is an SDS Extra Injector Controller. If I decided to keep the car in its turbo form, I will be going full stand alone. For timing I am relying heavily on the factory knock sensor.

· Banned
9,393 Posts

what happened when you guys broke down? what types of problems did u have?

ok, quick synopsis of the issuse encountered w/ evan's car.....
first night, had four people in the car, all hyped up.... it made it less than 1/2 mile out of the driveway, then died.... we had the wrong wires hooked up for the PSC1....
after that i remember an incident of where he was at the post office, and found a rapidly growing puddle of G12 under the car, one of his water lines on the turbo disintegrated. I believe it was cheap hose...
we had his oil pan plastic shield thingy (std. mk4 piece) come off while driving, a quick 2 minute roadside "uhh just rip it off" repair.
as far as my car has gone: (as i'm knocking on wood), all i've had realy have been the IC pipe coming out of hte turbo blow off a few times, just cuz its at a funny angle.... and of course, i leak oil like a mother, but i just haven't gotten around to fixing that.
However, i always have a huge tool box (Craftsman 27") loaded w/ my handy dandy 122 piece tool kit + pliers + adj. wrenches + vice grips + zip ties + electrical connectors + electrical tape + 4D Maglite and some other stuff, and i keep a floor jack in my car.
for the trip to waterfest, i'll be backing a few other things as well(a case of oil, etc)

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: 2.0 t need help!!!!! (Anand20v)

yeh i always have a set of tools in my car, and i was planning on bringing a few extras for this trip (jb weld, duc tape, and a few other cob job devices). but o yeh dont let me forget. i was running my car this morning and i believe the turbo is leaking oil into the exhaust because it is smoking nicely.
i got the turbo off of a saab and had to rotate the bearing and i think i busted a seal. does anyone know where i can get rebuild parts for turbos??? looks like ill be driving the tacoma to waterfest. im sure ill see a bunch of you guys PASS me on the highway. good luck on the road for all of you.

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

update:
car is running, the turbo is def leaking oil because she is blowing more smoke than i have ever seen. i took it for a test drive and loved it. she ran nice except for the leak. i think the fitting on the bottom of my turbo is leaking too.
i bet no one can guess what my next purchase is? a fire extinguisher
. half way up my road i started to see smoke coming from under the dash. pulled over and there was a fire in my engine bay. i rushed up my road and hit every mud puddle possible to try to splash the fire out. got home and the flames started to roar from under mu dash on the pass side. i patted those out with my hand and then popped the hodd and here came the flames. i had to splash those out with water. i tried not to get my exhaust manifold. but now the flames are out and the car is running. once i fix the leaks i think she will be nice. i guess im not driving it to waterfest this year

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.