VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2.0 Tuning Endeavor

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  engine101 
#1 ·
OK...i bought a 1997 golf 2.0l about 3 months ago (i wanted 4 drs so i didn't get the gti). I'm planning on starting an extensive program of modding the car to become the ultimate sleeper (no exterior or interior modifications). It will take about 1 or 2 years total time to complete the program (limited income) but i will be sequentially adding on to the engine (p-flo, exhaust, transmission upgrades, engine strengthening (forged pistons, copper head gasket, etc), turbo, chip...in that order). It's going to cost me, i know, but i just want some input on my choices. I'll be changing this list as i get input, but here are my initial plans:
1997 Golf 2.0L
Tuning Options
Category/Product/Cost:
Turbo: EIP Tuning Stage I Turbo System: $2495 ($3054 w/ upgraded stage II fuel pump and injectors)
Tranny: Quaife Limited Slip Differential: $895
Cryo Coated Gears: $495
EIP Stage I Clutch: $349

Exhaust: TT cat-back system with Borla Tip: $420.00
Engine: EIP Tuning Forged Pistons: $799.00
EIP Tuning Copper Head gasket w/ cement: $165
ECU: GIAC Chip: ~$400.00

TOTAL COST (turbo and engine reinforcements): $4703.00 w/o upgraded fuel system ($5262.00 w/ upgrade)
TOTAL COST (all) : $6018.00
Thanks a lot for your input

[Modified by 97GolfGl2.0, 10:48 PM 4-6-2002]

[Modified by 97GolfGl2.0, 2:09 AM 4-8-2002]

[Modified by 97GolfGl2.0, 8:36 PM 4-8-2002]

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: 2.0 Tuning Endeavor (igneousGOlF)

Yea, im in MD and i heard alot of bad things about them....even though they know thier sh!t. One way or another, you have the right idea, i was exactly where you are now 2 years ago after first considering upgrades on my golf and worrying about my warrantee lol (couldve gotten a gti, but i rather have 4 doors also man). I talked to EIP about it, and they are knowledgeable. I just keep hearing about them not finishing cars and people being a$s out after dropping alot of money. Getting pistons from them is one thing, but a turbo system and other things i would really think about. But your plan sounds good. Pace yourself, because good deals may come and will throw off your rhythm (aka money)g. Try to get as many parts for cheap as you can. Get in a gb for the turbo (T3, etc..) if you can. Find about 3 turbo tuners/experts in your area (In the tri-state there should be plenty). Try not to get too happy with the NA mods becuase they wont all work with the turbo. There are alot of people in the forced induction forum that know of several tuners making turbo systems for 2.0Ls. Bigger brakes to stop all that power may lead you to less concealable rims....then youll wanna show off with forged 19"s!!!!
J/k, but stay focused and if you find a good deal on a limited slip diff in half a year or so, let me know

#7 ·
Re: 2.0 Tuning Endeavor (gti_8v)

quote:[HR][/HR]VR6 = borring. this is what everyone does, and its not even a good mod. Its the brute force method. Keep the 2.0, show those VR6s whose boss. With a turbo, you'll be smoking VR6s and Hondas left and right.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, but its more bang for the buck. Brute force is better than no force.

#9 ·
Re: 2.0 Tuning Endeavor (timmybgood)

I've considered everything here....g60 swap, vr6 swap, 1.8t swap, even a 16v 2.0 swap. I really like the 2.0l...there's a lot of 2.0's out there so parts for them aren't in shortage, it's a reliable engine, and 196 whp from eip's stage 1 kit would be more than enough to boss around those vr6's and eat some vtec's for lunch. This is definitely the route i want to go, i just need to know what i should add/subtract modify from the list. thanks again

#10 ·
Re: 2.0 Tuning Endeavor (97GolfGl2.0)

maybe you could start of with suspension first. but that aside i dont think you will need your p flo after you do the turbo. And why would you need to change the cam? You could use the stock cam b/c raising the lift will cause major blow off in a forced induction car., unless the cam is a 260. Also why do you want to use the eip kit? There are alot of good things being said about ATP. Also i would recommend trying a Sachs or ACT clutch instead of the eip.

#12 ·
Re: 2.0 Tuning Endeavor (gti_8v)

definitely keep the 2.0 big power can be made with that engine, hopefully in the next month or 2 i should have mine turboed. definitely do suspention work. I too want to keep my car pretty much as sleeper as i can .... for now
Good Luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#13 ·
Re: 2.0 Tuning Endeavor (timmybgood)

quote:[HR][/HR]but a supercharged or turbo'd vr6 will smoke any 8v

ahh the never-ending debate begins a new chapter, haha
[HR][/HR]​
And a tricked out camaro or porsche would smoke any turbo'd VR6. so what there's always somebody faster whos making more power! The key is to finding the perfect balance in your budget.

#14 ·
Re: 2.0 Tuning Endeavor (teg92_)

The Saturn V would smoke us all but what's the point in comparing apples to oranges

#15 ·
Re: 2.0 Tuning Endeavor (97GolfGl2.0)

Whoa, i'll sell you my GIAC chip for a lot less than $400.
My suspension mod was by far the most beneficial. Looks like you have left out braking power. If you're gonna up your power, you'll want to at least consider bigger brakes. I'm not very happy with the stock stopping power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.