VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine got me thinking about swaping out the 1.8L ahort block with a
newer 2.0L. We wanted to know if anyone has ever tried and if so what needs to be adjusted and what should we expect? If anyone has any ideas let me know

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (yello90g60)

you could just buy some 83.5 mm pistons, new rods, and bore it out to a 2.0liter...and keep your same engine!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (PhatazzMkIVJetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]you could just buy some 83.5 mm pistons, new rods, and bore it out to a 2.0liter...and keep your same engine![HR][/HR]​
what you propose is not even mathamatically possible.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (WhiteG60)

CVOVP aka "Mr smarty Pants"....how do you figure it is not mathematically possible?.....it would be a 1.9 liter with 83.5mm pistons, rods, and have a machine shop bore it out for the pistons.....pluss you would need alot of other things in between....how would that not be possible? please tell me cause i know alot of people who have done this. I almost did this before i sold my rado
thanks
Big pimpin

·
Registered
5,408 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Talk to kkozma... he has one. REALLY nice... so jealous...[HR][/HR]​

tell him what? that there is no way you can get this displacement using the original crank and boring the block to 83.5mm as suggested above? sure.
hey Keith, did you know that there is no way you can achive the displacement of 2 liters using the original crank and boring the block to 83.5mm? no? well you can't.
there, feel better?
sheesh

in order to get 2 liters worth of displacement you will need to increase the stroke. it is imopssible to bore the block to a size that will yield anything more than 1.9 using the factory supplied crank of the 1.8 motor. that is unless you feel that pistons should make contact with each other, in which case my point is mute.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Talk to kkozma... he has one. REALLY nice... so jealous...[HR][/HR]​

You can email me with any questions... I never get enough of peole asking about my car.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (PhatazzMkIVJetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]CVOVP aka "Mr smarty Pants"....how do you figure it is not mathematically possible?.....it would be a 1.9 liter with 83.5mm pistons, rods, and have a machine shop bore it out for the pistons.....pluss you would need alot of other things in between....how would that not be possible? please tell me cause i know alot of people who have done this. I almost did this before i sold my rado
thanks
Big pimpin
[HR][/HR]​
wtf?

smarty pants? lol. ah i see you are one of those people.

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (cvovp)

quote:[HR][/HR]
wtf?

smarty pants? lol. ah i see you are one of those people.
[HR][/HR]​
I resemble that remark
But CVOVP first remarks are correct and not even close to being a smart assed remark. I've seen some remarks that are and have even made a few myself

If you want a to get a good idea of whats possible check out this link. It has a few charts at the bottom of the page: http://www.jrcmotorsports.com/engines.html

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (G60ING)

I never said you could keep the stock g60 1.8 liter crank....I was talking about the block itself....like I said above "and alot of other things in between".....and I also stated that you could get it to be a 1.9 liter not 2.0.....there is no way possible to get a 2.0 out of a g60 engine because 83.5mm is the biggest possible for a g60 block, so sorry I forgot to mention that you need a 2.0 liter crank
B

·
Registered
936 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (Iceman666)

OK you guys just got WAAYAYYA offf the subject!!!!!

what we want to know is how would a 2.0 ABA short block bolt into a G60 engine bay, I know the G60 head will bolt up to the 2.0 block now as far as retrofitting the G-ladder up to it is the big thing we want to know

plus can someone refresh my memory.....does the G60 tranny bolt up to the ABA block???
thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (VWturbo2Ltr)

quote:[HR][/HR]OK you guys just got WAAYAYYA offf the subject!!!!!

what we want to know is how would a 2.0 ABA short block bolt into a G60 engine bay, I know the G60 head will bolt up to the 2.0 block now as far as retrofitting the G-ladder up to it is the big thing we want to know

plus can someone refresh my memory.....does the G60 tranny bolt up to the ABA block???
thanks in advance[HR][/HR]​
You've just asked the biggest mystery question of all time! I've been trying to find out for months if a g-lader will work on an ABA. I would imagine as long as you can figure out how to mount it and where to relocate the alternator it should work... But, no one really knows for sure. The other big obstacle to overcome is the fact that MK3 ABA's have the intake on the wrong side, which brings up another question I've been trying to get answered. The MK4 ABA intake manifold has the intake on the "corrado correct " side and I'm trying to figure out if this thing will just bolt up to the MK3 ABA. Again, no one seems to know for sure.
As far as the tranny goes, yes it works just fine with the ABA.

·
Registered
37,533 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (BlackieVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]who is our other mod.? I know we had two didnt we?[HR][/HR]​
Three actually, Tommy, Jay, and myself. There are some globals that read here too.
Oh, Tommy, I won't call you names if you answer
I promise this time.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (VWturbo2Ltr)

quote:[HR][/HR] I know the G60 head will bolt up to the 2.0 block now as far as retrofitting the G-ladder up to it is the big thing we want to know [HR][/HR]​
I wouldnt beleive it til' i see it

There is a kid that works at a shop here in Utah who had a VR6 turbo put into his G60. He decided that he wanted a 16valve turbo, then he put in a 2.0 and tried throwing his stock G ladder on their! IT DIDNT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now hes back to the VR6.
I guess my question is, why would he want a 16v turbo when he already had the VR6, and then why a 2.0 when he had a 16v?
So, why do you guys want a 2.0 if your not putting G ladder on?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (sickvr666)

one reason would be that the forced induction is readily available for the 2.slow...uuuhhhemm 2.0.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Re: 2.0L motor swap for Corrado (ToddOne)

quote:[HR][/HR]one reason would be that the forced induction is readily available for the 2.slow...uuuhhhemm 2.0.
[HR][/HR]​
Which would be faster, VR6 turbo, 16v turbo, or a 2.0 turbo? VR6?
And if no g ladder is going on then which is faster, G60 or a 2.0???? G60?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts