VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering ifanyone has had this issue. I have looked at the gas cap and visually checked the hoses. I dont see anything . Is there a way to test this system for leaks? Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat 2.0T, 1994 E36 M3 3.0L, 2004 Silverado Z71 5.3L
1,818 Posts
Of course there are a handful of potential causes but when you have an EVAP system related fault one of the cheapest, quickest, go-to items to take care of is replacing the N80 purge solenoid. There are numerous DIYs floating around, it's extremely easy and the part is pretty cheap (~$30). Try VWPartsVortex for cheap genuine VW parts. A failing N80 purge solenoid produces a very audible and rythmic ticking which can be felt by hand if you touch the unit, however they always tick to some extent (just louder when they are failing) and there are lots of other noises competing with that noise (FSI is noisy/ticky engine) to begin with so usually best to just replace it anyway and see if that fixes it since it's cheap and easy.

How many miles on the vehicle and anything done other than routine maintenance lately?

Edit: I'm 95% sure I have an OE N80 unit with low miles in my parts bin but I'll be on vacation for the next week so if you had any interest I wouldn't be able to ship for a week. If you can wait I can save you some $$, just pay shipping.

Edit 2: I just checked and I don't have the N80, sorry! I musta sold it at some point and forgotten... Here's the part: https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-purge-control-valve-06e906517a

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Thy. I will check that. As for mileage it only has 77000 miles. I did replace the breather assemble. It had a busted diaphragm. But other than that nothing for the 10000 other then oil change.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
When did you replace that?

On a side note, since you brought up oil changes: I would strongly recommend you ignore VW on the 10k oil changes and do it more often if you intend to squeeze as much life out of your motor as possible. VW is trying to be competitive with all the other companies that trumpet 10k oil changes and all this other stuff that's supposed to make vehicles more marketable. While modern full synthetic oils are certainly capable of delivering good lubricity properties and performance at 10k even up to 15k oil changes that doesn't mean that you should go that far as they still do degrade/shear some in that time. Frequent oil changes are very cheap insurance for your motor. Without going into much more detail (unless you want it) I'd strongly recommend doing 5-6k OCIs instead, for whatever it's worth. I do them anywhere from 3-5k but that's extreme and my car gets heavy use which is part of the reason. For the average car seeing average use I believe 5-6k is plenty optimal/proactive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thy I do change my oil every 5000 miles. I couldnt even think about a 10000 mile oil change. I cringe when people go that long. I going to check my N80 valve today. I can get my parts at cost so I will pick one up locally. But thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Same issues:

001109 - EVAP System
P0455 - 001 - Large Leak Detected - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 215389 km
Time Indication: 0

Replaced my gas cap with a new one for $31 which did not solve the problem. Old gas cap was in poor condition anyway so this still was beneficial in my opinion. After another MIL light I hooked up VCDS and identified the N80 valve as being bad. Purchased a new one for $13 with clamps $2 and solved the problem permanently. The one interesting fault which pointed to the N80 being bad was difficulty starting after filling up with fuel - the cylinders would be too rich since the gas vapors in the tank were being pushed directly into the intake plenum and cylinders since the N80 was not closed and blocking.

Installed gas cap (3C8201550E) purchased from ECS Tuning for $31

Ordered the following from ECS Tuning:

Ear-Type Clamp Pliers ES#: 2748884 $29.95

Purge Valve ES#: 2574950, $12.95

Clamp ES#: 467623, 2 x $1.00 = $2.00

Old valve - must have been changed previously - note screw clamps

New and old valves appear to be physically identical

New and old valves appear to be physically identical

New valve installed with proper clamps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thy just wanted to thank you for the info on the N80 valve . I replaced it and no codes for a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You got it man, glad to help. PM if you need help with anything else down the line. I'm pretty active on here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts