VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys i'm getting back into the vw scene.. used to have a mk3 golf but sold it and i'm planning to buy another vw..a 94-98 jetta... well the question i have at hand is what would you guys choose...a turbo 2.0 or a vr6 (will probably turbo but not any time soon....money..) well see i can get a 2.0 jetta for cheap and have money left over to turbo it..or i can get a vr6 jetta now but stay very lienent on mods because of the overall price of a vr6 jetta and how much it costes for a mod on this engine... i love both engines and just want your inputs. the turbo will be faster obviously off the the start but if i turbo a vr6 i know i will smoke a 2.0 turbo...it's just that a vr6 is a very expensive engine and i know i will turbo it one day i just don't know if i have the patience for it... including parts for the vr6 is like triple the price it costes for a 2.0... but like everyone knows the vr6 is a beast...and max potential is a question too..like the vr6 will be at close to 300 hp with t3/t4 turbo set up at 9 pds.. (and that is not even maxed out) and the 2.0 will be at 210 with the same set up... (maxed out) so overall max potential and power is a question too...what do you guys think 2.0t and have good power from the start but limited overall or a vr6 slower now but faster (alot) later... these plans are gonna take place very soon so your input will be very helpful and please no search inputs...ughhh how annoying.. i did search but there is no question i've seen this specific...thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i'm also worried about reliability and max output... i know the vr6 tends to run hotter then usual, i know it will be even worst with turbo, what have you guys done to overcome this problem?? i was thinking oil cooler and better radiator???? plus max output is a issue, i know with a vr6+turbo+lsd+clutch=12 sec.... to get 12 sec in the 2.0 you have to do internal work to get it running reliable... so what you guys think???

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: (superGtjetta)

A 2.0L with a T3/T4 (pick a trim) will be nowhere close to maxed out at only 210WHP.....
The 2.0L is a nice, fairly bulletproof little engine. If you tune it correctly and do things right the first time (i.e., do lots of research in the FI Forum), it will hold up. Sure, you can ultimately make a lot more power with a VR6T, but a 2.0L FWD car making 200-250WHP in a 2,600lb chassis isn't all that bad. It will hold its' own, and be a fun little car.....not to mention a hell of a lot easier to work on than a VR. Best of both worlds...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: 2.0t or vr6 (superGtjetta)

I think the 2.0 is a great engine and very problem free. However, if going for performance, I'd just get the VR6 from the get go.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: (superGtjetta)

imo its your money and is going to be your car.....me personaly I like the 2.0 ,allthough have thought about a vr swap I just really dont want all that weight in the front,lack of room to work on,price of parts etc etc.If your looking to make massive power just do a head swap and turbo the h*ll outa that funker
(especialy in a state with no emissions
)
P.S. be sure to get a lsd diff 1st....or else
over a blown diff

·
Registered
245 Posts
Re: (not SoQuick)

Definately get a vr6, your car will be so much more impressive, i like my 2.0 but its just not fast in a straight line. im runnin high 16's with a little under 1000 dollars worth of mods. i wish i saved my money and got the vr6. but i do like my 2.0

·
Registered
91 Posts

Dude.... Vr6 all the way... nothing beats the torq and the sound of a vr

you ll still have fun with that vr6 NA and in long term you ll rape all 2.0 turboed

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
This question is more of a personal question it would be hard for the vortex answer this question because in the long run if you go because someone else suggestion you may be screwed.Ask yourself can I afford a vr6's maintenance parts?if I get a abused vr6 can I swap all the worn seals etc and rebuild the engine from the bottom up?do I drive long distances for work leisure etc?can I afford the vr6's average gas mileage according to your states gas prices?A vr6 is a great engine but a 2.0 8v is also almost any vw engine can be modified to put out some good numbers but it's all about your pockets and how fat/slim they are.Me personally I'm building a 2.0 because a vr6 is a very expensive engine to maintain and modify(properly) and at the moment I can't afford that it doesn't mean the vr6 is a bad engine but I can't deal with the headaches that can come into running a vr6 especially turbo ed I feel like this.If I turbo a vr6 and a aba if they both end up blowing up for some reason I can get a aba from the wrecker for about $200 how much would a vr be?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

with all that in mind!
Ill say 2.0L turbo or supercharged if you care about reliablity!
first insurance, better with the 2.0!
Its was an ouch on my wallet when i wanted a VR!
Second the engine!
The 2.0l 4 cylinder have maded is proof over the years as reliable and tuff!
I dont say that the VR is weak but i have seen a lot of VR tuned that was pissing oil couple a miles later!
Power is great but weight is a major factor 2!
My 2 cents...

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: (dubspeed85)

Quote, originally posted by dubspeed85 »
you should go with the 2.0 but alos spend the extra 75 to 100 for the 1.8 alone that about 130 hp

Alright.. that doesn't make sense.
I would say stick with the 2.0L, especially when adding some sort of forced induction system. Key feature for me being: weight, availability/price of parts (OEM or aftermarket), ease of adjustments/modifcations. In each of these areas, the 2.0L is better, as it weighs considerably less then a VR, parts are easier to get and cheaper, and any work you would have to do to the engine is considerably easier/cheaper.
Not to mention, coolness factor. How many 250-300 whp 2.0L engines do you see running around?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts