VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have a $100 bet that i can keep up with a stock 350z by at least .5sec in the 1/4.
now the driver of the Z isnt the best, in other words, he drives like a kid...
so the 350z is stock... 3600pounds v6 290whp (or so he claims)
my GTI... 2130pounds with me in it, quaiffe, 230whp @10psi (will be running 18psi on track) i dunno how much 18psi will bring, but im guessing 270whp?
plus i will be running a set of slicks...

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: 2.0T vs. 350z (the4ork)

With that weight and power, with slicks and a good launch, you should wax his ass. My car weighs about 2600 with me in it, and ~210whp, I run low 13's all day and walk on stock and slightly modded Z's. With your power and lower weight, you should be dipping into the 12's, which no Z is doing with bolt ons. Take it to the track and find out.

·
Registered
12,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2.0T vs. 350z (VDUBNDizzy)

now lets just hope i dont blow my diff. with the sticky slicks.

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: 2.0T vs. 350z (95' GLX VR6)

You have a quaiffe, you'll be fine. As for losing the hundred, only one way to find out, and I think you'll do just fine.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Re: 2.0T vs. 350z (germanrox)

First off the kid your racing in a Z claiming 290whp is full of $hit. Most stock Z's dyno 230-240whp. Second, the heaviest Z weighs a little over 3200 lbs, not 3600 lbs. For a Z to hit 290 whp it needs i/h/e/cams/and some slight tuning. MNost run pulleys, plenums, and high flow cats as well. Unless he has all of that he is nowhere near 290whp. And if he can drive he will go 13's stock and trap 100+. If he sucks he will go low 14's @ around 100mph. I know all of this because my friend has an 03 Z. 241 whp stock, 13.77 @ 101.4 stock, and now with a few bolt-ons he traps 104, doesnt even have headers. You wouldnt even have to turn up your boost to win. What does the Z have done?

Modified by stvo at 1:59 PM 5-26-2004

Modified by stvo at 2:00 PM 5-26-2004

·
Registered
12,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2.0T vs. 350z (stvo)

the Z is completely stock everything. like it just rolled off the lot.
no im not tuned at 18psi... i run 10-12 normally and bump it to 15 at the track. it runs well at 15 though.

·
Registered
8,493 Posts

How can you say it runs well at 15psi if you haven't tuned it for that? Turning up the boost does not always mean increased performance, just look at a k03

·
Registered
12,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 2.0T vs. 350z (germanrox)

its tuned for 15 at the dyno, but i keep it down for fuel mileage and less stress

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Re: 2.0T vs. 350z (stvo)

Quote, originally posted by stvo »
the heaviest Z weighs a little over 3200 lbs, not 3600 lbs.

I really am not sure how much the new Zs weigh but I can tell you that my brother's Z32 twin turbo weighs 4200 lbs. He also has a Corrado G60 turbo on 13 lbs of boost street driven (does 20 lbs on the track) And at a rolling start the corrado walks the Z in 3rd gear on 13 lbs, but thats due to an 02A ACG trans. Now my brothers Z was stock when we tested them, and down a lb of boost cause the turbos were leaking. If you put the boost up to 15lbs you'll deffinatly will win. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
673 Posts
Re: 2.0T vs. 350z (CorradoG60)

wow, what did you do to that Z32? add a 500lb fat chick and her twin sister?
I have a '90 Twin Turbo, and bone stock, full interior, AC, T tops (heavy ass glass panels), the weigh station on the freeway had me at 3350...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: 2.0T vs. 350z (mahkra)

Quote, originally posted by mahkra »
wow, what did you do to that Z32? add a 500lb fat chick and her twin sister?
I have a '90 Twin Turbo, and bone stock, full interior, AC, T tops (heavy ass glass panels), the weigh station on the freeway had me at 3350...

Lol I was thinkin the same thing.

He must have read the gross weight and mistook it for actual weight. No way a stock bodied/interior Z32 is gonna weight anything over 3500lbs(and even thats pushin it). 4ork keep us updated on your results. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: 2.0T vs. 350z (ElWapo973)

went to the track over the weekend and pulled a [email protected] but i want to get into a 13. im ordering a wideband shortly, so when i get that i can tune for more boost

·
Registered
303 Posts

What were your 60ft times? With a 103 trap you should be good for mid 13s.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

Quote, originally posted by the4ork »
my 60ft was bad, i was on street tires... 195/45/14 federals

As I said before, you are going to lose because VW's are FWD and the Z is rear wheel drive. It isn't easy launching a powerful FWD car without a lot of practice.[

·
Registered
303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 95' GLX VR6 »
As I said before, you are going to lose because VW's are FWD and the Z is rear wheel drive. It isn't easy launching a powerful FWD car without a lot of practice.

Tell that to the half dozen+ All-Motor VR6 guys barely at 200whp and weighing 2-300lbs more than this guy running low 13s all day long on street tires
. More than a few people have achieved good results with front drivers time and time again(keep in mind I'm not denying RWD has an advantage, but FWD isn't complete ass as you make it out to be). By your logic a 1st gen Mazda miata should out run a Corrado VR6 just because of the drive setup differences. There's a lot more to it than that. I'm sorry but on this topic you're just completely wrong.
I'll throw in some info of my own on top of whats been given by the original poster. On his practice run 4ork managed low 14s on relatively low boost(care to give an exact number on that psi?) and street tires. On top of that the tires he ran on are anemic(barely 21inches diameter
). Given the numbers he managed to run on those tires I'm positive by just upgrading to a taller wider street tire(say 205/50-15
) he could break in to the mid-upper 13s with little trouble at all. Now he says he will be running slicks when he faces off with the Z. If he runs slicks(and as long as your drivetrain holds) all he has to is hold revs at 5k+ rpms, drop the clutch(hardly a difficult task, as long as he doesn't mind abusing his car a little bit) and he should see sub 2.0 60fts all day long. With more boost of course comes more power and then he will see higher Mph on his timeslips, and if that holds true then he will have more room to work with on lowering his E.T. Where right now he is working on getting down to low 13s at 103mph with slicks and current boost levels, afterwords he could work on getting mid 12s at around 110 with the added boost. Keep in mind though, practicing means just as much as your setup does so make sure you get as much seat time as you can beforehand or you won't see anything close to these numbers.
From what I've seen first hand and from a few Z owners I've spoken to with a decent driver a stock 350z can do high 13s no problem(contrary to the low 14sec rating most mags have tested at). So I hope your friend is a good driver and at least has a few bolt-ons otherwise he wont just lose he'll get humiliated. If he's lucky(or just lying about his mods) then he may run low 13s and give you a good race.
Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts