VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've read through all of the ABA 8v stroker threads I could find on Vortex but still have a couple of questions that weren't answered. I'm seriously considering building a 2.1 8v for my 91 GTI in the spring, and even got a second job to try to save money for parts. I know it won't be cheap, but I want to stay true to the 8v and I'm not looking for absurd amounts of power. Here's the thing--this is a daily-driven car except in winter, and I'm concerned because I read a few threads that said a stroker setup wasn't suitable for a daily driver and the setup would probably need to be rebuilt around 10k miles. Is this true? What are your experiences with this kind of engine? Help a girl out!

TIA.

· Registered
401 Posts
Re: 2.1 stroker, a couple Qs (crazyreesie)

I had a 2.1L 8V in a rabbit I used to daily drive. Well it drives very nice due to the amount of torque it has. I ran the 288 tt cam solid lifter with a full race ported head. You will need an after market oil cooler...the factory one will not cut it. If the motor is built right it sould last at least 100,000 befor ea rebuild. The reason I didnot like it was that it didnt rev very high and thats just not my thing.. The car did run 13 sec quarters but the power band was really flat in every gear and had a redline of 6500 rpm. That to me was not fun. Daily driving YES...Racing it no fun. The guy I sold it to still races that motor for hours at a time at a local road track. I'm going to build a 1.9L next...a 1.8L crank with 2L size pistons...Not thats going to rev and probley be fast than the 2.1L.

· Registered
8,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2.1 stroker, a couple Qs (2litersanda40oz)

Well, like I said it's going to be daily driven and maybe an occasional autocross just for fun, not super competitively, and I don't really care too much about drag racing. I'm just looking to build a fun, slightly different street car. For my purposes, would I just be better off sticking with a regular 2L block and spending the money on other things?
Thanks for the help. Anyone else?

· Registered
401 Posts

Yeah i would save the money and just go with the standard 2L. Its not a real big jump in power like it is going from a 1.8L to a 2.0L. For the money you spend on a 2.1L...you can have 2L with a nice ported head and good cam that will run strong. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
13,236 Posts
Re: 2.1 stroker, a couple Qs (show-n-with-hubs)

Well, I can give you my point of view. If you have the money to throw at it then I would go for the stroker. There will be gains! If you are going to build one for FI and will be doing it "Right", then you will likely be getting Forged lower compression pistons anyway. That about $400 alone, so it is kind of lesser of a hit when you are considering 2.1.
now i don't think I could break down and pay $2,500 for the Autotech kit even with it's knife edged counter weights. A nice kit, but very steep... You can source the parts yourself and put a kit together much cheaper than that.
S

· Registered
8,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2.1 stroker, a couple Qs (sdezego)

Thanks to everyone who has offered feedback so far. I don't plan on building this engine for FI or nitrous; like I said, I want a reliable fun daily driver. I don't really care that I don't have the fastest car on the road. So I think as of right now I am going to stick with the 2.0 so I have enough money for other things (I also need a new clutch and I want a respray).
I looked into the Autotech kit and priced some parts and I know that it can be done more cheaply than the Autotech kit. Still, I don't think it's where my priorities lie right now.

· Registered
8,171 Posts

I have a 2096 GTI and a 2117 truck motor at the machine shop. I also have a 2.0 Scirocco. The Scirocco isn't as powerful as the GTI but still it makes 150 at the wheels. These are all 16V. It's more $/hp to go 2.1. I would put the $ into the head instead and get a nice 2.0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.