VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1991 MKII Volkswagen VW Jetta 1.8L with pulley/belt swap (rebuilt motor and my winter car)
Also Upgraded rear springs off of a Passat B3/B5 to handle the weight.

VW JETTA has

Head Unit Kenwood KDC-X895
Front stage is garbage LOL (not stock, but still nothing special)
3 Runs of 1/0 Gauge OFC Power
3 Runs of 1/0 Gauge OFC Ground
No.1 Copper Bus Bars (99.7% + pureness)
1 XS Power D3400
2 XS Power XP3000
380 Amp Iraggi Alternator (14.7v cold and 14.5 hot) (For a 99-04 chevy)
Exile X5 Amplifier wired @ 1 ohm
2 12 inch Sundown Z.3 Subs (NS-2 Coils/Cones upgrade)
Birchwood box. Tuned Around 32-34 hertz. About 5-5.5 cubic feet
1 Layer of Dynamat in the trunk
1 layer of 8MM foam through out the whole car and in the trunk

Amp and head unit tuned with the SMD DD-1 (used maximum sound quality track)
Voltage never drops below 13.6 with the revs up on heavy bass.
Too fit the box. I literally had to hammer down the corners of my trunk. Sand the corners of the box. And hammer down some of the floor in the trunk. And remove the spare tire.

Video was filmed with a Canon 600d (60 FPS @ 720p) and we used an external mic

Songs
Lil Wyte Gun Down Ft. Frayser Boy and Partee
Album Still Doubted?

4's City by 4 Legacy
How Low Remix Ludacris

Volkswagen MkII Build pictures by jockhater2 - Photobucket

2 12 inch Sundown Z.3 subs on 5000 watts @ 1 ohm VW Jetta MKII 380 amp Alternator - YouTube

2 12 Sundown Z.3s on 5000 watts Volkswagen Jetta Ludacris How Low Remix - YouTube

2 12 inch Sundown Z.3 subwoofers on 5000 watts MKII Jetta Tuned with SMD DD-1 - YouTube

A big thanks to my buddy Damon for tapping the copper bars for me for free.
And to my job for giving me the copper for free.
Also to a huge thanks to @mylows10 and @keep_hope_alive @dbeez

Dbeez built my box. mylows and keep hope alive answered a ton of questions I had and helped me learn a lot through the whole project.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Nice. How does the 3100 fit in the stock location? I didn't watch the videos yet but what do you do on the term?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. How does the 3100 fit in the stock location? I didn't watch the videos yet but what do you do on the term?

I wish I could fit a 3100 in the stock place. I could if I had a manual steering car. But because I have power steering the reservoir gets in the way. The biggest I could fit was a d3400.

I have no idea. It's a daily driver set up. But it should be 148.

The videos are in the first post.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
FV-QR

i know GTi and Jetta are way different for audio but in my GTi it's a little louder with port back driver side. but im only on a single 10.

When you gonna chop put the rear and put sub forward port forward and seal it off?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know GTi and Jetta are way different for audio but in my GTi it's a little louder with port back driver side. but im only on a single 10.

When you gonna chop put the rear and put sub forward port forward and seal it off?
The guy who built my box said that it would be loudest with the port facing sideways on driver side.

And putting the subs facing forward would be pointless because they would just put against the back seat. Since the mk2's back seats don't fold down. ANd the car is a daily driver along with the system. For instance. I just had 4 people in the car last night. so I still need it to function as if it were stock.

The last thing I am going to do this year. Is put in a 2nd alternator to help when I am sitting at red lights and night time driving. Even with the 380amp alternator the 3 batteries. Voltage is still a bit of an issue.

And if/when I ever blow these zv3s. I plan on getting them reconed by PSI and having them built to handle the 2500RMS.
Because I can't fit Sundowns NS model because the zv3s already sit right on top of the ports wall. So I can't fit any subs that are taller.

Like it says in my build. I had to smash the corners of the trunk, sand the corners of the box, smash the floor of the trunk, remove the spare tire and remove the rear deck so that I could get the box in. I can't fit anything bigger unless I had it built in the trunk. But then that wouldn't be a daily driver. What happens when I need the box out of the trunk.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
switching to ascendant audio mayhem 12s.
Dual .7 ohm subs.
2500RMS a piece from the factory. They are $1100 new together.
Weight 62lbs a piece.

Sold the sundowns. They didn't like how big my box was.

Will post videos once I get the new 12s in. And a pair of 12s that will actually handle my amp.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Those AA mayhem beat real good. When ever I get the funds I'm gonna step up to 2 12's

Right now I'm only beating on 1 10" Re old mean machine 1400.1 metered a 136 on the kick with door open.

I'm happy I get flex with single 10.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those AA mayhem beat real good. When ever I get the funds I'm gonna step up to 2 12's

Right now I'm only beating on 1 10" Re old mean machine 1400.1 metered a 136 on the kick with door open.

I'm happy I get flex with single 10.

switching to the mayhems because the sundowns didn't like the 5.5 cubic foot box. and because of the box size wouldn't take 5k.

Old school mean machines are nice amps!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Going to build a new box.
34-36 hertz with aeroports.
And 4ft3 after sub displacement.

The box I have now is too efficient. I have the gain at 1/2 of clipping power on the amp. So I am missing out on a lot of volume.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.