VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
19,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's my scenario, 1991 DigiII 8v, Mods are strictly bolt-on affiars for now. I'm looking at getting an exhaust system that is of a 2.5" size. From what i've learnt, the bigger the diameter, the greater the loss of low-end power. Ultimately, I'd like to have as much in the low end as possible. The problem lies within cost, the 2.5" exhaust is dirt cheap to buy. Cost being a deciding factor. I'm pretty sure 2.25 is the most common choice, since not much is lost on the low-end.
My question is this, Since the flow is only as great as the smallest opening in the exhaust system, can I not just weld in a 2.25" reducer, or a 2.25" muffler? Will that give me the same effect (or resonably close to the effect) of a full 2.25" exhaust system? Anyways the 2.5" system is crush-bent, so there will be some reduction in pipe diameter anyways . . .
(I'm a plumber, it works in the plumbing world, i'm guessing it will work in the exhaust world)
- dac

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: 2.25 vs 2.5 exhaust . . . with a twist. (Big Dac With Fries)

choking the exhaust at the muffler does not give the same effect as running a whole 2.25" exhaust. i run a mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust, but then again all the parts i had lying here were 2.5" and i'm going turbo soon.go to eurosport or something, a 2.25" mandrel bent aluminized exhaust is dirt cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.