VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm sure a lot of you have seen the mod to remove the noise pipe, either by plugging the hole at the "Y-pipe" and removing the noise pipe completely or replacing the Y-Pipe and the noise pipe with the A3's intake pipe. Well I went about it a different way. This works well for those who aren't sure if they want to get rid of the noise or are not sure what the noise really is and want to test it out before commiting to the A3 pipe and $65. This is a mod that can be done by any idiot with a screw driver and enough skill to pull a hose fitting apart.
1. Trace the noise pipe back to the hose that connects the noise pipe to the Y-Pipe, instead of going completely to the sourse like the other mods, we are going to do the 3 minute fix instead. The pipe we are looking for is right up front, between the engine cover and the radiator support to the right of the Dipstick. Once you have found that, grab your screw driver.
2. You will need a 1.5" test plug. I found it at the local hardware store right around the corner from my house...pretty small hardware store so if they have it it should be common place to find it at Lowes or Home Depot too.

3. Use a regualar old screw driver to pull up and release the retaining clip on the pipe fitting. You can also use a pair of pliers too. pull it until it stops. Don't force this!

4. Then you need to carefully take the ring out, notice the ends of the clip, I suggest use the screw driver and gently pry out on the ends and pull it out one end at a time.

5. Pull the hose out of the fitting, this should come out pretty easily.

6. this is where I put the 1.5" test plug.

7. Notice the outer ring and the ribbed plug. This one was perfect for what I wanted to do.

8. Insert the plug into the hose end.

9. Tighten it down with the wing nut, good and tight. Hand tight is fine, don't overdo it.

10. Insert the plugged hose back into the hose fitting.

11. Make sure the hose fitting fits flush and reinsert the retaining clip.
12. Done! Not even enough time to casually drink a ________.

What I like about this way of doing it, it is reversable in 3 minutes if you don't like it, there is no need to remove your intake/engine cover, the plug can't go anywhere with that ring on the plug, so there is no fear of it coming loose (road trip friendly). And, if the plug leaks, there is no boost leak as it would just leak out into the same pipe that came from the factory.
Cost = $2.49 (probably cheaper at Lowes/Home Depot)
Time = 3 minutes
Skill Level = 1 out of 10
Chance VW voids warranty on sight alone = 0%
Chance of boost leak = 0% more than stock parts
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

(Edited to transfer picture links)

Modified by vdubnut_mike at 10:34 AM 2-22-2008

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (placenta) (Kc1688)

Thank you. I made a comment about this in Digitalhippie's post, so I thought I would just try it myself... and expand on a already great Idea, but keep it simpler for those who don't want to take their car apart for a mod. (leasers) http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Re: (vdubnut_mike)

Why are more and more people doing this? Is it really that loud or is there another reason?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: (Under_Dog)

Quote, originally posted by Under_Dog »
Why are more and more people doing this? Is it really that loud or is there another reason?

x2. I don't have my car yet to I can't really comment on the noise. I mean it can't be that bad.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Re: (D.Passat00)

Quote, originally posted by D.Passat00 »
it's supposed to give a better throttle response

only if you remove the pipe... This way is just a noise remover. You're only actually cutting out maybe 5 inches of pipe, there's still the other 3 feet...
It's a nice cheap way to see if you want to keep the noise or get rid of it though. No real work, cheap, easy.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Re: (theanticivic)

Quote, originally posted by theanticivic »
only if you remove the pipe... This way is just a noise remover. You're only actually cutting out maybe 5 inches of pipe, there's still the other 3 feet...
It's a nice cheap way to see if you want to keep the noise or get rid of it though. No real work, cheap, easy.

isn't the charge air going from right to left in this pic?

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Re: (theanticivic)

Quote, originally posted by theanticivic »

no. you are cutting out MOST of the pipe with this method.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Re: (placenta)

Quote, originally posted by placenta »

no. you are cutting out MOST of the pipe with this method.

ya.... i just don't like having that y section there cause the air seems like it would get stuck in that pocket... although it's inbetween keeping in and completly removing it... haha so maybe you get half the throttle response?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Re: (Under_Dog)

i read this and was bored so i went to HD and got one. The only issue I had was the wingnut on top was too big to fully refit the hoses. It seemed a little tighter throttle response but honestly, my car is more responsive on some days so it really might be moot. It is very noticeably quiter in the cabin though. I haven't removed the firewall side of the noise pipe to look but is that end a 1.5" as well? I may decide to plug that end and quiet the cabin even more.
To those that ask...I did this purely out of boredom. I can't even install my own springs so an automotive type I am not, but for 2.44 and 20 mins, I feel pretty good about myself...

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Re: (placenta)

Quote, originally posted by placenta »
ya.. from the bottom of that hose.. then you plug it so it cant go to the long pipe.

ok, makes sense. i guess if you plug at the bottom of the rubber hose, then i'd be even better, but that's a little harder to get to.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Re: (Double-V)

Quote, originally posted by Double-V »
I rather like the sound the car makes...

I do too. I just did this becuase its something i can do. to be honest, I may plug the hole going into the firewall and remove the pipe....but I will prolly put it back a while after. I am just having fun

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.