VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm new to the forums, and working on my 3rd 2.5 engine.
This is a 2012 Passat. I've confirmed not from the accessory area of the engine (acoustically confirmed from the rear of engine and loudest above the valve cover near the middle.
Here is a link to the video:

Here is a couple more:

I am lost for what this is without taking off the valve cover.

I don't expect many if any to have an explanation or idea or suggestion. The belts, pulleys and tensioners are good.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2008 VW Rabbit, MT, 3-door
169 Posts
No, I do not have an idea yet.

But there are two things I would do.

One is to, with engine off, shake it, move it, with my hands. If that is a mount or the elastic exhaust pipe, it will squeak.

Second - to definitely exclude the belts, put a wrench on the tensioner and when the engine is running and squeaking, release the tension what should stop the belt from spinning other pulleys.
Sure, there is AC as well, so this one may be disconnected separately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You think it is possible the flex pipe is loose/damaged?
I have been reluctant to take off the belts for pulley/tensioner as the sound is clearly coming from the valve body area, but not necessarily the valve body. That is not a sound possible from the valve area, I believe.
I'll give it a go and remove belts and run car for 5 mins to see if we have the anomaly. It is strange.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Do not completely remove them.
correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the main belt (water pump) is loaded using spring tensioner, right? Then simply use a wrench to lift it up when the engine is running. Of course, I assume you know how to do it safely.

Can the flex be damaged? Yes, mine is... and mine leaks.
But it may be squeaky before it gives up (rust on the net).

·
Registered
803 Posts
Sounds like something that is turning with a bad pulley bearing. Sounds can bounce around the engine bay pretty easy. I would use a mechanics stethoscope before ruling anything out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds like something that is turning with a bad pulley bearing. Sounds can bounce around the engine bay pretty easy. I would use a mechanics stethoscope before ruling anything out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
If you don't have access to one of these tools, you can use a long screwdriver with the handle touching your ear while touching the metal end to the suspect part. It will transmit any vibrations almost as well as the mechanic's stethoscope. I've seen several mechanics do this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you don't have access to one of these tools, you can use a long screwdriver with the handle touching your ear while touching the metal end to the suspect part. It will transmit any vibrations almost as well as the mechanic's stethoscope. I've seen several mechanics do this.
They are cheap.
Get one for like a few dollars from Harbor Freight...
I have one and it is great tool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts