VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had the car checked out yesterday by FourSeasonTuning, mainly to make sure that the car is functioning within parameters of the UM tune. Some logs were taken and sent to Jeff for review, and came back all spot on and ready to roll. This officially concludes phase 1 of my build, so i'm just creating a thread documenting the progress and sharing some of the pieces that I've learn, and the parts (some alternatives from the mainstream) that i'm using.

So here's the start of the car, bone stock 2012 JSW 2.5 5mt, purchased with 39k miles on it

The first things that I did to it was to move some parts over from the mk6 Golf, because the Golf will be up for sale after the JSW is road ready.
GTI Front brakes

I also moved the Nav, headlights, foglights, rear sway bar, OEM Audi 17" with 235/45/17, and Steering wheel over, but don't have good pictures of them

In Jan 2016, I dropped the car off at JDL Auto Design in Phoenix for the turbo install. I tried to arrange to have the tune done within the same week, but couldn't make it happen. After some deliberation, we decided to install the turbo hardware minus fueling and tuning, and I'll gently drive the car home. Thanks to Ronnie and Jesse and the gang, I was on my way home at the end of the week, with the turbo hardware installed, but running on stock injector and stock tune.

Once I get home (safe and sound), I removed the ECU and shipped it over to UM for tuning. While that is being done, I worked on the fueling for the car. I found an ebay seller who sells the Bosch 550cc injectors for much cheaper than others, and can get you Nippon adapters too. His ebay listings are all for 4 or 6 cylinders, but he has his phone number at the bottom of the listing, so I texted him to see if he can sell me 5. He has absolutely no problem doing that, and within a week, I have the injectors in my hands(for half what it would cost everywhere else too).

Next up, i worked on the fuel pump to make sure it can keep up. I originally was pointed to the Deutsche Werks DW65v as an in-tank replacement sending unit. Upon research, i found an alternative. A company here in socal called HighFlowFuel makes a direct competitor of the DW65v. The model number is HFP-A35HV, and is claimed to flow better than the DW65v. I reached out to the company, and have a fuel sending unit in my hands within a few days. Upon initial inspection, the unit looks well built, is hefty and solid, so I have no concerns with putting it into the car. When it's time to remove my original fuel pump to do the upgrade, i hit a snag: I couldn't figure out how to take apart my stock pump, and it looks nothing like what people are posting online. Upon more research, I found out that the mk5 came with a "serviceable" pump, while the later cars came with the non-serviceable pumps. The good news is that it's interchangeable. Some forum members helped me out with the part number, and I bought a used pump off of ebay (since i'll be replacing the sending unit with the upgraded unit anyways)
my stock "non serviceable" pump, part number 1k0 919 051 DA

here's the serviceable pump, part number 1k0 919 051 AP

and here's a side by side comparison of the sending units, the stock one at the top, and the HighFlowFuel one at the bottom

Once the fueling is done, I waited patiently for the ECU to come back. The ECU took a while, a whole 7 weeks from the day I shipped it. It was painful to stare at my JSW on the drive way but couldn't drive it. Fortunately, I still have my UM stage 1 Golf to drive around, so it was bearable.

While waiting for for the ECU to come back, I did a quick "test fit" of the UM SRI to see how much the charge pipe would need to be modified to fit. There "appears" to be a good amount that needs to be changed. The pipe would be too close to the new location of the throttle body, so you can't even get away with elbows and such. I said "appears" to be, because once I remove the coupler to the throttle body, I noticed that the pipe actually have quite a bit of room to move. There's probably still not enough room to do a series of elbows, but fortunately, I found an offset reducing coupler. I haven't had a chance to try it, but I think it'd work. That will be phase 2 of the build, along with upping the boost with a manual boost controller.

Once I got the ECU back, I popped it in, and the car started up and idled without issues. However, I have several codes from the removal of the SAI system. After some email exchanges with [email protected] and Ronnie, along with research on the forum, I put in a resistor(330 ohms, 1/2 watt) where the engine wiring harness plugs into the Solenoid Valve (backside of the head), and this took care of code P0413. I also found a sensor on one of the SAI hoses that was removed, and plugged that into the harness next to the head(but just tucked away and dangling in the engine bay), above the transmission, and this took care of code P2432. Once those are done, the car have no codes, and runs fine. I finally had the chance to get the car over to [email protected] to datalog and look over. James sent the logs over to [email protected], and Jeff confirmed that everything looks spot on. I also asked James to test drive the car, just because he has much more experience with aftermarket turbo cars, and he commented that the car drives smooth, pulls hard once boosting, and overall performs pretty good. He was slightly surprised to hear that I'm still running the stock clutch, but later commented that I got lucky, because VW changed the clutch on the 2.5 somewhere in 2012 back to a single mass, which is basically a VR6 stock clutch setup, and it holds much better. I think the fact that I'm running a .82 AR (later spool) also helps things. The car doesn't make full boost(all 7.5 psi for now) until 3500 rpm, but once it's making full boost, it pulls pretty well. The .82 AR combined with the taller gears of the 2012 makes the car a bit laggy, so I'm contemplating a .63 housing. I have no budget for it right now, but am keeping an eye out for one, perhaps from someone with a blown turbo.

I have already purchased stock R suspension, which is supposed to firm up the car, without sacrificing ground clearance on a JSW. I'll probably install that over the summer. I'll probably turn up the boost after the suspension is in, and try to find out where the stock clutch's limit is. I am planning for a new clutch next year, perhaps an LSD at the same time. But for now, the car runs and drives well, and I'm happy with it.

BTW, the JSW also does this:

Peter

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I originally had a soft goal of 350hp at the crank(310-320 at the wheel) or 15 psi, whichever comes first, and when I talked to Scott Y, he informed me that the stock fuel pump is good for about 350. I figure, to be on the safe side and have 1 less thing to worry about, I'd just get it swapped out as a part of the built.

However, [email protected] mentioned that I'm already at 70% fuel, so I may only be able to go up to 11-12 psi. I may fall short of the 350hp goal after all.

How much boost pressure are you guys running on 550cc injectors? UM tune is more applicable, but info on any tune welcomed. Thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
686 Posts
I originally had a soft goal of 350hp at the crank(310-320 at the wheel) or 15 psi, whichever comes first, and when I talked to Scott Y, he informed me that the stock fuel pump is good for about 350. I figure, to be on the safe side and have 1 less thing to worry about, I'd just get it swapped out as a part of the built.

However, [email protected] mentioned that I'm already at 70% fuel, so I may only be able to go up to 11-12 psi. I may fall short of the 350hp goal after all.

How much boost pressure are you guys running on 550cc injectors? UM tune is more applicable, but info on any tune welcomed. Thanks.

Peter
With 550cc injectors, I had no problems at 16-18psi on a precision 5558 turbo, which should equate to around 320-350whp. I had an inline walbro pump at the time to help supplement. That's as far as I went with 550s, not because they were limiting, but I jumped up to 1200cc injectors and whole new fuel system in preparation for the bigger turbo before I ever turned up boost on the 5558.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With 550cc injectors, I had no problems at 16-18psi on a precision 5558 turbo, which should equate to around 320-350whp. I had an inline walbro pump at the time to help supplement. That's as far as I went with 550s, not because they were limiting, but I jumped up to 1200cc injectors and whole new fuel system in preparation for the bigger turbo before I ever turned up boost on the 5558.
Thanks. Who did the tune? Since you have an 09, I assume that's MAP also? I've heard that the MAF cars are more flexible, so it's great news to see a MAP car doing 16-18 psi on 550's, and making great powet(I'd be thrilled to make 350 whp)

Anyone else with data to share?

Peter

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks. Who did the tune? Since you have an 09, I assume that's MAP also? I've heard that the MAF cars are more flexible, so it's great news to see a MAP car doing 16-18 psi on 550's, and making great powet(I'd be thrilled to make 350 whp)

Peter
405 crank hp at 6700/min., 367 on the wheels, max. torque 490 Nm at 4200-5000.min, max. boost 15 psi, Bosch 550 injectors, engine BGQ, tune JD engineering Netherlands.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
405 crank hp at 6700/min., 367 on the wheels, max. torque 490 Nm at 4200-5000.min, max. boost 15 psi, Bosch 550 injectors, engine BGQ, tune JD engineering Netherlands.
Great numbers! BGQ would mean it's a MAF car, right?

Peter

·
Registered
686 Posts

Peter

UM tune. MAP car. Don't have any dyno numbers from that stage unfortunately.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UM tune. MAP car. Don't have any dyno numbers from that stage unfortunately.
that's reassuring. guess we'll see what happens when I turn up the boost on mine. Thanks!

Peter

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I have always been thinking the tubo oil return should be down.
It is... the picture you see shown is the feed line. The PTE center sections are set up so you can thread in adapter (as shown) or you can bolt on a flanged adapter with a gasket.

Great looking build! :wave:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Some more bits of what has been done to the car

P3cars vidi with track pack so i can see the AFR(among other things), rline steering wheel, and 8" navigation

Cut off from the projector HID

Peter

·
Registered
349 Posts
It is... the picture you see shown is the feed line. The PTE center sections are set up so you can thread in adapter (as shown) or you can bolt on a flanged adapter with a gasket.

Great looking build! :wave:
Thanks! I never have seen a turbo with a flange on the oil intake side, used at Borg-Warner stuff, that's why I thought the return was on top.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks guys,

I actually think it's a fairly modest build. Mainly looking to satisfy my thirst for more power, without attracting TOO much attention. I think the 3" exhaust gives it away a bit though... speaking of that, I should probably share the system that I used, in case anyone else searches the forum for a JSW specific exhaust for a turbo build.

http://www.fixmyvw.com/mk5-mk6-jetta-catback-by-buzzken/

Within the page, you can select different options for engine, body style (JSW included), size of the piping, whether you want a muffler or not, etc. I went with 3" piping, mating to 3" downpipe, with a muffler. It came out to be $565 shipped to SoCal. The finish of the system itself looks good. But since the whole system from the engine back got changed, much of it was mocking up and welding on the spot, so I can't speak much to fitting the system to a stock downpipe (non turbo car).

I had JDL add a cat to it as a part of the install. Right now, I'm considering having a resonator added to reduce cabin drone around 2500rpm. I don't find it too bad, but wife complained about it while we were towing @60 mph. I had to downshift to 3rd, to keep the RPM above 3k.

Peter

1 - 20 of 50 Posts