VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1721 - 1727 of 1727 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
It’ll be a plus if the old block has a forged crank. I read somewhere VW had scattered forged cranks in some but not all of the BGP/ BGQ blocks. I need to stop dragging my feet & just disassemble it already.
I didn't know that! Is there a means to find them without opening engines? I'd imagine we can just grab one of those cranks and toss some forged rods and uprated pistons in for a fun high hp time?

Question: With IE Rods and aftermarket pistons, how much can we safely make on these motors? My next step is to grab a wrecker engine and start sourcing rods and pistons to build a mild engine.

Would love to know what people are making on rods & pistons and what tune.

·
Registered
85 Jetta TD Wolfsburg, 02 337 GTI, 09 JSW
196 Posts
I didn't know that! Is there a means to find them without opening engines? I'd imagine we can just grab one of those cranks and toss some forged rods and uprated pistons in for a fun high hp time?

Question: With IE Rods and aftermarket pistons, how much can we safely make on these motors? My next step is to grab a wrecker engine and start sourcing rods and pistons to build a mild engine.

Would love to know what people are making on rods & pistons and what tune.
I read that you might be able to tell whether you have a forged crank if the flywheel mating surface has a number that looks like 07k101e. Hank Iroz over at Iroz Motorsport knows a ton of information about the 07k and other VAG motors. There are others on 07k Facebook group that have valuable info as well. I’m still gathering parts, researching, & learning as I go. I’m planning a motor build with upgraded block & head internals. Some have said it isn’t necessary to upgrade internals unless your goals are above 400whp. My goals aren’t above 400whp but I figured just to be safe & do it now as I could always change that goal. Apparently cast cranks have no problem supporting up to 500whp.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll be getting DP Engine parts conrods for my 07k when I do my mild build. The worlds fastest 2.5l 5 cyl uses their engine parts.
How much are the parts you're getting from them?

I read that you might be able to tell whether you have a forged crank if the flywheel mating surface has a number that looks like 07k101e. Hank Iroz over at Iroz Motorsport knows a ton of information about the 07k and other VAG motors. There are others on 07k Facebook group that have valuable info as well. I’m still gathering parts, researching, & learning as I go. I’m planning a motor build with upgraded block & head internals. Some have said it isn’t necessary to upgrade internals unless your goals are above 400whp. My goals aren’t above 400whp but I figured just to be safe & do it now as I could always change that goal. Apparently cast cranks have no problem supporting up to 500whp.
When i was getting my UM tune on my car, the boost reference line to the wastegate melted and the engine spiked to 14psi. Fred at United Motorsports said that it was starting to pull timing due to knock and that is bad for stock internals. It was a super hot day that day and they were road logging then letting it heatsoak instead of a cooldown drive.

Apparently these pistons dont like knock at all and are prone to failure if they do. Although, i've seen some guys on instagram running UM tunes to 20psi on stock internals and not blowing anything up.

I guess the real question is who has found the limits? Boost pressure is only one aspect as turbo sizing plays into how it hits and how the engine holds the pressures.

I plan on running run it to 12psi and put 94 in and log it to see what the timing pull is if any. That should net me about 350ish which is enough until i find a wrecker engine to drop rods in. It'd be nice to have a mild 500hp build with safe internals.

1721 - 1727 of 1727 Posts