VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 98 a4 avant awhile back and now I am looking to get some type of catback exhaust. I was wonder which type you guys would recommend. I was looking a Techtronics tuning or borla.

·
17,317 Posts
Re: (Euro Skank)

I have to assume that the info on 2.8l exhausts is getting hard to spot (
) so rather than fight the tide and have to keep moving/merging threads, I am just adding this to the FAQ under the exchaust section. Please keep ALL 2.8 exhaust disccusion in there. Sound clip requests, info requests, thoughts, opinions, reviews, etc, so that people can find it quickly and easily without even having to resort to the search.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Re: (robbyb413)

When I had my 2.8 I used a s4 exhaust. It was a apr stealth exhaust. It worked fine the only thing you had to do was put a reducer right after the downpipes because they are smaller on the 2.8 then the 2.7t.

·
Registered
92 Posts
2.8 Exhaust

There's limited info out there, and it all seems to be pretty old.
I've researched a lot of the different routes you can go, and it's a tough decision.
I'm wondering if anyone has some definitive answers on whether or not the B5 S4 stock exhaust fits on the 30v 2.8l A4, and perhaps even if there are sound clips, i'd like to know whether or not it makes a different in the exhaust note.
to go even further, if the stock S4 exhausts fits, it lends me to believe that aftermarket S4 exhausts will also fit.
Any input on this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: 2.8 Exhaust (steve_perry)

That sounds pretty sweet, probably louder than what i'm going for though.
I like the sound of the Remus a lot, their system is axle-back whereas a techtonics system seems to be cat-back. I'm not sure the advantages of one or the other. and it's a little weird seeing as they're priced about the same, when the techtonics includes a lot more stuff. I'm planning on leaving the resonator in.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: 2.8 Exhaust (Shanged)

hit up a custom muffler shop. tell them the sound that you are looking for.
for the past year i have hade the suitcase muffler filled with stright pipe and stock everything else. cost $50 and is pretty quiet. but it gets raspy in high rpms

·
Registered
580 Posts
Re: 2.8 Exhaust (TimKouch)

I had a 2000 a4 2.8 I put the s4 apr stealth exhaust on it. All you have to do is get some different claps and reducer to fit the downpipes on the 2.8.

·
17,317 Posts
Re: 2.8 Exhaust (Shanged)

Quote, originally posted by Shanged »
There's limited info out there, and it all seems to be pretty old.

Information on which car parts are interchangable between b5 cars doesn't really have an expiration date. s4 exhausts worked last time someone asked, they still work now.
Merged this into the existing 2.8 thread that is in the FAQ, where the answer to your query already existed... please do try to use the existing resources in the future so the information stays in one place for quick access by others. Thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: 2.8 Exhaust (robbyb413)

i mean, you could always take the cheap/******* way and cut the muffler off like i did for the time being
suprisngly it doesnt sound that bad. just a little raspy at high rpms.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: 2.8 Exhaust (chromedomewookie)

So if i get APR's 2.7 stealth exhaust for my 2.8 what exactly would i need for it to work?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Re: 2.8 exhaust (HaLf3viL)

half3viL sorry but that sound rather sick and rattly man...I have techtonics tuning piping and borla centre and rear muffler and it sounds way smoother and better than that!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The one with 60mm piping should fit, however...
That is an absurd amount of money for only a muffler that will in no way outperform a Magnaflow.
It is your money, but I suggest you reconsider brands.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts