VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is putting a 1.8t in a 2.8 a4 that difficult? I know ill need wiring harness and ecu and all parts for motor mounting? Do they share the same automatic transmission? Anyone know of a thread please post here. Couldn't find anything.

sent from my Droid Incredible

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
never mind this is a ridiculous question, i wasn't thinking, three hours of sleep will do that,

moderator you can delete :banghead:

·
Registered
129 Posts
easy swap

i did it and have been running it as a dd for 2 years now and no problems.
i did my swap with a 1.8T 99.5 motor and direct plug and play into my 99.5 2.8.
the only 2 different parts you need for the 2.8 A4 is the 1.8T rad support and power steering hose.
you only need the engine wiring harness up to the ecu beacuse everything is just plug and play with the 2.8 car.
it took me about 13-14 hrs to pull the motor from the 1.8t car and pull the 2.8 then install the 1.8T into the 2.8's body.
i used the 2.8's tranny instead of the 1.8t.

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
The tranny worked no problem? Did you have to do anything special?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
tranny

sorry i failed to mention that i was using manual tranny.
not sure about auto but dont see why it would be a problem.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Auto trans fits both 4 & 6 cyl too.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do a 5spd swap while your at it
that would be the plan, i'm still waiting to see if the sale will work out with this a4. its a 2.8 in pretty rough shape(leaking valve cover, high miles, and exhaust leaks). The only thing cosmetically wrong with it though is a dent in the passenger door. besides that and a little dirt it looks pretty good though

i've gotten pretty good at popping dents (my a4, and of course the horrific golf tdi incident :banghead:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts