VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
K I don’t get you guys.

Audi RS2 absolute legend worth 40-60k, unobtanium.

E36 m3 is a $12-25k car.

UrS basically the same thing with smaller turbo and manifold, smaller brakes, and chonkier body. Add factory turbo, em, and brakes and you’re really really close to everything that makes an RS2 such an epic vehicle. All bolt ons, factory reliability retained, no issues. Can do all this for under 8k easy.

240hp and rwd vs 380hp and Quattro.

Seems like OP wanted a usable car not a track toy. C4 is awesome to daily, super comfy, and the only reason I don’t anymore is to keep some miles off it.

They’re both great cars from the same era so I’m really not understanding why one is a fine suggestion but my suggestion is looney tunes.

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
K I don’t get you guys.

E36 m3 is a $12-25k car.

UrS basically the same thing with smaller turbo and manifold, smaller brakes, and chonkier body. Add factory turbo, em, and brakes and you’re really really close to everything that makes an RS2 such an epic vehicle. All bolt ons, factory reliability retained, no issues. Can do all this for under 8k easy.

Seems like OP wanted a usable car not a track toy. C4 is awesome to daily, super comfy, and the only reason I don’t anymore is to keep some miles off it.

They’re both great cars from the same era so I’m really not understanding why one is a fine suggestion but my suggestion is looney tunes.
The RS2 sells for that much not because it's more fun to drive than a E36 M3, but because it's very rare, built by Porsche, and was Audi's first RS car. Once you strip away the cult mystique by getting a UrS instead there's not to care about. It's not like the E36 M3 is only suitable for the track. Far from it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
OP lives in Florida, not a geographer but I do think snow is an issue. And unless you're pretty far north or in the mountains, rwd+lsd+snow tires is fine. And it's a 3 car solution, wife's GX, his truck, his car. BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine, I rest my case your honor

·
Registered
604 Posts
The RS2 sells for that much not because it's more fun to drive than a E36 M3, but because it's very rare and was Audi's first RS car. Once you strip away the cult mystique by getting a UrS instead there's not to care about. It's not like the E36 M3 is only suitable for the track. Far from it.
Never said it was, but it's a much better track weapon due to how light and nimble it is. Not much to care about? lmao. Some enthusiast.

Enjoy your BMW circlejerk fellas, I'm out.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Never said it was, but it's a much better track weapon due to how light and nimble it is. Not much to care about? lmao. Some enthusiast.

Enjoy your BMW circlejerk fellas, I'm out.
You're really taking this too personally. OP wants a fun car.. Audi station wagons don't normally come to mind first. With that being said, OP should buy my Volvo. Now THAT is a fun car.

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
ADD ****ing lost it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You're really taking this too personally. OP wants a fun car.. Audi station wagons don't normally come to mind first. With that being said, OP should buy my Volvo. Now THAT is a fun car.
Did you fix the issues with your car? It's a unique color combo and pretty darn rare.

It makes for a decent daily driver- I've been DD'ing my '04 V70R since new.

RS2s are neat because they're rare, built by Porsche, first Audi RS car. They're still basically an Audi 80/90 chassis that hangs that big, heavy, iron block engine way in front of the axle. Nose-heavy weight distribution makes it an understeering pig.

Kind of how the B5/6/7 chassis A4s handle better with the 1.8T engine than the V-6 (2.8 12v/30v, 2.7TT). Then look at the E36 M3 where the back two cylinders are almost underneath the windshield cowl, way behind the front axle. Still has a heavy, iron block engine, but at least it's situated better.

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,686 Posts
e36 is fine in the snow. At this point I don't drive it in the snow because we have enough nice days in Vancouver winter I can justify the added enjoyment of being on PS4s the whole year, but I had ZERO issues using it as a snowboard mobile even in storms as a lowered car.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Shouldn't you be making a thread crying about having to pay taxes on your cars or something?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Make a youtube video about it with some cool words on the screen.

·
Registered
31,930 Posts
As for being a nose heavy pig, yeah, it is, but somehow it still works, see Audi WRC domination.
Not to derail the thread, but Audi got only one manufacturers' world championship, in 1984. When Peugeot got their mid-engined 205 Turbo 16 into the game, both the drivers' and make championships went to Peugeot. Audi's problem was exactly the nose heaviness against Peugeot and Lancia, which is why they were already developing a mid-engined car for the upcoming group S.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
K I don’t get you guys.

E36 m3 is a $12-25k car.

Let it go man.

Yes Audi won rallies, yes there is the RS2 and yes you can modify cars to increase the fun factor but those are moot with regards to the reality for OP. It's silly to even try to argue that the Ur is in any way comparable to the the E36 M3 in terms of fun especially not in standard or even mildly modified forms. I would bet that the E36 will be easier and cheaper to maintain too.

Shouldn't you be making a thread crying about having to pay taxes on your cars or something?
Or complaining that no one wants to buy a speedboat for their family lake outings instead of a relaxed cruiser :laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
K I don’t get you guys.

E36 m3 is a $12-25k car.

RS2 is awesome because of its provenance, not because it's a brilliant car to drive. Plus the $8K is just the entry fee.............. getting parts (that WILL break) on a rare old Audi is another adventure

If AWD + turbos are a need BMW has plenty of options with that which are better to drive and way less of a hassle to own, possibly for not much more money to purchase

You're angry because you came in hoping everyone would give you props for your contrarian purchase instead of just calling it what it is. Rarity is funny thing. Sometimes it's a matter of the right thing at the wrong time. Other times it's not really rarity.... it's just people not buying something that wasn't very good. I'll let you chew over which bucket your UrS is in :)

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Did you fix the issues with your car? It's a unique color combo and pretty darn rare.

It makes for a decent daily driver- I've been DD'ing my '04 V70R since new.
I've gotten the cup holder flap fixed. Just haven't had time to get to the other things. Other projects take precedence for me, main reason I want to unload the R... just no time for it. For what it is, its an $8k car. Rare and exceptionally maintained with relatively low miles. But letting it sit in the garage until the right buyer with the right money comes along isn't killing me.

An '04 VR is quite a rare car in itself. What color/transmission ya have?

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Hehe, in all my diatribes I forgot to mention that I am a fan of the 'fleet' approach.

It all started when I ditched my Mazda3 for a Miata. Being that it was rust-free, I also bought a $1000 XJ Cherokee (this was 10 years ago, mind you) as my homeowner/do-everything-else-the-Miata-can't special. Being that gas was $4/gal, I got tired of the Cherokee's fuel bills and swapped it out for a leased Mk6 JSW 2.5 with a manual, and a utility trailer (natch...)

Then I started commuting 100 miles/day, which the Miata took for a few years until I got tired of it. In the meantime, my need to get to the office even on the suckiest of winter days meant that ground clearance became an issue, plus I wanted to tow project cars, so I got myself a new Nissan Frontier which I held onto for about 5 years (great truck, BTW - if you don't want to pay the Toyota tax but still have a good all-arounder). Meanwhile, my wife was driving a manual Mazda3. And eventually I did the Miata -> WRX, which only lasted 6 months and then the final WRX -> E36 M3 switch.

So for a while, it was the perfect combo of Mazda3 for the commute and longer trips (even though the comfort sucked, fuel mileage was excellent), the Frontier for hauling and terrible weather (plus it was my wife's commuter when I wasn't using it to commute...yes, she had to borrow her own car!) and the M3 for 3-season daily driving and fun.

It has slowly devloved into the rather unimpressive fleet we have now - we swapped the 3 for the Outback when our son was born; the Frontier got traded for the Camry and I bought a cheap Silverado to take on the tow/haul duties; and the M3 is still being rebuilt (rear-end accident in '18 turned into a re-shell project).

But come next spring, I hope to have the M3 back and running as a daily driver to shuttle my son the ~5 miles to daycare, and if our current WFH situation doesn't change much in the coming years, I'd like to swap out the Outback and Silverado for a 2.7L F-150 crew cab, which should give me the tow capabilities of the Silverado and the mileage of the Subaru.

How different is the owner experience compared to a regular non-M E36 or 46? The 36M's low price makes it a very intriguing option...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
How different is the owner experience compared to a regular non-M E36 or 46? The 36M's low price makes it a very intriguing option...
The blessing and curse of the North American E36 M3 is that its engine (S52) is less special than the Euro version and that it has a five-speed vs. six. That said, performance numbers are damn close between the two. Why the less-special engine is actually great is that parts are relatively cheap and plentiful but you still get one of the best chassis' of the '90s. The S52 is based on the M52 and shares a ton of components. The M52 powered the 328 and Z3 2.8 among others. The S52 can rev past 7000 but still has reasonable torque down low. I'd say the only downside is that it really is screaming at 80 MPH in fifth. Like 3500. But the motor is so smooth, you'd never know.

You'll still inevitably face a cooling system failure, and have to deal with some brittle interior parts and the rattles that come with them. But all of that is fixable at a reasonable cost and you're left with one of the finest drivers cars you can buy.

81 - 100 of 157 Posts