VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 984 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 Door Fox + Plasma Torch = US Spec SAVEIRO

This is the official Fox Wagon to Saveiro conversion Thread.
Contents:
This thread not only discusses and displays many images of the Body conversion from US Fox Wagon to mini-pickup Truck (Saveiro) it also displays much information about the 8Valve 1.8 Litre Turbo, 5speed, coil-over, and E30 Motor mount conversions.
Special Shout Outs (Respekt):
All Engine work, Body Fabrication, suspension upgrades/modification, Brake system upgrades, custom charge tubes, fuel and air management system work was done by Longitudinal (AKA: Jonathan, Fab-Master-J) WWJD? What Would Jonathan Do?
Also some shout-outs to a few other Fox Brethren in the Central Ohio Area (BlackZorro, iluvfastcars, and of course myself, DasBaldGuy) without whose help, parts, advice, patience and assistance this project would have never gone so smoothly. I want to also give a shout-out to "the man" for making me an IT Corporate Slave, able to afford such ridiculous projects.
Final holla goes out to the one, the only, THE Adam (VWFox) who remains the classiest cat in all of Canadia, the VW Fox Historian and keeper of the Sacred Fox Archives at lunaticfringe.com. Thanks for keepin it real...(and occasionally/sporadically updating the Fox website).
Please take a look at the photos/read the jibberish and feel free to ask any questions or post suggestions/comments/complaints/rants etc.

Modified by DasBaldGuy at 9:20 AM 11-7-2006

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 2 Door Fox + Plasma Torch = US Spec SAVEIRO (DasBaldGuy)

Ok, I have wanted to do this for a while....I have 2 scooters and I want to haul them around, but I loath the idea of buying a pick-up truck for such simple hauling.
Why can't I take a Fox Wagon (or 2 Door if I am desperate) and torch it and make a Pickup Truck Bed? Here is my Photoshoping of the Idea...(forgive me if I stole a photo of your Fox...)

Comments? has anyone done this? Success? Did they have to borrow Caddy parts or fabricate from scratch?

Sorry, for got the little [ img ] craps...

·
Registered
935 Posts

question isnt why you cant do it, its why havent you done it yet!?

the idea has be around but i havent heard of someone whos done it here on vortex. its be done on quantums though, so its basically the same minus the AWD. i know thats something id want to do with a wagon, once id get bored with its look. now lets see an home made saveiro.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

I've thought about it.
Issues to be resolved include:
-sealing the big gaping hole in the rear behind the driver/passenger
-making a flat bed
-re-enforcing the strut towers.... the wagon doesn't have any support to begin with, and the 2-door relies on the rear seat backing to stiffen the rear. Strengthening could be done with a small amount of tubing and some gusseting.
-rear hatch.... do you run with one? if not, where do you mount the license plate. Is so, you have to fab up something for the wagon to fill the gap. On the 2-door, you either leave the rear alone (save for cleaning up where the trunk would have sealed), or cut it and make a fold-down rear like trucks have.
It might be possible to use other VW parts, and custom fab up a way to mate them to the fox.
To make it look good, your looking at a lot of skilled metal work, body work, and a large investment in time. If its a beater that you can run around the farm and put stuff in...... should take no more than an hour to remove the top(that includes the time it takes to put out the fire you cause from burning the interior with the torch)

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Re: 2 Door Fox + Plasma Torch = US Spec SAVEIRO (dtompsett)

A Saveiro would be cool, but why not just get a Caddy instead. Short of importing a whole rear section from Brazil, I just don't see any real hope of making it work and look right.
I saw a Saveiro once in southern mexico, it was completly beat to peices with about 7 guys standing in the back.
On a side note, I saw a Seat Ibeza in Indiana last month!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Re: 2 Door Fox + Plasma Torch = US Spec SAVEIRO (BillLeBob)

I would like to do that too..............
My dog would love it...............
But it's a bunch off work...........
Is the Caddy Pick up..........those old ones........larger then a fox??
Could we use some parts from it???Like tail gate and the rear glass...

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I'd do it with a wagon, and cut the bottom off the hatch to use as a tailgate, or just go without. The hatch lay-out and narrow tail-lights give you a nice factory rear opening.
Closing in the back of the cab should provide you with a good bit of structural integrity, but adding gussets at the floor would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Is that legal????????get a wagon and make a pick up???
How does this work in here???????//Do i have to take to some "court house" to get inspect???????
And if we use a roll bar.................like those pick ups and Jeep have,but welded to the car as a roll bar.................Would this help to "hold" the car together???????
Im Brazil they got that bar between the shocks towers,like the front one,but then the Pick up job is all gone..........(not for me,because I just want for looks and my dog) but no scooters there......

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 2 Door Fox + Plasma Torch = US Spec SAVEIRO (Bergenor)

Well my plan is to remove the Rear hatch of the Wagon, then remove the interior (carpet/blastic body pannels and head liner, then cut off the excess metal (roof/side supports).
Weld square tube around the inside horizontal perimeter of the Bed (where the bottom of the side windows used to be) and one across the back as well as creating a "roll bar" from the floor, up around the roof back down the floor. I plan on welding in a sheetmetal wall to enclose the cabin and separate the cabin from the truck bed. Cut an opening for a rear window (perhaps from a junk yard small pick up truck or even just mount a sun roof on the back wall). If you want to be really fancy, you can mount a 3rd (high mount) break light into the top of the roof above the rear window (like the early 90's Isuzu pickups had)
For the interior of the bed, either weld down a solid piece of diamond plate, or perhaps find a mini truck (toyota/nissan etc) and cut the bed off, then cut the bottom of the bed in the shape/size that will fit the interior floor of the rear of the wagon.
Take the rear hatch, cut it at the bottom of the rear window and there you have a tail gate...depending on your skills, you can make it open like a regular pick up truck (steal parts from junk yard truck) etc...
It doesn't sound too hard to me. Then get a few buddies over for beer and have a body work/sanding party. Then paint it. How hard can it be?
Only thing I would be worried about is the struts in existing strut tower. I am thinking you might have to weld leaf springs to the underside like pick up trucks have to take the extra weight.
Ideas/thoughts?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ok somebody tell me this is not a home-made Fox Wagon/PickUp Conversion?

And here are 2 pictures of a Corrado Pickup conversion (I think done by Karmann Coachworks)

So someone out there has to have done this to a Fox Wagon!

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote, originally posted by DasBaldGuy »

Ok somebody tell me this is not a home-made Fox Wagon/PickUp Conversion?

That is not a home-made Fox wagon/pickup conversion. That has been my background at work for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Re: (efritsch)

My Fox is for sell................Now I want a Corrado to do the pick up...
That's cool..........very cool!!!!!!!!!!
Any more pics ?????????
I went to a JY in Oklahoma and they had about 4 or 5 Rados.......
Should got one........

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Re: (satchimo)

Yes, they are that rare.
In Canada, they were only imported from 87-88.
In the US, they were imported from 87-90 but they were less than the sedans as they were more expensive.
Offer them like $350 for it if you're thinking of buying it. I would, they are rare.

1 - 20 of 984 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.