VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i assume the 4 door model weighs more right? how much more? make the 2.0 feel any slower or not even noticable?
i assume the 4 door rear windows go down but the 2 dr model rears dont. is that right?
what about the cargo area... is there less cargo space in a 4 door?
TIA!
corey

· Registered
11,916 Posts
Re: 2 door vs 4 door Golf questions (coooray)

Quote, originally posted by coooray »
i assume the 4 door model weighs more right? how much more? make the 2.0 feel any slower or not even noticable?
i assume the 4 door rear windows go down but the 2 dr model rears dont. is that right?
what about the cargo area... is there less cargo space in a 4 door?
TIA!
corey

4 door is probably a smidge more in terms of weight, but a 2.0 is slow no matter what so I doubt you'd notice the minimal difference if there was one.
rear windows in the the 4 door go down about 2/3rds of the way, in the 2 door they dont at all.
cargo is the same, and the 4 door is actually a lot easier to throw stuff in.

· Registered
33,807 Posts
Re: (One8tVW)

Quote, originally posted by One8tVW »
i want my rear windows to go all the ay down , any mod for that?

Yeah.. Cut the wheel well, remake the door and you will be ok!
The 4 door does weight a bit more.
You can find a 2000 or 2001 4 door golf with the 1.8t
The hatch area is the same as in the 2 door.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Re: (coooray)

Quote, originally posted by coooray »
alright, when you say slow... are we talkin slower than like a stock civic coupe?

thats a pretty broad question, but basically, yes, slower then a stock civic coupe. if the civic is 5 speed, its faster. even the weakest civic from the 1998 model year has 22 lbs/hp while the golf 2 door 2.0 has 24 lbs/hp, and thats comparing it to the slowest civic. if it were an si it would really not even be close. i hate hondas just as much as the next guy but the golf 2.0 is a slow, heavy machine.

· Registered
6,336 Posts

Ok, I'm sporting the 2.0 4-dr and so I'll take the stand in defence of the 4dr.
So freaking what if the 2.o is slow, in the ever uprising of gas prices, I've gotten my 2.o upwards of 40mpg(and I have the 4dr/ *heavier*) model)!!!!
I just hit 147k miles on my 2.o and I've spent roughly $250-300 is REQUIRED engine maintanence(outside of routine oil changes) to keep the engine running smooth. The 2.o is an excellant motor and will just keep going and going.

· Registered
6,706 Posts
Why don't you just go test drive both, then make a decision? You can't get the turbo in a four-door unless you go used, but that may not be your primary decision-maker. Go to a dealer and look at both body styles. Test drive vehicles with both engines. See what you like.
Any advice we can give you doesn't do half as much good as actually getting in and going around the block.

· Registered
1,623 Posts

1.8t's get really good gas milage as well as long as your not always on the gas. Wouldn't go with the 2.0 if performance is a top priority to you, but it is a good little workhorse. It's pretty torquey, and no the weight difference between 2 & 4 door is not enough to make a significant difference. I love the 4dr personally it's so easy to throw crap in and you don't always have to pop the seat to let passengers in and out.

· Registered
11,805 Posts

I drive a 2.0L GTI and it's good enough for me. I can push 130km/hr on highways and pass a lot of other vehicles. It's fast enough for daily driving, but obviously will get smacked in a "race." As for 2 door vs 4 door, it pretty much depends on your life style. I highly doubt the extra weight will be enough to affect speed, so just get what suites your needs.
Here's a run-down of 1.8T and 2.0L engines:
1.8T:
- fast
- more potential
- huge increase in performance from a few bolt-on mods
- more parts under the hood = more likely something will mess up
- gas
2.0L:
- not super fast, but not horribly slow (fast enough for a dialy driver)
- no potential (if you were to do major mods to a 2.0, might as well get a 1.8T)
- reliable
- bullet proof
- never fails
- easier on gas
Here's the deal:
If you want something that will be fast, then go with a 1.8T.
If you want something that is decently fast, but will live longer than you, then go with a 2.0L.
*Personally I would go with a TDI

Modified by bootymac at 9:59 PM 9-12-2005

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.