VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 02 GTI just went to the dealer today because the airbag light is on. I put almost 3k on the car in the 2 weeks ive owned it. While they didnt have the part in stock (passnger side sensor) and i have to take it back, I did score a free car wash. Another real good thing was they are mod friendly, the service manager lady told me, as long as you dont take the engine apart and whatever u do doesnt directly cause a failure, then she mentions her car's mods, so i must say while im pissed i have to take it in for repairs already at least the service was awesome.

Registered
Re: 2 weeks old and in the shop (TheCeleryStalker)

mercedes have hicups too.... do worry about it.. just as long as they are service friendly that seems to be the more important thing now..

Registered

I have the same problem with my 02 GTI. I've owned it 1 month and been there 4 times. Sometimes when I reverse and turn I hear kind of a knocking sound in the front left side. It only happens sometimes. Everytime supposedly the prob. is fixed but I still hear it. I am going to take the car in again in a few days and hopefully it gets fixed....Any ideas????

Registered

quote:[HR][/HR]...I did score a free car wash...[HR][/HR]​
Something to think about: most people on this board never let anyone at the dealership touch their paint, ie wash the car. Too many times the folks washing it are using dirty sponges/rags and don't care about the swirl marks they are putting in your paint.
I let a dealership wash my car once ... never again. They managed to put more swirl marks in it than I have in over a year of ownership and weekly washings.

Registered
Re: 2 weeks old and in the shop (moclov)

When I go to the dealer, I always stay close to my car, I think that it's up to the person washing the cars to do a good job. At Rimar VW in St-Leonard, the guy does a very good job washing the cars. (can't say the same thing for Nordest VW)
J-F

Registered
Re: 2 weeks old and in the shop (Jetta_J)

I wouldn't let the dealership touch the paint on my car (especially since it's Atlantic Blue).
I had a dealership wash a black car I owned once, it ended up w/ waterspots and swirl marks.

Registered

The same happened to my 2001 GTI. Just make sure to ask them to replace the part and not toying around with it. If the part isn't replaced you might have to come to them again soon. The airbag light problem was fixed after they replaced the part on mine.

[Modified by ni4ni, 11:51 AM 11-27-2001]

Registered
Re: 2 weeks old and in the shop (ni4ni)

its most likely the electromechanical spring in the steering wheel. I'm on my third spring since the car was new in 9/00; i think they just keep replacing them instead of redesigning the part

-randy

Registered

Well my 2k2 GLS Jetta 2.OL is in the shop already, just after only 2 weeks of ownership as well. Apparently my car has developed a humming sound noticeable during low speed turns; mind you I only have 650 mi on the clock. The shop foreman thinks it's the diff/spider gear rubbing w/ thrust washer, yet is dumbfounded in how to repair this
I have lost two nights of sleep since my car has been in the shop, nervously wondering where my car is parked, has it been dinged, scraped, etc..... I am coming from owning an extremely reliable 1991 Acura Integra that has never called for anything other than common oil changes, tires and a timing belt at 90k so leaving my pride and joy in the hands of a dealer is entirely new to me, I hope this does not become frequent with VW.

-Ryan
[Modified by MK4ryan, 8:33 PM 11-27-2001]

[Modified by MK4ryan, 8:34 PM 11-27-2001]

Registered

I had the same problem with the airbag light. The sensor in the seat was the culprit-replaced by the dealer and no problem since.

Registered
Re: 2 weeks old and in the shop (JetBlackJetta)

Your not the only ones, I have 397 miles, had it for about a week, and my MIL light is on.

Registered
Re: 2 weeks old and in the shop (MK4AVANT)

I had the same problem with the airbag light (mine is a late 01 gti) it has been replaced twice in 2 months http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Registered

My airbag light is on too, and my car is 3 weeks old. I had a 2001 before this one, and had rarely any problems. A CE light here and there, but no big deal. I'd rather the light go on, then to not go on at all, especially if there's a problem. I don't worry about little things like that.

Registered
Re: 2 weeks old and in the shop (raptor)

I get the knocking sound too. Only happens when i turn while backing up. Mostly, when i pull out of my driveway. I'm gonna have them look at it when I take it in for the airbag light.

Registered
Re: 2 weeks old and in the shop (Satchriani)

yip, it's always and only when I back out of the driveway. It seems to be gone now though. It got softer and softer and I have not heared it in a bit. I don't know we'll see what happens I guess.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: 2 weeks old and in the shop (turbo_randy)

They are telling me its a sensor in the passenger seat. They ordered the part and now i wait..........

[Modified by TheCeleryStalker, 7:41 PM 12-4-2001]

Registered

Yeah, I had an airbag light after 3 days of ownership. Took it in with 289 miles on it and they said they fixed it... Next day, air bag light went on again, so they ordered the part. I had a bunch of trim loose in my car too, so I've been going back again and again until I get it all fixed... I think I've been in there 4-5 times so far and I've got less than 2000 miles on the clock. The service manager's been cool to me though. Hopefully your service tech is as good...

Registered

Dont sweat it. I bought a brand new Chevy S-10, and it spent 47 days in the shop the first 3 months that I had it. This prolonged stay was for one single door that would not line up. After picking it up for a different repair, the seat adjustment handle came off in my hand, forcing me to spend the rest of the weekend in the fully reclined position. All of this occurred with less than 9k on the clock. After 6 months of legal hassling, GM finally bought the truck back. Yes VW's have problems. Yes, German engineering and Mexican assembly cause problems. Yes, it sucks to have problems on a new car, but many new cars have problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts