VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my dealer for 20K service/2year. The guy was playing off like brake change wasn't needed (it does show 40K maintenance service, but the seperate bake page says every 2 year regardless of miles. I spewed some stuff and he said they would look at it/see if it's bad. It adds about 100 bucks to the already expensive 20K service (like 280).
Well, I took a sample and it's a light yellow color. Not brown. I did my older VW's every year, and know most of the water/brown is in the rubber brake lines not the reservior. My 337 has stainless lines *stock* http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif except for the rubber ones under the 4 wheel wells. So, should I just get this done and cough up 100 bucks, since it's quite clear in the warranty book (but so is 40K brake change, not at 20K? Besides, VW says the airfilter only needs changed every 40K, (yea right!) so I don't always use their recomendations. I always like fresh fluid since it bites better, but really these 337 brakes work great, yellow fluid or not. Plus my 337 rocks and I don't want rust in the brake system.
Also, I was theorizing that if I replaced the rubber lines with the ECS lines with a rubber coating and SS, would my car only require brake change every blue moon? How could any substantial moisture penetrate 100% SS lines throughout, and SS+rubber sealed lines under the wheel wells? Props for the brake gurus!

·
Banned
14,893 Posts
Re: 2 year brake change like gospel? (rowdyzombie)

Post edited. Why do i bother.

Modified by Vdubs at 5:59 PM 6-4-2004

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2 year brake change like gospel? (Vdubs)

Thanks for the insight. I didn't know there was a hole in the master cylinder so now I'm smarter http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif . It seems to me moisture enters from getting absorbed by bare exposed rubber (contact water or humidity). SS and SS+clear plastic hose (ECS hose) seems to me to be more resistant to water absorbtion (or immune for the ECS). I'll have to look at my line to the clutch to see if it's SS. Thanks for the input, I just don't want to cheap out and have my ABS unit fail and get hosed on the warranty because no 2 year brake fluid change. But if there's nothing to worry about, can I go another 2 years before changing it? Brakes work great right now, and the fluid after 2 years looks like my A2 VW's after 6 months (and I changed those every year/along with the coolant). Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

To get a better deal on your 20K service plus brake fluid change, check my sig & give Chris a call. He's in your neck of the woods, too.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts

As a MB mechanic for too many years I have not seen too many brake systems fail [incl calipers]. I believe this is because of the amount of brake fluid flushes we do. If you plan on keeping the car I would flush it at least every two years and most likely every year. I would also recommend to learn how to do it if you like to tinker with cars. It's not that hard to do and if you want to spend some money on a cheap brake bleeder then thats just going to make your life a little easier. Fluid does go bad and just like all the other fluids in your vehicle you should change the brake fluid regularly.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 2 year brake change like gospel? (Butcher)

Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing my brake flush myself on Saturday. With the 18's, I didn't have to jack up the car at all! I did it the same I did with my other cars:
Parts: new fluid, old clear soda bottle, hose such as emmissions hose.

Turn wheel all the way one direction to get at caliper (or jack up car and remove the wheel if you can't reach the brake bleeder thing). Remove brake sensor/lid on master cylinder. Add some fluid (don't everfill). Turn bleeder valve on front caliper (used offset 11 mm wrench), connect rubber hose to bleeder valve and other end in a soda bottle (with offset wrench still on the valve). If no brown/yellow fluid is coming out, press brake once. Drip Drip Drip...Keep filling the brake fluid master cylinder or else you'll have to bleed it! Keep it dripping until fluid drops are clear or noticeably not brown (first caliper takes the longest). When satisfied, close bleeder valve on caliper. Do the other front wheel, then the rear ones--one at a time.
This takes some time, and you can hurry it up my pumping brakes, but be careful--if it goes too low you need to bleed your brakes. There is some trace of the old fluid this way, but it's worked for me in the past well. Only problem I had was with the slave cylinder for the clutch, it had a wierd connection. It had the 11 mm bleeder valve, but it had a plastic cover around it (so you obviously couldn't unscrew it
). I remembered seeing some funky connector when looking at the Bentley CD for the 02M and sure enough I couldn't figure it out. So, I didn't change that fluid in the clutch line.
Saved myself about 100 bucks. Had the 20K service done on Monday, and they didn't seem upset they lost the 100 bucks. I used Valvoline dot 4 "synthetic" fluid. I could feel more initial bite with the new fluid, and the old fluid was yellow not brown. Guess I can sleep better, and my wallet's a little more happy this week. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
135 Posts

Good job! I'll have to be doing mine soon.
Took car to stealership for 40K service.
No new pollen filter
no break flush
I took it back for the pollen filter, but couldn't 'prove' that they didn't flush the brakes

I know they didn't because I changed out the brake pads and the little caps on the bleeder valves were perfectly dirty and the valves were undisturbed by any kind of wrench. Unless they know how to put the dirt back on the parts, I know they never touched them! http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Bastards!
What a waste of $360 (after 10% discount!), all for a stamp in the book! But no more.

·
Registered
135 Posts

That's cool, I didn't know they made those. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I'm not gonna spend the $55 or so for the tester, when I k-n-o-w they didn't change it! They just lost a cutomer. I'll be changing it myself soon when I do my brake upgrade
I

·
Registered
135 Posts

OK, so let's say I do as you suggest. I check the fluid and determine that it wasn't changed...
How is it exactly do you propose that I "stop" them from doing the same to others?
I'm NOT the VW Dealer Service police! OK?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: 2 year brake change like gospel? (ROCKnRLR)

I guess that dude from accross the pond decided to delete his posts instead answering my question!

Quote, originally posted by ROCKnRLR »
2002+ cars get one or two flushes free!

Assuming they are actually doing it

Don't want to turn this into a dealer rant, sorry.

·
Banned
14,893 Posts
Re: 2 year brake change like gospel? (I-Man)

I gave up the will to live.
I don't answer a question with a
at the end, to me it's rhetorical, lets face it, i don't care if you got robbed, if you don't want my help i wont give it.

Modified by Vdubs at 1:00 AM 6-5-2004

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Re: 2 year brake change like gospel? (I-Man)

I flush mine sometime every summer. I alternate between ATE Super Blue (blue) and ATE SL (clear/light yellow)....
Very easy to see when you'll purged all the old fluid out of the lines and with a pressure bleeder it only takes 20 minutes or so to do everything.
I usually install new bleeder screws for the heck of it as well. Only a couple dollars each.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts