VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rabbitGTI with stock master cylinder, 10.1 rotors/calipers in the front, and drums in the back. With my 8v engine, it stopped on a dime with stock rotors and pads. I now have a 2.0L 16v engine with lots of mods, and I've found that the brakes are suffering over 80mph. I just upgrade to zimmerman crossdrilled rotors, PBR pads, and steel braided brake lines. The brakes are much better, but still suffering at high speeds.
Here is my question: Should my stock master cylinder be able to handle all of this, or am I at the point where I need the 22mm?
I think that I just need to bleed my system better or something. I have a feeling that the 20.5mm stock cylinder should be able to handle all of this. It just doesn't seem like adding 1.5mm to the master cylinder will add that much more pressure. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
not sure on the answer but heres a tip for you
when you bleed your brakes, pump slowly.. had an issue with mine when i pumped quickly and there was still air in the system one rear wheel wouldnt bleed properly when pumped quickly. when pumped slowly it bled fine

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
a bigger master cylinder won't make your car brake any "better," it'll just change the "gearing" of your foot, making it not push down so far with the big brakes, but at the same time making it harder to push.
anyway, my civic has the same problem as your car right now. the brake fluid is boiling, they just need to be bled.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Re: (bagpipegoatee)

Personally I have 22m with 11" brakes in the front/ rear drums and the 22mm made a huge difference in brake feel. If you really want to stop better though at high speeds I'd get some better pads. Something like Ferrodos or Hawk HPs, they're harder on rotors but they make more difference than larger brakes even in my opinion.
I had a 25.4mm in temporarily I can definitely tell you that's too much for the rear drums, I'm saving it for when I install my rear discs.

Modified by Fast2.0L at 10:46 AM 8-28-2006

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Re: (Fast2.0L)

the MC should be fine the way your car is but swaping in some rear discs wopuld probably help the high speed stopping a bit. if you do that you will then definatly want to change to a bigger MC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts