VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy Cow, thought this would be an easy thing to do, and make me a hero with my girly-its her car.
Anyway, I read through some posts, but I am still a lil in the dark (pun intended).
I read about the bumper surround and removing the battery--does this all apply to the 2000 jetta, what is the bumper surround and how do i remove that? not too technically inclined, so i would rather not mess with the battery?
Please help!?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Re: 2000 Jetta Drivers Side Headlight? (vdubjetta00)

Wait wait, what are you trying to do? You gave no indication of that. If you're just trying to replace the bulb, you don't have to do any of that. Just remove the intake cover, held to the top of the rad support with 4 screws. Then on the back of the headlight housing you'll see a kidney shaped cover held on by two metal clips. Take that off, and the bulb is held in place by a big plastic nut type thing, meaning you have to screw it. The driver's side one is much harder than the passenger's side one to remove and replace, so hopefully you have small hands. Also, it gets kinda dirty back there, so make sure you don't touch the bulb. Cotton gloves help with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2000 Jetta Drivers Side Headlight? (Jeraass)

i am talking about the drivers side light, the battery is in the way of the light, i am 6'4 so yeah i have big hands, please advise!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Re: 2000 Jetta Drivers Side Headlight? (vdubjetta00)

Okay, I'm still not fully understanding what you want to do. My assumption is that you want to change the lightbulb. The directions I gave above are how you do it normally, and if the front end has never been in an accident, then that should be adequate room to change the bulb. However, if you are really having trouble, you can always take off the whole headlight housing from the rad support. It's really more of a PITA to do, my suggestion is to just get someone with smaller hands then if you really can't reach. However, do a search on how to remove the headlight assembly, and you can do it that way. I have a link, but it's on my home computer, I'll post it when I'm back home.
Basically, it involves removing the bumper, just to give you an idea of what is needed. You take off the bumper, disconnect the front grille, then unscrew the screws, two on top two on bottom, of the headlight assembly, and it comes out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts