VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have my 2000 Jetta in for 30K service. Dealer says rear pads are gone but 80% left on front. Is this unusual. I'm used to having the fronts go first on my other cars.

·
Banned
5,977 Posts
Re: 2000 Jetta, rear pads wear out first?? (Fogey)

it's a common problem and there is a TSB on it somewhere. I'd print er off (when someone gives you the link).. and get the dealer to fix your shizzle.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Apparently it's fairly "normal" for these cars. My car is almost at 39k miles and my rear pads need to be replaced, but the rear rotors and front pads and rotors all have very little wear. There is a thread going on right now in the Brakes forum that you might want to read (link below).
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=450801
There are a bunch of ideas on why the rears wear faster: factory rear pads are softer than fronts due to a lot of noise complaints in the past from customers about rear brake noise; the amount brake bias used by the Bosch ABS unit; etc. etc. The above thread talks about a couple different reasons. But I guess the short answer is yes, it's pretty common for the rear pads to wear out first.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: 2000 Jetta, rear pads wear out first?? (Mindflux)

just asked the same question yesterday after 20,000 service. My wheels were listed 80% front 40% rear. the service rep told me that it was because vw set the brake system up to do more work on the back to prevent the car from nosing in when braking.
The way i understand it is most FWD cars do (guestimate) 75% breaking i the front and 25% hence when breaking the car would grab in the front a nose down.
VW rearranged those numbers to level out the car while braking. It was also mentioned to me (vaguely) that the rear brakes are made differently than the front which could also result in greater wear.
the service rep told me the rear pads should typicaly get replaced at 30,000

·
Registered
12,911 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Have my 2000 Jetta in for 30K service. Dealer says rear pads are gone but 80% left on front. Is this unusual. I'm used to having the fronts go first on my other cars.[HR][/HR]​
http://www.springbreakdaytonabeach.com/vwtech/www.vwwebsource.com/vwtechcontent/vw/newtech.htm
A quarter of the page down: 2000, 2001 Golf, Jetta, New Beetle Rear Brake Pads, Worn Prematurely, 46-00-01, Nov-27-00
I printed this off, and my dealer replaced mine under warranty at 21K miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts