VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We haven't been having any problems with the car starting, but today my wife leaves Target, gets in the car, and it won't start.
I drove over there to check it out and here's everything I can think of to tell you:
- all electronics come on and work fine
- the gear display on the dash moves through the gears correctly while you're shifting
- with tranny in park, the key turns, but engine doesn't turn over
- checked all the fuses and they're fine
- locked and unlocked the doors with the physical key in the door (not using the remote entry) to ensure that the alarm wasn't stopping the car from starting
- battery is only about a year old
- you can turn the key past the "accesories on" stage as normal, it's just that nothing happens after you've done it.
I'm lost, and will probably have it towed to my shop tomorrow. But then, I found this site and did some searching and based on the responses I've seen to other questions it seems like you all may be able to give me some ideas

Any help would be appreciated!
Ron

· Registered
287 Posts
Re: 2000 Jetta VR6 won't start (ronslagel)

I had the same problem and it turns out that it was my alternator that went klunk. If your shop says you need to replace the alternator, make sure you have them replace it with the 120 amp alternator and not the 90 (as it happened with me). I think there's a difference in which way the pulleys spin. And make sure that the belt has 7 grooves instead of the 6 most cars uses - or else you lose the belt, which kills the power steering. Somethings I had to learn by myself.

Now, my problem is a hit or miss start - which I am told may be due to a loose ground wire.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 2000 Jetta VR6 won't start (Idleone)

Turns out it was the ignition switch. That was definitely on my list of guesses due to the many comments I've seen on the net about how notoriously faulty the jetta's is.
The total for parts, labor, and towing is $285--which doesn't sound too bad to me.
Thanks, everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.