VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Crazy! How are you planning to cover them back up? The two panels that go there won’t work now right? I’ll replace my two tweeters when I redo the interior (already have 4 6.5 JL’s and a sub), but could extend it to a couple 4” like you have depending on the dash cover solution.

You are truly building a great Beetle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks! I’ll be using the factory left, right and center dash covers but hacking them to **** and covering them entirely in a few layers of grill cloth. That’s the plan at least. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there, homie! I’m optimistic ;-) Mercifully, bass will transmit well trough thicker media so if I can’t get the panels to fit all jacked up like, I’ll cut some groovy saddle blanket sections and elevate them slightly. Should conform to the dash contours still - and may even match the back seat!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks! I’ll be using the factory left, right and center dash covers but hacking them to **** and covering them entirely in a few layers of grill cloth. That’s the plan at least. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there, homie! I’m optimistic ;-) Mercifully, bass will transmit well trough thicker media so if I can’t get the panels to fit all jacked up like, I’ll cut some groovy saddle blanket sections and elevate them slightly. Should conform to the dash contours still - and may even match the back seat!
That should work, and I thought about the grill cloth. Consider drilling a bunch of holes in a pattern instead of cutting out a huge hole. Should transmit the sound fine and retain some strength in the panels. Love your project. If you were close to SCAL I’d come see it in person!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

Lots of heavy life stuff coming at me recently and no real time to invest in the project. Finished the subwoofer assembly though! Waiting on a few pieces for the dash. Finally having tires installed this week. Probably still a few weeks before the brakes and turbo/injectors/vacuum deletes are finished and I can drive it. Still waiting on plates too anyway :-/

As soon as I get a minute to breathe there will be lots of movement on the project. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Sorry life is rough lately! Hope to see you back soon!
Thank you. This project is kinda keeping me sane. I can mess with it for a bit and clear my head; just don’t have good chunks of time to make considerable progress.

Got a few hour free and finished the ports for the dash midbass enclosure. Routed the top side 3/4” and built a stepped inlet inside as there’s no room for a proper flare there.

Don’t sleep on the beetles, stereo people! Awesome path length balance on the dash and plenty of room in the rain tray there to flex your imagination!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Spent today in the mechanicals. Finished installing the K04-001. I had removed the old turbo like six weeks ago and have just been too busy to put the time I needed into installing and reassembling everything. Have to revamp the vacuum system, install larger injectors and finish the GLI brake swap this week. Once it’s running, my wife will be a lot cooler with me playing with the stereo :)

Progress though!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
0400 intake manifold swap. Going to run the AWP intake manifold on the beetle. I hadn’t read anything about the AWP peripherals adding power but the manifold plenum is clearly larger on the AWP (look at the right side at cyl #4) and has fewer vacuum ports up top, so it should look cleaner as well.

Vacuum Carnage!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Made the ebay 3” MK4 golf/Gti turbo-back exhaust work. The downpipe clears the steering rack perfectly. The rear section clears the body but is super tight to the beam. Unfortunately, the mid pipe didn’t line up well with the rear/resonator. I’m installing a cat soon and will weld it all in line but, for now, I cut some of the mid pipe and put a long flex section in place.

3” all the way back. 304 stainless (had it in a box outside in the rain for two months and not a speck of rust) with a muffler and resonator for $180! Upgrading the clamps and adding the flex section brought the full exhaust total up to $250.

·
Registered
397 Posts
3” is plenty for the K04. You may want to ceramic coat or heat wrap the exhaust manifold and turbo while you are there. It has helped drop temps in my engine bay a good amount.

I’m interested in how the new intake manifold works out too.

Can’t wait to see you complete this build in the future. Super nice upgrade path you are taking.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thank you! Yes indeed, I actually would’ve preferred a 2.5” exhaust. Probably a bit quieter and easier to clear the rear beam. Turbo and manifold are already in place and I’m not looking forward to pulling them again any time soon but that’s a good idea should they ever have to come out again!

In that vein, I’m actually piecing together my own water/meth injection system now too. Pump, solenoid, lines, fittings, relay, Hobbs switch, etc are all in-hand or on order. Just need to figure out what flow rate to run. The plan is to divide my overall output in half and spray half ahead of the intercooler (still inside the intake tract) to improve its efficiency, and the other half into the manifold per “usual”. The K04 has been done a million times but I’m detonation averse! Hahaha!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Never took the injection step, thought about it. If I was to do anything similar, it would be to spray the intercooler itself with a water alcohol mix. I have the larger forge smic which was plenty and am running very smoothly with the K04.

Keep it up, the car is going to be fantastic

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Nearly there accumulating water/meth injection supplies. 100psi pump, nozzles, solenoid, relays and pressure switches, fittings and junctions, -6AN hose, crimp clamps, etc. I’ll put together a parts list if anyone wants to duplicate it. Wasn’t cheap though. I mean, it’s better than some of the gonzo expensive kits available but it snowballed close to $400.

That having been said, I’ll soon have better cooling than an aftermarket FMIC while retaining the factory plumbing and appearance, WITH considerable additional octane to boot. I’m only a solenoid away from building a two stage, which I’ll probably do.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Are you upgrading your intercooler with a FMIC or want to stick to the side, under fender stock location? If you wanted to stick with the stock setup; Tyrol Sport, made one for the New Beetle and while not cheap, some said it was a improvement over stock.

There are Golf and Jetta SMIC upgrades, are sold cheaper from lesser suppliers but they are slightly different. I guess, if you have some fabrication skills; you might be able to modify the mounts and make it work?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Are you upgrading your intercooler with a FMIC or want to stick to the side, under fender stock location? If you wanted to stick with the stock setup; Tyrol Sport, made one for the New Beetle and while not cheap, some said it was a improvement over stock.

There are Golf and Jetta SMIC upgrades, are sold cheaper from lesser suppliers but they are slightly different. I guess, if you have some fabrication skills; you might be able to modify the mounts and make it work?
I have the Forge SMIC in mine, and it fits well. Needed to open up the wheel well lining, but worth it considering how much more volume it is and cooling capability it provides.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
So, what sort of differences; from intake temp lowering and power or heat soak reduction, did you experience? If you have any photos; about the install and mods, required to make it work, would be great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I have the Forge SMIC in mine, and it fits well. Needed to open up the wheel well lining, but worth it considering how much more volume it is and cooling capability it provides.

I too would be interested to hear about this. Mainly, we’re you able to adapt the Jetta/golf smic to a beetle? From looking at pictures, it’s not the mounts but the inlet/outlet angles that differ between them.

For anyone who’s interested, the core on the beetle intercooler is 3/4” to 1” thicker than the AWP SMIC in my Jetta. Stock to stock. All other dimensions are the same.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I too would be interested to hear about this. Mainly, we’re you able to adapt the Jetta/golf smic to a beetle? From looking at pictures, it’s not the mounts but the inlet/outlet angles that differ between them.

For anyone who’s interested, the core on the beetle intercooler is 3/4” to 1” thicker than the AWP SMIC in my Jetta. Stock to stock. All other dimensions are the same.
My bad, wrong maker. Tyrol sport is where I sourced it:

Forge did make one at one point, but it is no longer on the site. The Tyrolsport didn’t have any issues with inlet/outlet angles, and it was huge compared to the stock unit in my 2000 1.8T.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts