VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
So, any improvement; that were verifiable and experienced, in day to day driving?
It was installed at the same time as my K04 and other upgrades. Impossible to tell what the smic would have contributed alone. What I can say is that the boost peaks at 20psi and holds between 15-17 psi, and pulls very smoothly over and over again.

Keeping the stock location helps with the CA smog check. A fmic would give me all sorts of extra questions with the Audi TT intake manifold and plumbing changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I live in th desert southwest and heat soak, affecting turbo based engine performance is definitely a issue for me at the hottest times of the summer; I would hope that a performance SMIC would alleviate this problem or possibly help?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I’m running the factory SMIC. Should do just fine with the H2O/meth injection.

Just waiting on one solenoid for the second stage and I’m done accumulating.

And test fitting the pump. It’s quite large and the under hood space in a beetle… is not. The plan is to build a pair of brackets - one for the pump and the other for solenoids - and place them where the horns are presently.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

I ran across this the other day; when i was researching the new beetle Tyrol Sport SMIC, I wonder if, the small electric cooling fan, makes any difference?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Finished the front brake swap yesterday! Big sexy red devils off the GLI are now in place. Planned on starting the rears today but…

So yeah, that sucked. Replaced the control arms and ended up having to extract the sway bar end link mounting bolt :-/ It didn’t get cross threaded, though it looks like it. The threads in the control arm seem to be tapered so it only allows so much of the bolt to go in before it seized and snapped. Wouldn’t accommodate the factory hardware! Oh well. I’ll finish the rears some time this week.

Decided to clear my head after that ordeal and do something fun! Building the housing for the injection pump and solenoids! Yay!

The beetle is getting everything and the kitchen sink! Before you scoff/laugh, where you finding your free 16 gauge stainless? Huh!? Hahaha.

Made a few cuts to fold it into something like a half cube to protect everything from moisture under the bumper/wheel well lining. Fold er up and tack it together this weekend. No one will see it and welding metal this thin is a PITA with flux-core (out of gas), so lots of tacks will have to suffice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Finished the rear brakes last night. Bleed em this afternoon and the chassis is done for a while! GLI brakes FTW!

I had a buddy with me who I walked through doing rear brakes. A few things nearly got stripped but no major harm was caused and he learned a little something about doing some brakes!

I planned to set er down this weekend but it doesn’t NEED to be down until next weekend so I’m going to keep plugging away, get an oil and coolant change going, route my methanol injection lines, etc.

Very excited to break out the welder this afternoon. I’ve never used flux core for such a thin material before so I’m bleeding brakes and practicing some welds on scrap today!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Installed the pedal covers and dead pedal from the GLI last night.

Installed the boost gauge as well this morning. Still need to wire up its back-lighting. Just mounted it straight to the dash. Had to drill one hole in the bulkhead for the vacuum line. I had a bunch of grommets for running stereo wiring. Used an 8ga wiring grommet to protect the line. Worked great!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
You might try looking for some turbo S aluminum interior parts; to sprinkle in the rest of your car like the steering wheel covers and door unlock levers etc. to match your pedals, foot rest, etc! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Did a lift on my buddy’s Tacoma this weekend and had to free up my jackstand/jacks. So! I got to check on the beetle’s ride height and make sure the brakes fit ok. It looks great! About just what I hoped for. A little lower than stock; the brakes are huge but subtle with the stock 16s. I don’t think it will attract much more attention than any other yellow beetle would.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
2021 was rough y’all. Mom got sick and had to move in with her sister right around my last post. Moving her, parsing stuff, repairing, cleaning, selling her house. Managed the purchase of a new house for her as well, without a realtor. Then fixing up that place. Had a baby. Favors for friends in the meantime. Storm damaged roof at home. Coworker quit increasing my (our) workload - then 2021 deadlines. THEN my grandmother fell and I had to go through the whole home selling process again.

2022 started with a blizzard, then we got Covid. All the things. Fortunately, my other obligations are satisfied and I’m back to the beetle!!!

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Got a mess of rough GLI seats from my dudes Tlctmotoworksllc in Hagerstown, MD. Hit them up on IG or Facebook, particularly for your mk4 needs!

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tree Road surface

Wheel Vehicle Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Just cleaning and stripping this weekend. The goal is to construct a nice pair of fronts for the beetle and accumulate scrap material for door panel inserts and accents on the interior.

Vacuum, soak in water and vacuum again, soak with cheap foaming carpet cleaner and vacuum, rinse and vacuum again. Start pulling covers!

Outerwear Sleeve Wood Grey Denim

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
MK4.5 GLI donor went to a better place this weekend.

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

AND Tlctmotorworksllc also hooked up the back half and driveline from an Audi TT225! So, the rear subwoofers will be going away - as I have to cut the existing rear floorpan out. But yeah, we’re building an all wheel drive K04 beetle! I’m sure someone has done it before, but I haven’t seen it!

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Combat vehicle

Hell of a weekend in project land, considering I hadn’t done anything in the 7+ months before.

·
Registered
397 Posts
So glad you are back to this project! The AWD conversion is a huge deal, if you find that it ends up being a straightforward conversion (especially from the controller requirements if it isn’t 100% mechanical) it could end up on my upgrade path some day. Looking forward to seeing your updates.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
So glad you are back to this project! The AWD conversion is a huge deal, if you find that it ends up being a straightforward conversion (especially from the controller requirements if it isn’t 100% mechanical) it could end up on my upgrade path some day. Looking forward to seeing your updates.
I need to do more investigating of the AWD conversion. The shock and spring mounts look to be in different locations on the unibody (TT was IRS and not a beam). So while there’s lots of talk thrown around about drilling and swapping floor pans; there WILL be more structural changes required to accommodate the “swap”. The rear subframe for a TT ties into something rigid and I have to imagine it’s more substantial than a spot-welded floor pan. Have to get under the pan and see what’s what.

The driveline itself is not complicated though, from an installation perspective. Don’t get me wrong. It’s involved. But once the structural changes are in place, it “just bolts in”. Golf and Jetta models need an R32 driveshaft but the beetle is shorter and (I hope) more akin to a TT, so I may be able to reuse the shaft I have from the donor.

All that is to say, you’re largely correct in assuming the greatest technical challenge will be to get the haldex working without an expensive aftermarket controller. I think if I can find a TT225 ECM with an imo delete and its matching abs module and esc sensor, I MIGHT be able to get it to work.

Challenges abound but then it’s a project car. If it ain’t on jackstands having some grand plan (delusion?) executed on it, it doesn’t hold my interest :p

Of course, now I’m looking at rods, a GTRS eliminator and 550cc tune… further down the rabbit hole we go…

·
Registered
397 Posts
I need to do more investigating of the AWD conversion. The shock and spring mounts look to be in different locations on the unibody (TT was IRS and not a beam). So while there’s lots of talk thrown around about drilling and swapping floor pans; there WILL be more structural changes required to accommodate the “swap”. The rear subframe for a TT ties into something rigid and I have to imagine it’s more substantial than a spot-welded floor pan. Have to get under the pan and see what’s what.

The driveline itself is not complicated though, from an installation perspective. Don’t get me wrong. It’s involved. But once the structural changes are in place, it “just bolts in”. Golf and Jetta models need an R32 driveshaft but the beetle is shorter and (I hope) more akin to a TT, so I may be able to reuse the shaft I have from the donor.

All that is to say, you’re largely correct in assuming the greatest technical challenge will be to get the haldex working without an expensive aftermarket controller. I think if I can find a TT225 ECM with an imo delete and its matching abs module and esc sensor, I MIGHT be able to get it to work.

Challenges abound but then it’s a project car. If it ain’t on jackstands having some grand plan (delusion?) executed on it, it doesn’t hold my interest :p

Of course, now I’m looking at rods, a GTRS eliminator and 550cc tune… further down the rabbit hole we go…
AWD demands 350+hp. You’ve got your work cut out for you

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Paused, again. Picked up a flip car to finance either a Smyth Ute kit or the motor build and GTRS :cool: Yeah, it’s a Honda. It will make me money!

Key wouldn’t come out of the ignition, or go back in, or turn, or start. Fixed that. Paint is mad faded. Cleaned and buffed to see if it would improve. It didn’t. Might use this as a platform to practice a vinyl wrap before I tackle the beetle. Interior was wild gross. Cleaned that. Picked up some MINI wheels with nearly new tires, Honda center cap stickers and appropriate lug nuts for the conversion. Coming along nicely.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car seat cover Head restraint Car seat

Pulled out the bare rim collection. Several assorted MINI 17s not pictured. So much crap. Probably building clocks from the 14s and 13s.

Plant Automotive tire Light Rim Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Ordered some things. Bought a plug to fully engage the haldex clutches when they’re commanded on. Probably run power to the primer pump with the “Run” position, and wire the haldex signal to a Hobbes switch set at an appropriate boost level. Add a permanent “On” switch for snow. Start drilling spot welds once it warms up a bit outside.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts