VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2001 JETTA 1.8T BIGGG PROBLEMS

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  McBee 
#1 ·
ok i have a 1.8t jetta automatic got a good deal on but its having tons of problems it has 109,000 miles on it .. the problem im having is it will one minute be driving fine then all of a sudden throw the epc light and the antiskid light on all at same time loose power then i can pull over turn the car off for 30 seconds turn it back on and it will run fine some time the traction control light will stay on sometimes it wont... another problem im having with it is i can go out to start it first thing sometimes it will idle fine with no problems then sometimes u start it and the idle will run reallly ruff and idle will bounce like a vacum leak but there isnt a vac leak to be found it will also do that idle jump after u have been driving it around and it running smooth sometimes u can turn the car off while it has ran fine start it back up within the same minute and then it will start idle jumping i have had the computer erased of codes when it acts like its missfiring and idle jumping if you bump the gas barely and take it up to 1400 rpms its clear and clean and even drives clean but when u stop to idle its ruff and choppy idleing it wont throw a check engine code when it does this either thats why im so lost on what it could bee i have herd it could be the ecu but realy dont know anyone with one to trade and try with also while the car is ideling and running ruff we have cleared the computer wehile it was running and it would clear all codes and all and idle perfect for about 3 seconds after clearing codes and then go back to running ruff
things i have did to the car so far was one replaced water pump the plastic part of the pump split and it wouldnt pump water second thermostat and fans mass air flow sensor has been replaced becuase it was bad and would barely run if it would before doing so
im open to any suggestions im just getting tired of messing with the car getting to be old working on it none stop and it never runs correct it has all the power it should and car flyssss even when it idles funny u can get out on a long straight rd and ease threw the throttle and it will hit 120 very quickly and sometimes after u do drive and hit 70 mph and stop the car will run clear and not idle funny it will run clear
please any sugestions im about to get a bottle brush and clean every vacum line there is on there and pull the throttle body and clean it
thanks for reading i kno its alot just very lost on what else it could be

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 2001 JETTA 1.8T BIGGG PROBLEMS (1990hondacrx1990)

My guess wold first be to look at all the coil packs and find out if any are not working properly . But you did say it had codes and then you cleared them . The engine codes are a important start on where to look . I would try and get the codes the next time it happens and then post them here or do a search on the codes and that will help you alot.

#3 ·
Re: 2001 JETTA 1.8T BIGGG PROBLEMS (pest)

the codes that i cleared were for battery disconnected and for over heating the water pump and for mass air flow i replaced all that the codes threw i know that those were problems from the get go where can i get vagcom and how much does it run????? i saw on ebay a vagcom connector and drivers disc how much is the software or is there anyone on here that could burn me a copy for a small fee?

#4 ·
Re: 2001 JETTA 1.8T BIGGG PROBLEMS (1990hondacrx1990)

Quote, originally posted by 1990hondacrx1990 »
the codes that i cleared were for battery disconnected and for over heating the water pump and for mass air flow i replaced all that the codes threw i know that those were problems from the get go where can i get vagcom and how much does it run????? i saw on ebay a vagcom connector and drivers disc how much is the software or is there anyone on here that could burn me a copy for a small fee?

Ross-tech sells the authentic cable/software used by most people on here. It will run you a few hundred depending on what you get. Ebay cables will work with the right software and a little luck (I have been using an ebay cable and it works flawlessly for check/clear codes and simple logging).
As for your issues, did you check your ignition coils, plugs, wiring, like suggested above?
Also, structuring your sentences and using spell check will greatly help with responses. Most people will see this post and not even read it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.