VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to throw this out to the community, to see if anyone has any suggestions - I'm banging my head against a wall....

We have a 2001 VR6 12v that I have put 2 new clutches into within 45k miles - and it just shredded another one - and I cant figure out why. The car isnt driven super hard - sure its a VR6, so we drive it :) ....but certainly not enough to go through a single clutch at 45k, let alone 3. They are all lasting about about 8 months /15k miles, and at the end they are just shredded. I'm trying to figure out if its 1) and installation issue, 2) a parts issue, or 3) another mechanical issue that could cause this? My first thought was the driver, but after 3 clutches, and me being the driver most of this last clutch, I'm looking elsewhere....

Is there something that could cause the pressure plate not to fully engage with the flywheel, causing constant slip or heavy wear? When the last clutch went in, it didnt seem to bite like I thought it should but it it was just a feeling - It was plenty to stall out at low RPM's and a high gear start so I figured it was ok. I know issues with the Master/Slave cylinder can cause issues disengaging, but from what I know of the clutch hydraulics - that would have nothing to do with how hard the clutch should bite, unless there is some scenario where it could actually keep pressure from releasing completely, preventing the plate from fully contacting the flywheel?

As for installation, I didn't personally put any of these in, but I've had it done by 2 different shops - both of whom have done great work for me in the past - but unless there is something im not considering, I cant think of any kind of installation issue which would cause a clutch to prematurely wear - I can think of quite a few that would cause it to fail immediately or in short order, but not last 15k miles.

For parts, I'm using an OEM replacement from NAPA (Sachs M228X/M240 Pressure plate) Both times, and I haven't heard of any complaints with these, it seems pretty standard. The first clutch we replaced the flywheel, and the second we just had machined.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I missing something? We are dropping the transmission in a couple days to see the latest state of affairs, but I was hoping to see if anyone had any thoughts on things we might be able to check this time around - other than putting in a heavier duty clutch.....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have - much appreciated!

·
Registered
337 Posts
First off are you breaking the clutch in? Meaning be easy on the clutch for at least 400mi not banging gears dropping the clutch etc. secondly have you replaced the throw out bearing? If not that May be a problem causing the the clutch to not fully disengage. That's just off the top of my head

·
33,221 Posts
First off are you breaking the clutch in? Meaning be easy on the clutch for at least 400mi not banging gears dropping the clutch etc. secondly have you replaced the throw out bearing? If not that May be a problem causing the the clutch to not fully disengage. That's just off the top of my head
X2

1 - 3 of 3 Posts