VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before you jump my case....DONE THE SEARCH !!!
I have a slight huntch that my MAF is going bad. I am experiencing lower gas mileage and not so much power..almost not even the amount of power I had when first chipped. Are the 2002's not vulnerable to MAF failure like the earlier ones? Because its a 2002 1.8T, is it safe to disconnect the MAF...and leave it? Could it be DV even though I supposedly have the indestructable 2002 DV? It doesnt make any sounds at all that are bad...just a slight "tsshh" when getting off the throttle quickly. I heard that since its a 1.8T I can just use MAP instead of MAF...anyone? I hate this thing already (MAF). I would apreciate any help.
KrautFed in Alabama

[Modified by KrautFed, 6:32 PM 2-5-2002]

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Re: 2002 1.8T MAF ??? (KrautFed)

I have suspicions myself of a MAF failure...I just brought mycar into the dealer..and asked about checking the part# to make sure I didn have a bad bacth 1...he said they are fixed for 2002, I changed my DV to a forge last week..and still have the same surging problems..IU am running the v5 UPS chip...which I don't think it is..I think bad MAF...but can't have teh dealer check since I am chipped...

· Registered
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Anyone else?

· Banned
8,662 Posts

If you're mechanically inclined, remove the MAF and check to see if there's an oily film on it. If so, that could be part of your problem.
If you have a boost gauge, that would tell you more about whether the DV was giving you problems. 2002 DVs may appear indestructible...as long as they're not subjected to boost higher than ~12 psi.

Check the DV thouroughly as a first step (since it's the cheapest part).
How long have you been chipped?

· Registered
9,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey, fellow Alabamer Dubber! Im pretty mechanically inclined but no books on MK4 GTI. Im pretty sure its been subject to high boost
I race it alot. Running APR 1.1 bar for about 2500 miles....about 4600 miles on her now...no oil change yet. I need a VAG-COM

KrautFed in Alabama

· Registered
1,834 Posts

Just keep in mind whenever you go to the dealer for a MAF failure make sure your Stock air box and filter are in place.They will blame a failed MAF on a oiled filter in a heart beat. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I see a lot os k+n filters in the sigs above.

[Modified by 20VsilvrGTI, 9:34 AM 2-6-2002]

· Banned
1,493 Posts
Re: 2002 1.8T MAF ??? (20VsilvrGTI)

You guys need to have VAG-COM's. It's best $200 tool you will buy for your toolbox! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I have a 02 GTI and a GIAC chip with no MAF problems. I would bet the problem is more your K&N filter then the chip...
Please do not disconnect the MAF. If you do so the car will run in speed density mode and run off a static a/f ratio. In other words your car will run lean or rich.

· Registered
1,248 Posts
Re: 2002 1.8T MAF ??? (A-Money)

Disconnecting the MAF should be fine. If anything, it will be a tad rich. If i am correct, the 1.8T should have a MAP sensor and there for the MAF isn't a big deal to loose. There are plenty of people running without them, just disconnect it, if the problem appears to be solved then you have your culprit. EVEn if it does run it this "static mode", i'm willing to bet the static A/F is set to very rich to be on the safe side..

[Modified by GTI RB, 6:07 AM 2-9-2002]

· Banned
1,493 Posts
Re: 2002 1.8T MAF ??? (GTI RB)

quote:[HR][/HR]Disconnecting the MAF should be fine. [HR][/HR]​
Please do not disconnect your MAF. VW/Audi engineers did not put it there for the fun of it. The MAF is one of the main ways the engine can dynamically adjust A/F ratio. If you unplug it the car goes into speed density mode which amoung other things means it runs off a set A/F table. So if you have any mods whatsoever the car will for sure run lean or rich.
It's ok to disconnect it for short term testing just don't leave it unplugged.

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Re: 2002 1.8T MAF ??? (schmim)

quote:[HR][/HR]Would oil on the MAF sensor throw a code? or should it?[HR][/HR]​
I had serious MAF trouble yesterday, guess what "NO ERRORS FOUND" from Vag- com. The car was bucking, would not boost, just not accelerate period, like something was holding it back. Felt like when I popped off a hose.
I changed my DV thinking that was nothing changed. Unplugged the MAF and car ran. Every single test I ran scanned for codes. Found a leak detection pump intermittent code but that was it. Further probing, noticed that O2 sensor was trimming at -25%, and readiness had gone south, this is what tipped me off to try unplugging the MAF.

· Registered
644 Posts
Re: 2002 1.8T MAF ??? (9VW23yrs)

Oh man ....
I'm not having problems that noticable ...
But dyno runs have shown huge power loss .. as well as a sharply dropping A/F curve.
Is there a known problem with our MAF Sensors? I've got a 2001.5 passat, fyi
And well, oil on the sensors would definitely be my fault ... but is that correctable short of replacing the sensor?

[Modified by schmim, 3:41 PM 2-9-2002]

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Re: 2002 1.8T MAF ??? (schmim)

It ended up being a glob of oil on the MAF sensor element, luckly it did not fry. Cleaned it and its running again. Degrading power may be something else
than MAF. I had a leaky DV was hard to detect, also a leak in the pcv T junction, both leaks where small but would progresively get worse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.