VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about this, but I am "waffling" on this decision more than a politician! I am trying to decide on an A4 (or a cheaper car), and, to be honest, the decision would have been made already in favor of an A4 with Quattro, if it was not for cost alone. I can save several thousand dollars by skipping the Quattro, and getting 5-speed FWD only, and I am aware of the following:
1.) Quattro is overall safer
2.) Quattro has overall better resale
3) FWD is lighter and faster
Can anyone think of any other factors that I have not considered. I don't want to say that the A4 is too much money, because I like the car a lot, but am torn about the decision. It would be great to save a little money, bad to skip a necessary feature.
Thanks for your comments.

[Modified by aamsel, 6:23 PM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Re: 2002 A4 5-Speed with Fronttrack only (TabulaRasa)

The 2003 Audi A4 Cabriolet will be offered in U.S. with only Frontrac and w/o a manual transmission. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Re: 2002 A4 5-Speed with Fronttrack only (TabulaRasa)

quote:[HR][/HR]Some people will tell you that you won't need quattro in TX because it doesn't snow....well read this piece by a guy who lives in Houston...
[HR][/HR]​
I was going to be one of those guys, until I read the article

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know you never listen to what I have to say, Andrew, but I'll thow in my $0.02 anyway :p

Yes, even on dry pavement, quattro has an advantage in handling for the same reasons. Evasive manuevers, etc. are much more controlled and done with much more confidence. With quattro, you just feel you're glued to the road ...a very reassuring feeling. Obviously, you've got to keep the laws of physics in mind but I've never owned a car that exudes such a feeling of confidence.
Two other points: quattro, especially here in the NW, traditionally holds its value much more than a FrontTrak would ...almost to the point of making up the extra price you pay for it initially. Who knows if this will continue to be the case with the new multitronic (CVT). The other point is that the CVT is so new in an Audi and such a disappointment when other manufacturers have tried to market it that it is unknown how Audi's will fare as far as reliability, long term driveability and durability. Personally, I'd be nervous about buying one until it is absolutely proven reliable with no adverse longevity concerns.

22 Posts
Re: 2002 A4 5-Speed with Fronttrack only (GTI2001)

I have read that the 2003 Cabriolet will INITIALLY be offered only in Fronttrack and automatic tranny -- which gave me hope about Quattro and a 5 or 6 speed being offered sometime later on.
Have you read or heard something definitive about this which would indicate no manual tranny or Quattro at all?

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: Go to ClubA4 thread (scirocco22)

Hmm. If cost is a concern, ditch the sport package and all that stuff. You can always get new suspention/wheels in the future. You cannot retrofit quattro into a FWD car without spending more to get quattro in the first place.

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: good to hear from another quattro and non-sport advocate! (scirocco22)

quote:[HR][/HR] http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ...agreed![HR][/HR]​
Besides, stock suspention on a 2002 A4 1.8T is superior to the "Sport" suspention on the 2001.5 A4 1.8T and loads better than a Passat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: good to hear from another quattro and non-sport advocate! (TabulaRasa)

Yes! ...exactly! Two weeks ago, I test drove a '02 non-sport quattro and can attest to the fact that it did feel equal if not better than the "old" sport package of the pre-'02 model.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: 2002 A4 5-Speed with Fronttrack only (no Quattro) a mistake ? (aamsel)

Another $0.02....
My wife was looking at the VW Passat and was ready to go ahead with the purchase. I suggested she take a look at the A4 Quattro and she (as a non-enthusiast driver) got out of the car after driving it for a while and told me that that A4 was tigher and more stable than the Passat.
Although already mentioned in other posts, it does not take snow to make a road slippery; rain, sand, loose gravel, fallin leaves etc. can all cause a FWD car to let loose far more quicly than the Quattro.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: 2002 A4 5-Speed with Fronttrack only (2lowA4)

quote:[HR][/HR]Some people will tell you that you won't need quattro in TX because it doesn't snow....well read this piece by a guy who lives in Houston...

I was going to be one of those guys, until I read the article
[HR][/HR]​
I love that story, too.. I read that last fall, and it was a big factor in my decision to get an A4 Quattro.. prior to that I was considering a Ford Contour SVT.. I don't regret my final choice at all.. every single time I drive my car (especially in the snow or rain) I think about how much I love it

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Re: 2002 A4 5-Speed with Fronttrack only (JoeFriday)

Go quattro baby, but I'm biased it snows where I live.

Seriously though, the car without quattro drives like a FWD car. The AWD ones, like mine, really drive like a rear wheel drive car. As far as front wheel pull is concerned. When you gun it you can hardly feel the front wheels pulling at all. The weight distribution of the quattro is fantastic, and power distribution is smooth as hell to all four shoes. If you want to save some money then don't get the sports package, ski sack, premium package, heated rear seats, bose, xenon or the moonroof. Corners can be cut in one or two catogories whilst still getting the quattro!!!
check it out!! http://www.audiusa.com/configurator/option/1,,1_13005____0_24900-27800_13007_13202,00.html

[Modified by moonturban, 3:20 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
Re: 2002 A4 5-Speed with Fronttrack only (moonturban)

yeah, you do need quattro or else you will be out of control all the time just like everyone who drives a fwd car

lets see, the Front-trak models are less complicated, get better mileage (oh wait....americans don't care about stupid things like that)
it must be that most european drivers (who actually have to pass REAL driving tests) are dumber then us americans because less then 50% of audis sold in europe are quattro equipped, and they cant see the benefits that the wonderful american driving community sees in quattro.

·
Super Moderator
7,307 Posts
Re: 2002 A4 5-Speed with Fronttrack only (what)

That story about the S4 was funny... and not in the least bit revealing. I would hope an S4 would acclerate through a wet greasy turn better than a rear drive Crown Vic with typical cop tires sporting a tread wear rating of like 400 (that is, hard as nails with no grip).
On lower horsepower applications, that Quattro isn't essential in a place like Austin. On an S4 with a chip, putting out about 300 horsepower, the Quattro is important, but on a 3500 pound 1.8T version? Nah. You WILL get out of corners more quickly in the wet with Quattro, and the car feels more neutral, which is a good thing, but the FWD version still really isn't slower or more dangerous. AWD doesn't create more grip for braking or turning, just better acceleration if you're in a situation where the FWD car's wheels would slip - and then there's the drivetrain loss and extra weight to deal with.
Of course, I just moved to LA recently - if I was still in Chicago, I'd get a Quattro for sure. But here, I couldn't justify the cost, even assuming the thing eventually gets chipped for more power.
Just some devils advocate talk from a Quattro enthusiast

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.