VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... this my second post...with any forum...ever.
I'm as new as a noob can be. Here's my dilemma, I recently purchased a 2002 Audi TT Quattro Roadster. The previous owner replaced the original engine with a used 2002 Audi TT Quattro AMU Engine.
Every time anybody tried to start it would run for 1-2 seconds and stall out. After lots of trying to figure out this issue by gleaning information from other forums...I've come to the conclusion that it is the IMMO keeping it from running. So... I just purchased an ECM from a 2002 Audi TT Quattro that had an IMMO delete and a MASTRO Stage 1 tune. I'm thinking...WOW...two birds with one stone! Ok...it will be here in the next week...What else will need to be done to my 2002 Audi TT Roadster before I can get it to run (I was thinking...Cool Plug and Play) But I know...It's never that easy! Any accurate and constructive information will be really apricated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stay tuned...when my ECU comes in and I plug it in...I'll update this post. Start...no start. Prayers for my car to live.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stay tuned...when my ECU comes in and I plug it in...I'll update this post. Start...no start. Prayers for my car to live.
Well...the update...
No Start! I'm having ECU issues not communicating with VCDS and I now need to figure that crap out. I will keep the forum posted as to my progress of my wonderful TT and hopefully I will "one day" drive that beauty like it was meant to be driven.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's an immo issue and you're fine with an immo defeat, why not immo defeat the working ecu yourself?

Thank you for replying mdjenkins,
It must be more than just an IMMO issue unfortunately. The used ECU with a Mastro stage 1 tune that I just purchased, already had an IMMO delete. I cleared all DTC codes after plugging the new/used ECU into my Car.
Now thru my brand new VCDS & VCDS-Mobile with HEX-NET Enthusiast - WiFi & USB Interface which I just purchased and this is the first time using it, I receive these DTC's:
Address 03: ABS Brakes - DTC 01314 Engine Control Module - 004 - No Signal/Communication
Address 17: Instruments - DTC 01177 Engine Control Unit - 64-10 - Not currently testable - Intermittent
Address 17: Instruments - DTC 01176 Key - 65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent
Address 17: Instruments - DTC 01179 Incorrect Key Programing - 35-00
Address 17: Instruments - DTC 01314 Engine Control Module - 49 - 00 No Communication

All these codes came up with the ECU that had an IMMO delete?
So...I think I need to figure out why DTC 01177 Engine Control Unit - 64-10 - "Not currently testable" comes up.
And I have to reprogram my keys? The reason for the question mark is... the IMMO is supposed to be deleted and I wouldn't think the keys would be recognized at all.
If anyone out there in the VWvortex/Audi land happen to know what is the best way to go in dealing with these issues... I would be very appreciative of any input you may have!
Thanking you all in advance! Ted

·
Registered
635 Posts
By swapping in an unknown used ECU, you're introducing more variables than just solving the original issue. My first best guess is the checksums for the ECU are all wrong. So now, instead of the original issue, you're troubleshooting why this new ECU isn't plug and play.

Better to replace the original ECU and immo defeat it. This way, you can be certain that's the only issue.

Once you have a "known good", if you want, you can work on making the other ECU work. Personally, I'd just dump the bins to blobs and use the map off the tuned ECU as a starting point for the working ECU. As usual, be certain you backup your blobs before you start modifying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By swapping in an unknown used ECU, you're introducing more variables than just solving the original issue. My first best guess is the checksums for the ECU are all wrong. So now, instead of the original issue, you're troubleshooting why this new ECU isn't plug and play.

Better to replace the original ECU and immo defeat it. This way, you can be certain that's the only issue.

Once you have a "known good", if you want, you can work on making the other ECU work. Personally, I'd just dump the bins to blobs and use the map off the tuned ECU as a starting point for the working ECU. As usual, be certain you backup your blobs before you start modifying.
Thank you mdjenkins for that crucial information. I can tell...it's sound advice.
This should give you some additional information and insight of the challenges I'm addressing. My TT was last registered in 2014 in California. Right from the start of the previous owner's (P.O) ownership which started in 2014, he had issues. He told me he barely drove the car a few thousand miles before the TT was not able to be driven any more. He has always worked on his own cars, and he thought he was up for the challenge. He was telling me that the TT started to blow tons of smoke (he thought the Turbo went out). He purchased a lot of parts for the car as he was upgrading things as he went along with the repair. In February of 2017, the (P.O.) replaced the original engine with a with a good running engine complete with the turbo with 104,000 miles on it from a known e-bay re-seller with good reputation. According to the P.O. he had problems with using the engine harness that came with the replacement engine, so he used the TT's original engine harness with the new engine. He was not able to get the car to run again except for 1-2 seconds before it died (I my opinion IMMO problem). At some point in time, he threw his hands up and said I'm Done and eventually sold the car to me. I purchased the car June 1, 2021, not knowing a thing about Audi's. Never owned one...and didn't have a clue about their complexities. I have loved and owned older cars from the 50's, 60', 70's and some 80's cars my whole life...but when it comes to repair of an Audi...it's beyond my pay grade...but...I'm trying.
I know the P.O. had big plans for this car because this a partial list of some of the items that he replaced during his ownership:
  1. Engine w/turbo with 104,000
  2. replaced the Radiator overflow Bottle
  3. changed the front Axels
  4. changed the clutch
  5. changed the secondary water pump
  6. changed the mass airflow sensor
  7. replaced all turbo hoses
  8. replaced all vacuum hoses
  9. replaced blow off valve
  10. changed all motor mounts
  11. changed all transmission mounts
  12. replaced the serpentine Belt
  13. and he said there was more items, but he can't remember what they were (His Wife was listening very closely:oops:
Well... now I'm going to figure my TT out. I will put the orig. ECU in the car and delete the IMMO as you suggested and hopefully that will allow me to start the car. I am not in a hurry at all, so I take my time and do it right. I plan to pick up where the previous owner passed the TT to me and go forward. Thanks again for your words of wisdom.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The only engine harness difference I'm aware of is wideband vs. narrowband. Easily identified by the existence of a solenoid on the cam chain tensioner for VVT on wideband cars.

The AMU is narrowband. So maybe they put a narrowband engine with wideband electronics? I don't know when the wideband/narrowband split happened. You might want to check if you have a floating plug for a VVT solenoid that needs a resistor.

Once you get it running. I would recommend your next step be the timing belt. 7 years is a bit old for the belt and the hydraulic tensioner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you So much MD for your response. With all the reading that I've done...all 2002 Audi TT Quattro's have a narrow band ECU. The ECU with the Mastro tune and the IMMO delete is for the exact same 2002 Audi TT Quattro, and they both had the exact # ECU's! I will definitely change the Timing Belt since I'm not sure when it was last changed.
I'm looking forward to getting a handle on my TT!! And thank you once again for your valuable input! Sincerely, Ted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts