VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2002 Eurovan. The brake wear indicator light came on with 20,500 miles on the odometer. Since I read this board I expected the brake pads to indicate wear at about 25,000. Although, I drive my EV very carefully so I thought 21,000 was early even by Eurovan standards.
Just to be sure this was not an errant light I took it in to the dealer to check it out. They gave me a free brake inspection since this occured so close to my last service. They found that the pads had at least 60% life left and deduced that the little wire set into the pad that triggers the wear indicator was doing so too quickly.
So my question, is this something others have found with their Eurovans or are the other owners that have seen this indicator at 25,000 just changing the pads?
FYI, My wife and I absolutely love this vehicle. I just can't imagine how VW is not selling 200,000 of these a year. It is so far and away superior to Minivans and the other full size vans.

Modified by NewEurovanowner at 5:14 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Re: 2002 Eurovan brakes and premature wear. (NewEurovanowner)

I replaced mine at 25k miles. The light came on at about 22k miles. The rear pads were completely gone by the time I got around to changing them. I did the work myself.
The reason I waited 3k miles to change the pads was that the dealer told me the same thing. They were half right, the front pads had some wear left, but they did not check the rear. They told me the front pads were the only ones that had sensors. They were wrong.
It's very easy to check the pads, you can see them without taking the wheel off, although it's a bit easier if you pull the wheel. I suggest taking the time to check the rear pads yourself.
Never, ever, trust the dealer on anything regarding these vans. Especially something as important as brakes.
Az

1 - 2 of 2 Posts