VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have an 01 Eclipse GT which I'm leasing, but after time I started to really gripe about the car. My Mitsu dealer has offered to take it off my hands and get me something I'm interested in, and is finding ways to "play with the numbers" to hide the negative equity (Eclipses have no resale value...) so I can get into something desireable.
So... he's good friends with a high-volume VW dealer, who is trying to push 2002s off his lot since 2003s are arriving. I was looking more for a Jetta GLI, but since we had trouble getting one, I decided to expand my search to gingerly used 2002 Passats.
Well, they came back to me offering a 2002 GLX (Blue with tan) with a hair under 10,000 miles, 5-speed, for ~ $23K (more like $27 though with taxes and considering how "upside-down" I'll be after the Eclipse). Considering the sticker on this is around $29,000, is $23K a good deal? I'm thinking so, but it's always good to double check.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Re: 2002 GLX, 10K miles, $23K -- should I get it? (magus123x)

It’s really depends on condition of the car. Is the car wrecked before? How does the engine run? Is the clutch smooth?
Personally I’m not a big fan to spend $23K to get a used car. They are too many unknowns. You’d never know how does the previous owner treat the car. For example, since this Passat is a manual, if the previous owner was riding the clutch all the time you may need a new clutch very soon. But you just don’t know. Or since the previous owner got rid of this car so soon, he would not care to do any maintenance. And why after only a year, he/she has already got rid of this car? May be they were too many problems?
For $23K, I’d either get a new Jetta GLI, or add a little more to get new Passat GLX.
Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Re: 2002 GLX, 10K miles, $23K -- should I get it? (yrwei52)

I bought a new GLX in February for $27,600, (tip, ad a grand) and it now has 7900 miles on it.
As long as that car checks out good, I'd say it was a good deal. Passats are just breaking in a 10K miles. 5 Speeds are not all that common, either. Good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 2002 GLX, 10K miles, $23K -- should I get it? (yrwei52)

The car is from the VW dealership, and was his wife's until she made him cave to get the Audi TT she's been wanting.
No accidents, garaged, and 2/3 highway miles, 1/3 city. Paint is perfect, not even any small chips on the fascia. Interior is immaculate, not even dirt stains on the carpet. It's essentially new.
I'm not a fan on spending $23K on a used car, but my Eclipse -- $25000 when new -- is only worth $14,500 now (KBB for a mint loaded 2001 GT with 12K miles) because they well... don't hold value. And I tried selling it private -- no one wants one when they can get a NEW one for 0 down, defrerred payments, and 0% interest for 5 years! So I have a few thousand dollars of inequity by ditching it. I'd get a new GLX, but I don't want to make payments on $33K (after rolling in the negative equity)! $27K is more along the lines of what I can pay.
So... $23K for a gingerly used grocery getter for something that had a sticker of $29K. That's not a good deal?

·
Registered
787 Posts

For peace of mind, I'd take the Passat to an independent VW mechanic for a full inspection, just to make sure the car is OK. Don't know if I buy the story about the wife and the Audi. If it checks out, it sounds like a decent price. Just make sure you really want a Passat and not that GLI, or you're going to be looking to unload the car before long.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Re: 2002 GLX, 10K miles, $23K -- should I get it? (Ronbo)

I second what Ron says. $23K is a good deal, heck, you let someone else eat some depreciation.................
.......... BUT,
Make sure you want a Passat instead of the Jetta. They are two different cars. The Passat has more panache, but the Jetta has the sportier handling.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 2002 GLX, 10K miles, $23K -- should I get it? (randy)

Well, called the dealer at his home and tomorrow after work he's going to bring the car by and let me test drive it "however I wish" and inspect it to my heart's delight. He also agreed to let me take it a foreign garage I'm on good terms with (they mostly specialize in Porsches) and let them look the whole thing over.
Do I want a Jetta? No. Do I want a Passat? No. I'd rather be in an A4 3.0, or a 330i, but they're out of reach for now. I drove a new 2003 GLX (albeit a Tip) yesterday, and a well settled in 2001.5 (5 spd) with 16K, and they both handled better than my Eclipse -- no jarring over small bumps, no ridiculous torque-steer, and took fast corners with less roll and no tire squeal.
If I want to give the handling a boost, I could always keep the stock 16x7s and mount Blizzak LM-22s on them for the winter, and get the Bravo wheels (17x7.5) or Monte Carlos (17x8?) and put Potenza S-03 PPs on them for the fairer 7-8 months of the year. Could install the sport suspension or get some Eibach Pro-Kits for a tasteful drop and better handling if it was necessary.
So tomorrow we'll see how it's going to be.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts

Than get a used A4 for $23K. Should be able to get a 1.8T with manual for that price easily. Maybe has 30K on odo, but a great car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 2002 GLX, 10K miles, $23K -- should I get it? (randy)

Although I'd like an A4, I wouldn't want an A4 1.8T with 30K. Why?
1) 18 months till I consume the rest of the warranty. Audi's aren't cheap to fix. Neither is a VW, but with the used Passat I'll have nearly 3 1/2 years of remaining warranty coverage.
2) The A4 is heavy. Sure, you can replace the ECU in the 1.8T for a good performance boost, but I'm still to find a local Audi dealer that won't frown upon it (why my supervisor isn't doing anything to his S4 until the warranty is over). So performance wouldn't be where I'd like it to be. That and I like that V6s are considerably quieter, and smoother. If it was an S4, I wouldn't mind hearing those turbos, but I'm going to pass on the 1.8T.
3) The first of the new A4s had no leather seating as an option except the 3.0s. Boo. Hiss.
4) I'm still young. No moving violations or accidents, but still to earn all my points. Not cheap to insure where I live, so a Passat will be at the limit of what I'm willing to pay. I'll wait until I have all my points before I do make the jump to an A4 or 3-series -- or get a better paying job.
So for the time being, an A4 is simply out of reach -- well, more like more than I'm willing to spend. Yes, I could afford a 325 too, but the difference between the 2.5 and 3 liter is too dramatic. Just going to wait, and when the Passat is paid off, it's my down payment on a gingerly used A4 or 330 -- if not another Passat.

[Modified by magus123x, 6:31 PM 9-29-2002]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.