VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The temperature gage started heating up.. The mechanic said he changed the thermostat but it still overheats.. he said that he will put an after market special thermostat. He said if it still overheats it could be a head gasket? This mechanic is not familiar with 2002 engines. does anybody know what else it can be?
your help is greatly appreciated.

Modified by mike57 at 1:54 PM 10-20-2008

·
Registered
16,076 Posts
how much is it heating up?
is there flow in the lower radiator hose (squeeze it when the engine is warm)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (-Khaos-)

all the way if I don't stop the car.
He did squeeze it I remember and at one point one of the hoses was really hot and the other one on the other side of the engine was cold.
don't ask me which sides beacuse I don't know

Modified by mike57 at 1:58 PM 10-20-2008

·
Registered
31,467 Posts
FV-QR

Get a new mechanic. WTF, he automatically just assumes it's the thermostat and doesn't even bother to check anything else? Take it to a VW mechanic, get the diagnostic (prob will say failed waterpump due to disintegrated impeller), take it back to the first mechanic and request your money back.
BTW, do you have HEAT? Are your radiator hoses pressurized and hot at operating temps?

Modified by bluebora20v at 2:40 PM 10-20-2008

·
Registered
145 Posts
It is possible.
Since you are from montreal, there are lot of guys who are good in vw.
go to vwquebec.ca for a list of the garages if you can understand french.
But it is for sure the plastic water pump, it's a 2002, the kms arent the problems, time is.
The plastics cracks over time and destroy itself. mine from at montreal, and I live 1h30 from there. Had to get towed.

Modified by fredfire at 4:27 PM 10-20-2008

·
Registered
31,467 Posts
FV-QR

If you replace the pump DEFINITELY replace the belt. If one hose is cold and the other is hot there is no coolant flow. Your mechanic assumed that the tstat failed blocking flow. He FAILED to test anything else. Did he even TEST the tstat after he removed it? Prob not. Like I said GET A NEW MECHANIC and GET YOUR MONEY BACK.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Re: FV-QR (bluebora20v)

Maybe your radiator fans aren't operating correctly. It could just be the sensor that tells the fans to go on when the temperature starts to go up. It's like $8 from mjm autohaus.
But if one of the hoses is cold after the car warms up then its definitely the water pump. Get an upgraded one with the metal impeller

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.