VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The insurance company totalled my GF's 2001 GTI and were looking to get her something in the 6-7k price range. I don't know **** about hondas, so I'm hoping you guys can help us out. Are these cars fairly reliable? How are they post 100K miles. Most example I can find in that price range have above 100k miles which makes me uneasy a bit, but being a honda I'm not sure if thats more acceptable then with other brands.

Let me know your option, Thanks

·
Registered
89,742 Posts
Solid cars- just watch out for abused examples.

Most people buy sporty to drive sporty.
Add that to it being a Honda - that some buy because of the reliable image - and you need to watch out for examples that were driven hard and not maintained properly.

·
Registered
2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Subaru BRZ, 2015 GX460
18,683 Posts
They're stupid reliable and cheap to own. I'd have no reservations about owning one with over 100k, unless it was obviously beat up.
agreed. watch for abuse and obvious stuff like leaks and bad synchros.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
It's 2002 to 2005. I had a 2005 for daily driver and occasional autox. In stock form it is disappointing when you push it. Though it makes for a great commuter car. Traded mine on a Miata. Moded the Miata. Loved it but for the lack of space on a daily basis. Traded Miata for Golf 2.5. Full circle, really. :/

·
Registered
23,368 Posts
I had one for seven years and 80k miles and the only problem I had was the A/C compressor. It was two years out of warranty and Honda went 50/50 with me on it.

I drove the piss out of it, multiple trips to the redline every day, etc., and it was flawless mechanically and never burned oil or made any unhappy noises. My mom has it now and still hasn't had any problems; it is still on the original pads and rotors and everything else.

They are very low maintenance and only require an oil change every 10K miles and even the 100k service is cheap since it only amount to fluids, plugs and a valve adjustment (they have timing chains).

It isn't the fastest thing in the world, but it has enough and the handling makes up for it. I would buy another in a heartbeat. The only things I didn't like were the high revs on the highway (80 MPH = 4100 RPM) and the weak A/C.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I remember when these were still in production you could practically walk out the door with a brand new model for about $15K, than gas prices went through the roof and people who had them where holding on to them like glue. You can easily get over 35 mpg out of them. They are great little cars with great build quality and an well taken care of example with 100k miles will last another 100k with few to no problems. They have the best seats on an economy car, a great driving position, and that weird placed shifter it's actually in the perfect position from the 2 O'clock position.

·
Registered
23,368 Posts
I remember when these were still in production you could practically walk out the door with a brand new model for about $15K, than gas prices went through the roof and people who had them where holding on to them like glue. You can easily get over 35 mpg out of them. They are great little cars with great build quality and an well taken care of example with 100k miles will last another 100k with few to no problems. They have the best seats on an economy car, a great driving position, and that weird placed shifter it's actually in the perfect position from the 2 O'clock position.
Yeah, I paid $15,900 for mine new. I was never upside-down on it and always owed way less than it was worth. They gave me 1.9% financing along with that price so I took my time paying it off.

I never got close to 35 MPG in mine, whether I drove it hard or drove it like a granny. For city, I averaged about 26 MPG driving "spiritedly" and 28 driving calmly, so I always had fun with it. On road trips it would get 28-29 MPG doing 80 MPH since it revved so high. If I slowed down to 60 MPH and took country roads it would creep up to around 32 for the tank.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
It's hard to find a good example, most of them were thrashed beyond belief, and you can easily tell if they were. I've never driven a well kept one, I drove about 4 of them at dealers and they all were garbage. Bad shocks, broken speedos, retarded exhaust setups with no O2 sensors causing CEL's, Transmissions making shifty noises in 2nd and 3rd gear ( sounded like somebody had mis-shifted a few times and grinded them up in one of them....

That said the k20 is a good engine, and the only reason people get the dreaded "3rd gear grind" is because they are retards and mis-shifted. I notice every youtube video showing a honda going fast is just them power shifting and chirping gears, and you better bet a lot of those cars are driven like that. I drive my car like a normal person, not a ricer. It's about being smooth, not about giving your passengers whiplash every shift. Kids will never learn, at least these ones aren't too popular with the ricer crowd yet as they cost more than $1000 at the local scrapyard. Can't pay 6 grand on a car if you plan on buying $500 JDM headlights and tails for a car with mismatched body panels and a fart can....

·
Registered
239 Posts
How does the SI compare to the regular RSX?
Built on the same frame so it's pretty close. Both the Si and the base RSX have the same K20A3 i-VTEC engine that doesn't put out too much power. I had an '02 for about 5 months and loved the way it shifted and the looks when people got into it. Very good car but not well designed for lowering. I saw a lot of examples of them never aligning correctly. But they run on a single serpentine belt and a timing chain that Honda claims never has to be replaced. I had 160k miles on mine and it didn't make any noise. The serpentine belt took me all of 4 minutes to replace. Easiest oil changes of my life also. Jack up the passenger side and slide your hand under the front passenger wheel and there's the oil filter. It's such a clean and uniquely designed vehicle.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
How does the SI compare to the regular RSX?
My wife owned/owns an '03 base RSX, so I was able to directly compare the two. The RSX had a sportier feel to it. You sit lower and the suspension is stiffer. When I'd get back in my EP3, I'd feel like I was sitting on a phone book. On the comfort side, sitting in the back seat of the RSX was/is ridiculously harsh and cramped, and the Si was pretty livable.

In defense of the Si, a good wheel/tire combo plus suspension bits would dramatically increase the fun factor of the car. The engine does fall off too soon, but the torque curve is pretty flat.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.