VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing that the factory plugs are different on the 2002 vehicles from the previous years. I'm just wondering if anyone has installed PAC's SWI-7 or SWI-X steering wheel interface into these vehicles? If so, which plug/color, pin location and color of wire?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: 2002 VW Steering wheel controls and radio (PAC)

Sorry to reply off topic PAC, but I am curious if the SWI-X can send a continuous IR signal vs the burst signals sent by the SWI-7. If so then I would seriously consider getting one since this is much better for my Kenwood HU's functinality. If not, is there any way to modify the behavior of the SWI-7 to send continuous IR? (I am not afraid of pulling the unit apart and modding a trace or adding a part or two).
Thanks
S

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2002 VW Steering wheel controls and radio (Scott P)

Kenwood remotes are a bit different from other manufactures. When you press, for example, the volume button and hold to repeat, the kenwood remote will first send a long data stream then will repeatedly send small data streams after. Other manufacture's remotes will send 1 long data stream and repeat that same stream of data. In some other remotes, they send 1 wake up stream then the actual data stream command, then repeat those two streams. Well originally the SWI-7 would record the data stream until it ran out of ram to store the data, then would save it into a non- volatile memory. So when it sent out the IR command it would pretty much repeat what it recorded, somtimes not beng able to finish the small data stream and then start over. so basically it would send the big stream of data then maybe one or two smaller data streams then repeat. Well kenwood headunits did not repeat very quickly because of this. Other brands was ok, but just a bit sluggish but a whole lot better than kenwoods.
Well when we made the SWI-X, we actually would record the big stream of data then one small stream. When the SWI-X saw the button being held down, it would only repeat the second stream of data like kenwoods remote did. Well that works great for vehicles with analog controls and not serial data like he VW's or other serial data vehicles like GM or FORD.
So kenwood still seems to be the only remote that has slow response time with VW's, GM, and FORDs with serial data. So by the combination of steering wheel controls that use serial data ( not analog, analog works great now, problem has been fixed there) and the type of remote you use, respone time can be good, fair or just sluggish.
Can we do anything about that? At this time, no. By combing all the code from our previous 5 interfaces into one microcontroller chip, we just flat our ran out of program code space. We did what we could with kenwood remotes, but because of lack of program space we could not do much for serial data steering wheel controls. Sorry.
Are people not even going to bother using the SWI-X? I don't think so. Being able to use the buttons on the steering wheel even if slow when repeating, will make a lot of people happy. People just hate to lose those controls.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 2002 VW Steering wheel controls and radio (kas)

Well, just heard from a dealer that the radio has a label on it that said something like CAN (+) and CAN (-). If the steering wheel controls are using CAN data bus, then the SWI-X will not work for 2002 vehicles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: 2002 VW Steering wheel controls and radio (ChrisMD)

I think the new double DIN unit uses CAN bus. My 02 single DIN Premium V head unit still has the standard 1 pin "DATA" input. I plan on buying a SWI-X very soon to interface with my Blau Hamburg. Any recommended places to buy that may be less expensive than Crutchfield?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: 2002 VW Steering wheel controls and radio (Dave 53105)

nope, the new passat doesnt use the can-bus for the remote-controll.
The CAN - Connection is only there for diagnosing errors in a compatible hu.
The only unit wich really uses the can-bus for other purposes is the brand-new double din mfd - gps system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.