VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I posted in the wrong section. So, here goes again: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...n-Problems&p=113098945&posted=1#post113098945

Basically, here's what's happened. I bought a 2003 Jetta at auction. The transmission shifted super hard, and was diagnosed as going out by two mechanics. So, I bought a used one, had it shipped and put in. It was a bit better, but still super harsh in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. But, that was the minor problem. The other problem it has is worse. When I start the car, it shifts into all the gears just fine. If I go on a long drive, it's fine on highway. When I get to town and get into third or lower gear, I'm in trouble. The car will shift 1-2-3 normally. But, when it wants to go into 4th, it goes into neutral. If I shut the car off and wait awhile, it works again.

My mechanic ran a scan with his tool, and pulled up a code 00652. He suggested that I try a used TCM since they're really cheap. I bought one, and put it in. Now, the car shifts buttery smooth in all the gears. But, the major problem is still there, unchanged.

I did some reading on this code, and found some people talking about the valve body, some with solenoids, and some with other problems. What should I do here? I'm out $1000 for the transmission, plus $800 to have it put in. I can send the transmission back for a refund, but after paying to have it pulled out, I'd be better off to just keep driving it like it is indefinitely. I'd like this car to be something I can use more reliably- what should I do about this transmission?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '01 Golf TDI MK4 with the 01M transmission. Works great when cold, but won't shift to higher gears when hot.

It's either a worn out valve body that can't maintain pressure when fluid is hot and thin, or the electronics of the mechatronic (the electronic part of the valve body) gets overheated and the transmission goes into limp mode. There are circuit boards, solenoids, and sensors that fails with time.

There are also cases where the heat exchanger that cools the ATF with coolant is clogged up with debris. You can either replace that or try flushing it clean with CLR. I tried that approach on mine but that didn't fix the problem.

There are lots of valve body/mechatronics that are for sale. I recommend you buy one from a reputable remanufacturer or someone who uses good parts from companies like Sonnax. You can always roll the dice and purchase one from a junk yard/salvage seller on eBay too.

I don't know if your GTI has the same 01M transmission I had, but my lasted for almost 20 years until some moron totaled my car. I upgraded my valve body to a sonnax one at around 50K/6 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.