VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wah. My 2003 has just over 8000 miles. In it's short life span, the following work has been required:
Ignition coils replaced (at least this was expected)
Transmission wiring harness replaced due to flooded passenger side foot well (because of plugged AC drain, allegedly)
Warped rear brake rotors replaced (allegedly due to manufacturer defect)
And now, I need a new control module. Even the mechanic was surprised.
I'm certainly annoyed to have spent this much time at the dealer with such a young car. While the work is all covered by the warranty, I'm concerned that I'll be shelling out big bucks for the same work over and over once the warranty has expired. So my question is: Is VW supplying dealers with better parts now? Or am I just having bad parts replaced with more bad parts?
I want to love this car, but it's not easy. Do I have a lemon? Should I go so far as to initiate the (no doubt fruitless) fight for a replacement?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Re: 2003 Troubles (Lbug)

I just repalced my rear pads at 19600 miles, front is still good. Rotors are all fine. I did have some water come in the driver's side due to a the replacement windsheild being inproperly sealed. But no problems, VW Customer acted very well on this with the dealer. And they have it on record if probplems should arise within the next 4 years. I should not be worried too much, the 2003s had most of the bugs ironed out. And from what I was told by a VW dealer source the new replacement parts are indeed better in quality as they changed their suppliers. That was the problem with the old ignition coils. The new rear pads for example are not as soft as the ones it replaced. But some dealers can really ruin your car, all it takes it some idiot. The reason why I now drive 12 miles away to get service even though I have a VW dealer 5 miles closer.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Welcome to the club....hope you have deep pockets for the time when it is out of warranty and you start paying yourself. If not, better start saving up...Passats are expensive to love.

·
Registered
195 Posts

I too have a 2003 GLS with 19500 miles. Here is my list.
1. Replaced gear shift rod.
2. Replaced driver's seat frame twice but I do still have the problem.
3. Fixed various rattles near hood, front bumper. Now my driver's side mirror is rattling. Looks like a screw fell off.
It is a great car. But these issues make you really scary about what happens when the warranty expires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: 2003 Troubles (skaranam)

Misery loves company! I have a 2001.5 and have a growing list of problems.
I don't know if anyone has read the recent issue of Consumer Reports of not but it mentions the decline in the quality of cars coming from Europe and how much more dependable Japanese cars are.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Re: 2003 Troubles (another_grey_passat2)

Well, not *all* Passats have problems...
2002 Wagen
2 years, 7 months old with 35K miles:
2 headlight bulbs and ignition coils, all under warranty
2003 Sedan:
1 year, 5 months old with 15K miles:
zero, nadda, nothing

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Re: 2003 Troubles (skaranam)

Quote, originally posted by skaranam »
I too have a 2003 GLS with 19500 miles. Here is my list.
1. Replaced gear shift rod.

please elaborate on this failure.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

My car has been great, besides the radiator fan switch sticking on
high speed on day 2, its been trouble free.
1.5 years and 16,000 miles and no other problems at all, not
even a bulb out, rattle, etc.
The fan temp switch cost me $5.00 at the dealers.
Brett
V6 GLX tip

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Re: 2003 Troubles (Brett1)

Personally I think anything below 50,000 miles is pretty negligible in terms of quality. I want to hear from people with 100,000 miles on their B5.5.
(Though I'm really surprised to hear about people with less than 10,000 miles that have some fairly signficant issues--kind of a shame that I have to consider myself "lucky" to have avoided significant engine troubles
)

·
Registered
29 Posts

I have a 2003 GLX with 13.5k mi. I had the front wheel well rattle do to a loose screw falling out (fixed) and have had an oil/fuel smell consume my garage when I turn off the car. (I don't get the smell when it is running) I have brought it back to the dealer 6 times with many tests and parts changed and they still haven't fixed it. Other than that I haven't had any other problems. My *** cars have all gone over 100k without a problem but they certainly don’t drive like this one. Can you say extended warranty? LOL

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: 2003 Troubles (scotty_passat)

Quote, originally posted by scotty_passat »

please elaborate on this failure.

When ever I shift gears in triptronic mode, I used to hear a loud clicking noise. Then dealer replaced the shift rod and the chrome plate( where you see the gear numbers). I am not sure what else he replaced inside. The problem went away after that. I think this was the only problem where dealer agreed to fix the problem right away. For all other issues either I had to make multiple visits or contact disrtict quality manager to persue the problem.

·
Registered
326 Posts

I have an '03 Passat with about 13k miles, which i have chipped and modified the suspension, and....
awww, sheat....
I'm not gonna say it, not gonna say it...
(KNOCK ON WOOD.....)
I haven't had any problems with it at all.....

arg! i said it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: 2003 Troubles (Towlie)

Wah. Wah. Two trips to the dealer now, and my door lock troubles are still not resolved. I thought they'd replaced the controller for the remotes/locks, but looking closely at my invoice, I see they've only replaced the battery in one of the fobs. The kicker is that they gave the car back to me claiming it was fixed, but it wasn't. I tried the remotes there in the lot before leaving, and they're still not functioning properly: They'll lock the car, but two clicks doesn't unlock all the doors like it should.
I'm really peeved with the inconvenience, the (albeit comped) Nissan Sentra that reeked like bong water, and the complete lack of regard by the mechanic for checking the work before giving the car back.
Anyone know of good VW service in the Pgh, PA area that *isn't* Day?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts