VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 VW Weekend/German Autofest in Canberra: 27-28 September

Below is an email I received from the guy on the right (Mk2 GTI) regarding this year's German Autofest weekend. This is the event that may also see the Vortex National GTG. Hope to see you there.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Quote »
It’s on again!!! After the success of last years event, this weekend long event will take place on the 27th and 28th of September.
The weekend will kick off on the Saturday at 11 am with a cruise through Canberra and surrounds culminating with a picnic lunch in the early afternoon. This will be a great opportunity for Canberran VW enthusiasts to meet our NSW counterparts and share stories and laughs.
Sunday sees the return of the Shannons German Autofest, an all German marque show including rare vintage vehicles such as NSU, Messerschmidt and Goggomobil. Once again, the Shannons VW Show and Shine will take place with 18 trophies to be awarded. I must add that it is an opportunity to show off your car, even if you don’t want to enter the competition. Canberras only Volkswagen dealer, Lennock Motors, will be present with a display of current model vehicles.
For NSW enthusiasts, it is an opportunity to explore Canberra and surrounds and enjoy the friendship of other VW fans on a great weekend away from home. For Canberrans, it is a great chance to get in contact with active clubs and fellow enthusiasts, and take part in Canberras only VW event on the calender.
Steve Crispin

Cheers Liam
EDIT: Contact is Steve Crispin ... [email protected] http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
If you want to give him a call for anything, let me know and I'll IM you his mobile number.

Modified by act:GTI at 7:20 PM 7-2-2003

Modified by act:GTI at 8:59 AM 7-5-2003

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Re: 2003 VW Weekend/German Autofest in Canberra: 27-28 September (act:GTI)

Cool! Better start sorting the van out, although might have to leave it outside again. Also better remind dad to prepair the TT.

·
Registered
922 Posts

I am really trying to get to this regardless of wether we make it the GTG or not, all I have to do is arrange a 2 days off work and its done.
I think it would be the ideal chance for the GTG, we have an event which we are interested in and chance for those us so inclined to show off our cars.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

I'm in, now just to organise the trip. This is perfect for a national gtg. The German Autofest organisor's wont know whats hit them! Cmon everyone lets make this happen. Liam is there registration form to fill out?

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 2003 VW Weekend/German Autofest in Canberra: 27-28 September (Wal)

Quote, originally posted by Wal »
I'm in, now just to organise the trip. This is perfect for a national gtg. The German Autofest organisor's wont know whats hit them! Cmon everyone lets make this happen. Liam is there registration form to fill out?

I've extended an invitation for Steve (the guy who sent me the info) to check out the forum and unless he replies in the meantime I'll look into it for you. As far as I know though I don't think it is that formal. Although the year I showed my car it was to save face... there were a total of 5 VWs from memory!

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 2003 VW Weekend/German Autofest in Canberra: 27-28 September (IML337)

Quote, originally posted by IML337 »
every damn year I miss out on this

I'm flying UK - Germany on Sept 27 (which also happens to be my birthday
)
Should be a good weekend I reckon!

I'll make you a deal, let's trade pics when you get back!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

Liam i need to book accommodation, can you recommend any motels and where exactly will the autofest be held? Also how long is the drive from Adelaide to Canberra?

·
Registered
6,241 Posts

Where is the autofest actually held Liam ?
thanks dude.

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 2003 VW Weekend/German Autofest in Canberra: 27-28 September (Sloth)

Quote, originally posted by Sloth »
Where is the autofest actually held Liam ?

Don't know anything really about the locations for the planned cruise on the Saturday. Sunday's activites will be held on the lawns of Commonwealth Park, which is by Lake Burley Griffin. It's basically at the Lake end of Anzac Parade which runs down from the War Memorial.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

baaarmp.. interesting proporsal.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Mike

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Liam i need to book accommodation, can you recommend any motels and where exactly will the autofest be held? Also how long is the drive from Adelaide to Canberra?

Recommending motels etc is a little tricky as I'm not really sure what you are after. There are serviced apartments all over the place to suit most budgets as well. The Autofest will be held on north side of the lake (Burley Griffin), see post above. But remember, your only ever 15mins from anywhere in Canberra! Well, except if you're in Tuggeranong.
Anyway, suburbs closest for accommodation would be Kingston, Griffith, Barton, Forrest, Parkes (these 5 are on the south side of the lake), City, Braddon, Turner, Dickson (all north side).
Best bet I reckon is to check out http://www.wotif.com as they seem to have some pretty good deals, although they are usually only a week or two in advance. The best guide for accommodation I can think of would be the NRMA Accommodation guide, which I'd imagine to be available for you through the RAA.
The drive from Adelaide to Canberra is 12-14 hours (although my Mum claims to have done it in 9hrs in her Alfa Spider back in the 70s
). If you were persistent and managed to steer clear of the boys in blue you could do it under 12. The quickest route is Adl-Tailem-Pinaroo-Ouyen-Hay-Wagga-Hume Hwy-Cbr. Although the "main" route is to go north via Mildura. Be prepared for lots of nothing, oh except for bugs ... and not the VW kind!

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Wal, here is Steve's answer to the registration question ...
"As for registration, I am still nutting over how to keep myself from being held liable should anything go wrong on the cruise, so I am considering a waiver for people to sign. As for the show, there will be a registration process as the cars will be judged and trophies awarded. I am, however, considering allowing cars to display without being judged."

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

I can confirm that i will definately be attending this event in Canberra. I will plan on getting to Canberra on Friday 27th September. Now to find a accomadation near the lake.
Oh Liam, you can let Steve know that I will be going in to be judged.

Modified by Wal at 7:18 PM 7-7-2003

·
Registered
922 Posts

Wal,
I am having our travel agent check for rooms in Canberra for that weekend. I have given her a budget of around $120.00 per night.
I checked Flag Inns web site and most their motels are booked out.
Depending on the answer from the travel agent will decide if i go or not.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Re: 2003 VW Weekend/German Autofest in Canberra: 27-28 September (urban1.8t)

Ok Dave, see what you came up with.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
this event has hereby been officially approved by my consultant financial and social director/coordinator..... ie, wife

consultant... 'cause i only listen when it suits me

so i will be there!

1 - 20 of 146 Posts