VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
'91 GLI, '98 Vr6 GTI, '17 Golf R
451 Posts
I would search the site for no crank no start and see what other things people have suggested. After re-reading all your posts it seems like it starts off like a low battery, but a new battery isn't fixing the problem. When I searched the site briefly somebody suggested checking both terminals on the starter for power, because you need the direct power from the battery and the signal wire power for the solenoid. Other than that you have checked all your fuses? Under the hood and inside the car? I don't see how you could have direct power and signal power to the starter and not have it spin, unless you have no ground or the new starter is bad.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I can't tell about pop starting it because I live on a hill and if it doesn't work it'll be down the hill.

I put a meter on the wires going to the solenoid of the starter, and when I turn the key, it sees 12v. Given that, I would assume the igntion switch and clutch pedal switch are both good.

I'm going to try to hotwire the starter from the battery and see if it spins. If it does, then I really have no ****ing idea what the issue could be.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Maybe connect a test light to the power terminal of the battery and touch the starter housing to make sure it has ground. You could check 12v to the starter on the signal wire (and have it) but if the starter isn't grounded you wouldn't complete the circuit.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Brand new battery. Still nothing.
have you checked your main positive battery wire going down to the starter? they like to brake off and corrode around the clamp, it could look good, but as soon as you tug on the wire it breaks off.

Remove/release tension on your accessory belt, I have seen people scrap their car because A/C compressor seized up and the motor won't turn over (does a click and that's it)

My New Beetle starts without pressing the clutch pedal. I assume that is how they came from the factory
Early models didn't have the switch (I think. my VR6 2000 didn't have one either)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Wire looks good on the battery terminal, and it looked good on the starter itself when I replaced it.

Ran a test wire from 12v battery to starter itself.

Touched the 12v wire from the battery to the starter terminal and it spun up the starter, but it did not sound like it extended and turned over the engine. Just sounded like a spinning electrical motor. Would there be a reason it would spin but not extend?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
What brand starter did you buy and install? Maybe, it is defective; get it tested to confirm. Cheap Chinese rebuilt or new starters; are notorius, for being defective, not last long and prematurely fail. Genuine oem Bosch is recommended; quality starters, same as installed at the VW factory, sold at the VW dealership parts dept but cost less.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Most likely, one from their "Import Direct" house brand of parts for VWs; we have not heard of good feedback about the quality of these parts. For example, their fuel pumps; are made by Airtex, which are notoriously failure prone. For whatever reason; they source lower quality parts and still charge premium prices for them.
I would remove the starter, have it tested at O'Reilly's; confirm it is or isn't bad and ideally, get a refund, go with a genuine oem Bosch starter. I believe Advance and Autozone; carry Bosch starters or order online for better pricing, lookup the right starter for your car here: Home | Bosch Auto Parts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yeah I don't think that's the issue, friend. I turn the key, nothing happens.

I jump 12v from the battery to the starter, it spins.

Changning to a different brand starter would not fix the issue. What I don't understand is that when I turn the key, I get 12v to the plug that snaps into the starter. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
451 Posts
have you checked your main positive battery wire going down to the starter? they like to brake off and corrode around the clamp, it could look good, but as soon as you tug on the wire it breaks off.

Remove/release tension on your accessory belt, I have seen people scrap their car because A/C compressor seized up and the motor won't turn over (does a click and that's it)

Early models didn't have the switch (I think. my VR6 2000 didn't have one either)
I have my son's friend's 1999.5 Vr6 GTI in my backyard and it has the switch.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah I don't think that's the issue, friend. I turn the key, nothing happens.

I jump 12v from the battery to the starter, it spins.

Changning to a different brand starter would not fix the issue. What I don't understand is that when I turn the key, I get 12v to the plug that snaps into the starter. Makes no sense.
The starter solenoid makes the gear kick out and engage the flywheel. which in turn turns the motor over. Just because your new starter turns over that doesn't mean the new starter solenoid on the new starter is good. If you would listen to people trying to help and get the new starter tested we could move on from there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Dragged the car to a repair shop, let them play with it.

Here was the problem: The autoparts store sold me the wrong f*cking starter. They sold me one for a 5spd, not a 6spd (turbo S, not regular turbo).

It looked the same, bolted in fine, and even the little connector signal wire clicked on, but it did not make electrical contact. It also didn't engage with the flywheel, the teeth were not long enough on the gear. Auto parts store was at fault, they sold me the wrong part, so they covered the labor to diagnose the wrong starter and replace it with the correct one, so I'm squared up.

Moral of the story: if you have a 6spd, make sure you get a 6spd starter. TRIPLE CHECK.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Yep, that is common issue; every normal auto parts store I went to, tried to sell me the wrong starter for my 02 Turbo S (as noted: the 02J 5 speed; NOT the starter for the 02M 6 speed). I had to special order; from WorldPac through my Advance Auto, then CarQuest store (genuine Bosch). Glad you got it figured out; definitely, a unique starter, tooth count and flywheel different, clutch, etc. Thats great the auto parts store; helped you out with repair costs and diag, what parts store was that?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts