VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New V6 4Motion, 6 weeks old, when coasting slow and then apply some gas the transmission seems to really bang/thud into gear. Similar reaction periodically when slowing to a complete stop. Using the auto not the tip. Anyone experience something like this. Time for a visit to the dealer to check on it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: 2004 4Motion transmission bangs/thuds (ct47)

Yes, lots of people. I've had my car for 8 weeks now. VW knows about this problem but can't fix it yet.
I'm giving them through the summer to fix it, or I'll lemon the car. Lemon laws in MA say that if you give it to them to fix 3 times but they can't, they have to take the car back. You get 1 year or 15,000 miles.

Check these...
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/v...otion
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1274244
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/...54065

Modified by dfmarcus at 12:55 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Re: 2004 4Motion transmission bangs/thuds (dfmarcus)

Guys this is the 4 Motion clunk. VW knows about this issue and the fix is a flash of the TCU (Transmission Control Unit). Schedule an appointment with your VW Dealership and they will address the issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: 2004 4Motion transmission bangs/thuds (The Swami)

Been there twice. They can't fix it yet and they don't know when they will be able to fix it. Spoke with VW customer service. Same message. No timetable. I asked the rep, could it be weeks, months, or years. They have no idea.
This does not inspire confidence and in my opinion, in not acceptable on a $30,000 new car. Especially when you throw in the fact that they sold the car knowing it had a defect that they can't fix.
Like I said, I'm giving them some time to come up with a fix. If they don't get it done in that time, they will have to take the car back.

Modified by dfmarcus at 6:53 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello
I am in Cambridge and have the same problem with my 2004 Passat 6v 4Mo.
Where did you buy your car?
Maybe with two complaining we are stronger.

cK

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

MS sells software with bugs that they can't fix...right away.
Ford sells the focus with many many many recalls that occurred during the lifespan of the vehicle. Do you see them hold off production on a new vehicle.
If you wanted something perfect, you will wait for an eternity, or buy an appliance, if it is made by humans.
I am getting tired of this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: 2004 4Motion transmission bangs/thuds (pipes)

Tired of what? I'm giving them the chance to fix it. If they can't, then why should I keep something that's broken? That's why they write lemon laws. If I wait too long, it becomes my problem.
What happens if my car can never be fixed. I just got screwed out of a lot of money - not $99 for Windows XP. When I try to sell it, do you think anyone who experiences the clunk will want to buy it?
If you buy a VCR, and when you tape something, it only gets 59 out of 60 minutes, would you return it? What if the manufacturer said it could fix it, but it will take 6 months? Would you wait?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: 2004 4Motion transmission bangs/thuds (vw2004)

Quote, originally posted by vw2004 »
Hello
I am in Cambridge and have the same problem with my 2004 Passat 6v 4Mo.
Where did you buy your car?
Maybe with two complaining we are stronger.

cK

Quirk VW

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

-qoute: When I try to sell it, do you think anyone who experiences the clunk will want to buy it?

So you didn't experience the clunk during test drives?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: 2004 4Motion transmission bangs/thuds (pipes)

No - not during the test drive. If I had, there is no way I would have bought the car.
They are able to tweak the settings so it won't thunk for a short time. It showed up about a week after I had the car. Took it back, they adjusted it and it went away for another 2-3 weeks. Took it back again.
Basically, I'd need to have them tweak it before trying to sell it. Sounds shady to me.

Modified by dfmarcus at 11:22 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
603 Posts

Every AWD car I've had, including my A6 has had a certain amount of driveline play or "clunk." Never had any problems with it in the A6.
My W8 has a very slight clunk (occasionally) when I get on the gas after coasting...but not all the time. Definitely NOT a "BANG."
Doesn't bother me at all. But if there is really a reflash fix for it I'll have them take a look at the next service.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: 2004 4Motion transmission bangs/thuds (ttocsffej)

I can live with a slight clunk. The bang is problematic. If feels like someone hit me from behind.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dfmarcus »
I can live with a slight clunk. The bang is problematic. If feels like someone hit me from behind.

That would be very disconcerting. I hope they find your fix soon...

·
Registered
653 Posts

I work at dealership and they say it will be a few months until they have a fix. They will have naswer very soon .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Mine situation is at the "someone hit me from behind" level also. Took it in today with printouts from all the solutions I could find online. I also showed printouts to the service manager and sales manager of all the people who have lemoned one out or are in the process. I have no desire to pursue that, but wanted them to know I am aware this is not an isolated incident, and I won't go away until it's resolved to my satisfaction. They are keeping it over night to check the fluid level cold tomorrow. He mentioned re-flash, or possible replacement of the TCM as the next phase. I'll let you know what goes on.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

O.K. Guys, what you can do is buy the TCU upgrade mod from GIAC. This slightly changes the shift points on the 4 Motion transmission and addresses the clunk issue. Some VW Service Departments are flashing the ECU and even slightly lowering the idle and shift points as a temporary fix.
VW is working on a TCU reprogram but it's going to take some time. When I owned my 2000 4 Motion, I experienced the same clunk until I purchased the GIAC ECU and TCU mods. Hold tight guys because VW is going to have something available soon. Talk to your service advisor or call VW Customer Care for more information.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Just back from picking it up. Dealer spent time on the phone with the regional tech rep and I was told the following: The new program for the TCM is being tested for EPA cpmpliance now and won't be available for release until 6 to 8 weeks out. Not sure how or why the EPA would be involved but I'vre marked my calendaqr for 7 weeks out incase they told call me as promised.

·
Registered
76 Posts

That's promising news. Did they say they won't change the TCM because a fix is on the way? Will they do anything for you over the next 6-8 weeks?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts