VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another dumb-buy build thread (ressurection thread?) by Greasysidedown. As if I needed another project.

Story: this car I messaged about maybe 8 months ago on marketplace. It was advertised as 75k miles, engine failure unknown. BEW TDI with DSG. I looked at the pics and thought "that's a nice car". Never seen "sport" cloth interior before in a Beetle and it sure looked clean. Fast-forward to July 2021. Marketplace notifies me she dropped the price and I just happened to be not at work in some other country so I went and looked at it. She told me it runs but blows oil everywhere and has a loud knocking sound.

We tried to get it going but I ran out of time for the evening. 2 days later I came out with the tow dolly and we actually STARTED IT and DROVE IT onto the tow dolly!

Next day I tore it all apart and yanked the engine out with my excavator

Tore the engine down and found this!!

Broken crank.

Pistons didn't hit the valves and are in great shape. Cylinder head is brand new!

Engine block wasn't salvageable but luck shone down upon my sorry ass and a kind local guy GAVE me a BEW short block that had light exhaust valve kisses on pistons. FREEEEEEEEEE

Look at this beautiful interior!

I checked compression heights and confirmed no bent rods. Really the only way to bend a rod on a stock build is for something to physically enter the combustion chamber such as a valve head. Light kisses on pistons are not an issue since the lifter takes the abuse. I'm gonna send it as-is. My wifes Beetle (same exact car) ate a timing belt at 81k miles and had heavier kisses on the pistons and I sent it. 115k and counting on that car. Anyway, I just got done cleaning my free engine block and it was absolutely the dirtiest I've come across in my entire life. Had original water pump and no wear ridge in cylinders so I guestimate 120k miles on that one then the timing belt let loose. Seal wear on crank snout confirms my estimate.

I'm painting the engine block with "motor coater" brand paint so stay tuned as parts show up and I throw this thing back together. I'm not sure which way this car is headed but it'll be something special for sure.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sounds like, quite a project; the fact the body and interior is in such immaculate condition, is a HUGE bonus! Nowadays, it is hard, to find a New Beetle; that isn't destroyed interior and exterior wise, much less mechanically! :) How was the auto trans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got 1 side painted this evening. Parts ordered from Aaron (CascadeGerman.com), will go pick em up tomorrow and possibly get this thing together this coming weekend. Did one powerwash session (see below)

I think I figured out how the crankshaft broke...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
So, have you figured out; the cause of the failure??

Various theories; seem to abound, as to why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
595 Posts
Exceptionally hard, actually. You are going to elect to fit a different subframe.....aren't you? I sure would.

Having her do this to the car is actually a blessing as long as you can handle all the work yourself. As already stated, the rest of the car seems wonderful.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imma just send it with this one. It curled the metal back but the dogbone still mounts fine. Not worth the amount of crap I'd have to go through (pick-n-pull removal of a new subframe, removal of mine, reinstallation) to fix superficial damage.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Definitely, a "perfect impact"; to take out that TDI 1.9L engine! A skid plate, like a Panzer Plate or one from Evolution Import, might be a good insurance for the next "perfect" moment of impact? Kinda, makes you wonder; what happened and what the circumstances were, that made this catastrophic damage take place!? :)

Heavy Duty Aluminum Skid Plate Kit w/ Oil Drain Port & Cover (A4)
Evolution Import
Manufacturer Number: A3002

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone know about DSG trans issues? HARD judder/shudder in 1st and reverse. Fluid that came out was new looking. Removed 5 liters, replaced with 5 liters. No codes on VCDS and I did the reset procedure on Basic Settings. No help. I hope its something easy like the mechatronics.

Another thing I can hear what sounds like gears crashing lightly when it shifts from 2nd to 1st while stopping. My other DSG has never made such noises. Almost feels like its getting stuck between 2 gears. I should have put the 02M in.

DSG TDI 1st Gear Shutter Judder HARD

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dragged it home this morning. 78k miles, engine and trans are probably good. Gotta bust out the bandsaw and plasma cutter to get this one out. Car is a 2006 and has some useable interior bits if anyone out there needs parts. I'm ripping it apart and scrapping it pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
That's quite a find and I'm really astonished that you were able to drive it onto the dolly after finding out later on that the crank was broken.

With that subframe all bent up like that, it tracks that something really hard must have been hit to do that much damage to take out the oil pan and eventually cause the crank to fail.

That sucks that the DSG transmission isn't working like it's supposed to and you're having to get a second car for the parts you need. Heck if you keep on buying VWs at this rate you could start your own business selling VW parts and VWs that you've repaired. ;)

The Beetle looks great with those wheels on it. (y)😊

I would have gone with the O2M transmission if you plan on keeping the car and if I remember right your wife/girlfriend can drive a manual transmission. If for some reason the DSG is messed up in the damaged Beetle, it'll be a sign that you're supposed to go with the O2M transmission.

Keep up the great work and I may be interested in the PD100 injectors if you're going to scrap the second beetle. If you plan on keeping the engine as a spare, that's understandable too.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was wondering what was involved to swap to manual on this car. I've done an ALH Beetle but from my searching on the interwebs the BEW/DSG is a whole different animal? I'd LOVE to drop the 02M in this thing. I sent an email to Malone asking about what ECU-wise is needed to swap. Hopefully its the same procedure as a non ESP ALH car..

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been driving the little creature and its soooo CIVILIZED. I put it on Solowerks coilovers and it still drives good. New trans is perfect and this car is like brand new. Alot if work but always worth it for a red TDI.

Pics of the interim work will be up shortly. Posting this while waiting for my friend to get out of the ER for almost killing himself on a jump (MTB). I refinished the hatch and added a color correct OEM wing. When I open the hood for people the look of horror is priceless as it makes them embarrassed for having such dirty engines :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got tags on it. Legal! Lady at DMV told me the car went thru several Copart auctions in 2011 where it received a branded title for "undercarriage damage". It's all coming together now! I'm right at 1000 miles so far and the car is perfect.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts