VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an ‘04 Golf, with the SOHC 8v 2.0L engine. Long story short, water pump started leaking, overheated, warped head. Repaired head, valve job and resurface. I am assembling everything and have gotten the camshaft in, timing belt tensioned, and tried turning the motor over by hand with valve cover off. I thought I was in time with the crank before putting the head back on. But I wasn’t, and I didn’t check before installing the belt. I was way off. So during the hand cranking I felt a stutter and heard a knock, or hammer type sound during the rotation at its greatest compression. Did I bend a valve? Also, I messed up the tensioner on installation by not using a washer(I know, dumb mistake, but I kept the nuts and bolts on the head when I gave it to a shop and they took them off, leaving me a bag of fasteners) I’m seeing all sorts of answers as to it being a non-interference engine and an interference engine. I’m also seeing different engine codes that are and aren’t and I cannot tell what engine code I have. My 4th and 5th VIN are GL. Any help would be grateful, as I have a nagging wife that wants her Routan back, lol. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
It is interference. But they tend to not have as much damage as the 1.8T and TDI when the belt fails.

I'd say if you felt something that didn't feel right, I would make sure the valves are fine before you go further.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found out what’s making the extra clacking.. the lifters are slamming back onto the lowest point of the camshaft lobe on 6 out of 8 lifters/cam followers. Measured with a .2mm gauge. Question, even if I replace the lifters, and there’s slack after a cold check after a 24 cooldown from a warm idle, is it safe to say I need to put shims under the buckets? If so, what kind of shims?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Answer to my question and for anyone else that would like to know: New Lifters soaked in oil for 24 hours is the trick. Before and After installing the cam shaft, I pressed on the lifter and felt no depression/slack, where as before, you could press on the the lifters and feel/see them move. Apparently the shop should have installed the cam to complete the job. I didn’t know this. Nor did I know about soaking the lifters prior to installing the cam after getting the head back from the shop. Needless to say, it sounds like it did before the warped head (needs an O2 sensor and new plugs). No adjustment or shims needed.
So, yeah, check out the clips posted in this post to hear what “clacky” vs normal lifters sound like..
clacky- Twitch
Normal- Twitch

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is interference. But they tend to not have as much damage as the 1.8T and TDI when the belt fails.

I'd say if you felt something that didn't feel right, I would make sure the valves are fine before you go further.
The clicking/stuttering sound I heard/felt was due to me being a dumb-a$$ and hand cranking from the Cam bolt, and not the crank bolt which was just the belt slipping teeth... no damage done..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.