VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I removed too much transmission fluid approx 1/2 qt. I now know that this is a sealed unit but I would like to add some fluid but I cannot find the exact location to add fluid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hoping to not go to the dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There should be a short fill tube on the transmission side facing the radiator, just above the lower oil pan. Remove protective cap (usually red color) and then use a funnel to add transmission fluid.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
dependents on which transmission you have.
for the 01M there is a black cap with a red locking plastic ring around it. and the instruction says to check fluid when it is at operating temp. Car in level surface and fill till it drains out of the stand pipe on the bottom of the drain plug. (its a drain plug and a stand pipe in one )

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have an 2004, 2.0L jetta automatic. Do these cars need their transmission fluid ever replaced? I thought these were "lifetime" but have also heard that that word lifetime is misleading, and often it may be wise to replace the fluid.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I also have an 2004, 2.0L jetta automatic. Do these cars need their transmission fluid ever replaced? I thought these were "lifetime" but have also heard that that word lifetime is misleading, and often it may be wise to replace the fluid.
No fluid lasts a lifetime. These "maintenance free" units were a sales pitch to new car buyers and a way for VW to save a few bucks, while forcing owners to go to a dealership or reputable VW mechanic for eventual service. I did the fluid and filter twice on my 2000 Jetta before I sold it with 175K on the clock. It's a bitch, but not impossible. There are some good DIYs here. When it comes time to refill the fluid, I'd recommend measuring how much comes out (by putting it in a gallon jug, etc), putting the same amount of new fluid back in, plus maybe a touch more (to compensate for any that may have evaporated, etc). If the gears are slow to engage when it gets cold, you probably didn't put quite enough in.

If you know someone with that expensive @SS VAGCOM software, you can do it the recommended way, but who has that kind of cash? The one thing you DEFINITELY don't want to do is to take it to a garage that either doesn't know what they're doing or are trying to cut corners. These shops will elect not to drop the pan, drain the fluid, and replace the filter and gasket. They will instead hook up a pressurized line, flush most of the old fluid out, put new in and call it a day. All this does is stir any metal filings from normal wear and tear up INTO the transmission where it doesn't belong and burn it up shortly thereafter. When these cars where relatively new, there was story after story of this being done and owners having their trans burn up after just 60-70,000 miles. Long story short, do your research and take it to someone you trust. Or, do a little more research and tackle it yourself. Just be sure to get the right fluids/parts and triple check your work. (y)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yea the word LifeTime have been discussed to death on this forum regarding the VW's claim to Lifetime... Even the "real" manufacture (I think it was Aisin or something) of these 01M transmissions says 40k or was it 60k.. VW's claim of life time is the life warranty of this car.. something to that extend, you can google that discussion here for a laugh. 01M is easy, the tiptonic is also pretty easy. plenty of DIY and youtube videos. Material cost is/was about $100 or less I think... fluid, seal, filter, and save the spacers from old seal..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts