VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the chances that the 2004 Passat will get the 3.0L V6 currently in the Audi family
That 2.8L is getting pretty far behind if VW wants to continue to be competitive in the class

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
4,504 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (DCC)

No 3.0 for the Passat.
The engines for 2004 Passat are:
1.8L Turbo 170hp
1.9L TDI 130hp
2.8L V6 190hp
4.0L W8 270hp

·
Registered
771 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (candywhitepassat)

That's pretty strange that VW uses the 2.8 V6 still. There has got to be economies of scale here and to have only one model use the engine makes no sense. The V6 is a good motor but quite dated. 190 hp vs. 240, 245, and 255 in the Accord, Altima, and Maxima is tough competition.
We should be getting the 6 cylinder TDI as well, not the 4 banger.

[Modified by SilverFlash, 11:36 AM 1-3-2003]

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
4,504 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (SilverFlash)

quote:[HR][/HR]We should be getting the 6 cylinder TDI as well, not the 4 banger.
[HR][/HR]​
It's a nice engine, but it's expensive. Not too many people would want to pay $35000 for a Passat TDI V6.

·
Registered
665 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]That's pretty strange that VW uses the 2.8 V6 still.[HR][/HR]​
Audi has too many leftovers on this outdated 190 hp 2.8 V6 engine. They have to find someplace to use this engine up. Passat is the only model they can afford to keep using this outdated engine. They don’t want to risk decreasing sales on A4 with an outdated engine in it. Passat owners and buyers are treated as the second-class citizens by VWAG.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (candywhitepassat)

As long as we can chip those engines with the level of ease like my 1.8, I will be happy. But VW better get its act together to face the competition. It is difficult staying on the top.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (Gimps Unlimited)

If you can hold out for the 2005 supposedly there will be a 3.2 / 24 valve VR6 (240 hp / 203 lb-ft).
But of course you don't know what VW will do until you're actually in the car

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (PassatB5.5)

when the passat is updated with a new platform you'll see the 3.2. i don't understand the point in making that car a high performance model i meen you can't even get the 2.8 in 4 motion with a stick, the 2.8 has its strong points though, parts are easily available and its a pretty smooth drivetrain across the board.... i'd much prefer the 3.0 a4 with the six speed quattro.

·
Banned
6,488 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]There has got to be economies of scale here and to have only one model use the engine makes no sense. [HR][/HR]​
What? You seem to have the idea that VW/AUDI is a small company. Please estimate how many 2.8 V6 (90 degree) and 3.0 V6 engines VAG makes each year.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (NC-GTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]There has got to be economies of scale here and to have only one model use the engine makes no sense. [HR][/HR]​
That's why VW uses the 2.8liter engine in the new Skoda as well.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (NC-GTI)

Well, VW targeted selling 110,000 passat annually with the redesign and say the sales split is 60/40 in favour of the 1.8T.
Now considering that the NA market is the largest market...
Maybe 100 - 150,000 V6 passats a year globally?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

For those of us who love the V6, I agree that the Passat is being left for dead by the competition. We may rhapsodize all day long about superior body rigidity, superlative styling, value for the dollar, etc. We even bemoan the Passat's un-VW handling, but quickly add that a visit to Uncle Eibach and Aunt Bilstein will fix that isssue....but members of this website are enthusiasts. And enthusiasts want, among all of the above, HORSEPOWER. Five or six years ago the 190 hp 30v V6 was near the head of the class, especially since it was one of 2 or 3 that included a manual gearbox option. Now it must endure the taillight view of the new Altima V6, Accord V6, and Mazda 6. I haven't heard of a chip for my motor that will make that much of a difference. Add exhaust and intake (which I plan to) and perhaps I can close the gap. The irony here is that I still love my B5 even with its perceived shortcomings. It is the best car I have owned. Yes, I would buy another before those bland Japanese offerings.
BUT, if VeeDubAG wants the Passat to remain competitive in the US market, it's time for an infusion of Vitamin HP. Either the 3.2L VR6 or the 3.0L 30v Audi motor would be a great start. We Passatphiles of the V6 variety do not want to see the B5.5 be the whipping boy of its class, even if the rest of the machine is superior.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (DrPassat)

quote:[HR][/HR]For those of us who love the V6, I agree that the Passat is being left for dead by the competition. We may rhapsodize all day long about superior body rigidity, superlative styling, value for the dollar, etc. We even bemoan the Passat's un-VW handling, but quickly add that a visit to Uncle Eibach and Aunt Bilstein will fix that isssue....but members of this website are enthusiasts. And enthusiasts want, among all of the above, HORSEPOWER. Five or six years ago the 190 hp 30v V6 was near the head of the class, especially since it was one of 2 or 3 that included a manual gearbox option. Now it must endure the taillight view of the new Altima V6, Accord V6, and Mazda 6. I haven't heard of a chip for my motor that will make that much of a difference. Add exhaust and intake (which I plan to) and perhaps I can close the gap. The irony here is that I still love my B5 even with its perceived shortcomings. It is the best car I have owned. Yes, I would buy another before those bland Japanese offerings.
BUT, if VeeDubAG wants the Passat to remain competitive in the US market, it's time for an infusion of Vitamin HP. Either the 3.2L VR6 or the 3.0L 30v Audi motor would be a great start. We Passatphiles of the V6 variety do not want to see the B5.5 be the whipping boy of its class, even if the rest of the machine is superior.[HR][/HR]​
Well said. Time for VW to ante up. Too bad we have to wait until 2005 to see it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (DrPassat)

Just for the record though, one can supercharge their 30V V6 and get a 260-270hp and around 270 torque, for approximately $5k. I would love to see any of those mentioned cars try to keep up with such a Passat.
Question is, who would actually take such a risk as supercharging their car. Not many as there only a very few number of members having actually done so.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: 2004 Passat and 3.0L V6 (G3-GLSv6)

It really makes sense to me that the 2.8 is used for the Passat. It helps add differentiation between the VW and Audi lines, and justify the price difference. It would be nice to have more power without having to go with the W8.
Tony

1 - 20 of 21 Posts