VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is now living in cold weather climate, and has been strongly recommended to get a 4WD. She doesn't want to get rid of her fairly new Civic she just paid for, so is looking for an older 4WD for occasional use. Looking at old CRVs, Escapes, Explorer, etc., but stumbled onto a low mileage (108k) 2004 Toureg that looks real clean. Carfax doesn't tell us a lot, like no idea if tranny's been serviced, etc. This is 8cyl, 6spd. I lean to VW from having VWs continuously for forty years, but small stuff like Rabbits, Golfs, Sportwagens so Touregs are new ground. Edmunds shows great user reviews for that year, with 600 reviews. Any thoughts, things to look out for, etc.? Are they fairly self-maintainable? I've done tranny services on DSGs, so figure the Toureg should be doable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, at least a partial answer to my own question. It has a 4.2L V8, which is apparently the one version that uses a timing belt. If I can't get documentation that it is not past due or soon due for a very expensive replacement than that's a deal breaker.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not long ago, I was looking for an older, well-maintained VW Toureg, until a mechanic warned me that reliability and maintenance costs are closer to Porsche Cayenne range. The few models that I found with decent interiors and good service histories in my area were selling much higher than I was willing to pay. . . Does the Toureg you found have the original transfer case (EDIT: Transmission Valve Body) or has it already been replaced? Remember, 2004 was the first model-year. I don't know what refinements or fixes occurred over the next few years. . . Although the Toureg was loaded with interesting options at the time, it is still somewhat dated compared to a late-model Honda Civic. Your daughter might prefer the feel, familiar options and peace of mind with a CRV.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You might want to check out reviews of the 2004 VW Toureg on Edmunds.com or Cars.com. Take the comments with a grain of salt, but high maintenance costs are frequently mentioned.

Not sure if this link will post, but here is an older site a Toureg owner in the UK that documents several known issues. (The issues with valve body and water leaks are also found in early Porsche Cayennes.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might want to check out reviews of the 2004 VW Toureg on Edmunds.com or Cars.com. Take the comments with a grain of salt, but high maintenance costs are frequently mentioned.

Not sure if this link will post, but here is an older site a Toureg owner in the UK that documents several known issues. (The issues with valve body and water leaks are also found in early Porsche Cayennes.)
I'd skimmed the Edmunds reviews, and saw the car had unusually good reviews there, not as good elsewhere. I was suprised at the high opercentage of five star reviews and low of one star compared to some other options, which was surprising. I did see some references to high maintenance costs. I think the thing was that people were so happy with the way it ran that it overshadowed the negatives. Your linked article just scared me out of this, though the other posts above got me pretty darn nervous too. I definitely can't risk my daughter's finances on this. Thanks much to you and the others for enlightening me. Better to go with 2006-2010 Explorer, a model I've had experience with, relatively positive. Limited known issues, anyone including myself can fix at affordable costs, etc. CRVs are harder to find in her price range, and this is going to be a lightly used vehicle.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
A 2004 touareg was a 100k vehicle. Of course they're expensive to buy and maintain. Not sure what else is happening in here

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not long ago, I was looking for an older, well-maintained VW Toureg, until a mechanic warned me that reliability and maintenance costs are closer to Porsche Cayenne range.

Well that would be because a VW Touareg and a Porsche Cayenne are built on the same platform and share much. As already stated early versions were more troublesome. Buying any used vehicle, maintianence hsitory is key. But remember the Touareg was a $65,000 Porsche sold as $45,000 VW They aren't "low cost" to maintain

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Your prices are off. You're not getting a base model Touareg for less than 55k. Fully loaded hybrid was 80k. The cayenne started around 65 topping out around 130k

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts