VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$1000/OBO - 2004 VW Phaeton (V8) parts car for sale on the Northside of Chicago. This two owner vehicle is black with tan interior. This car received new suspension system in Aug of 2016 (dealer replaced both front and rear suspension dampers and control module - approx $8500 value at the time of replacement). 148K miles on the vehicle.

leaking oil and coolant (have not investigated the source of the problem), this vehicle’s spare & front passenger side rims have small cracks. The vehicle will need to be towed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My advice is to part it out. If you don't have the wherewithal, make a deal with a local shop. Chitown --> Denver shipping makes your parts car more expensive than I can purchase a high-miles V8 *runner* for locally right now. Unless you'll take $500. Your new-ish suspension parts are worth more than that to me as parts, but not enough to haul the whole car here to strip 'em, and I'd hate to see anyone part with a whole Phaeton for $500 ya know? ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, black & tan. If yours were, say, that beautiful burgundy metallic with a navy-blue interior or something, you'd already have sold it to me. My Phaetons are next-to-unique interior/exterior finish.
Thanks for the feedback and recommendation to partner with a local shop, I will certainly look into this as an option:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Coolant could be coming from the oil cooler. As far as the oil, maybe cam gasket under the oil housing. Just my two cents. Once you junk it you will never get the value you put out. If you sell your own parts , you will make double what you listed the car for. I would search around for a great mechanic that can hook you up. Trust me they are out there especially with money being a hardship.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
By the way, your trunk has the valet lock on. It won't open electrically that way even if it works perfectly.

You have to insert your primary key in the ignitions. I don't know if the ignition has to be "on".

The valet button is to the right of the headlight switch. The lock icon over the rear of the car graphic should go out.

If you already knew that, just ignore me.

-Eric

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I wouldn't part it out unless you have customers lined up for the parts.

You would be selling parts for years if not decades.

You'd also have to take your time and remove parts carefully and not cut corners (or harnesses).

American junk yards will cut a $20,000.00 harness to remove a $10.00 switch.

You don't want one of those professionals to help you remove parts.

If I need a harness, I am not going to buy one that's cut.

eBay already has tons of Phaeton parts that are removed and ready to ship.

You'd have to beat eBay prices to sell them.

-Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.