VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the 2005+ Mercedes CDI / Bluetec vehicles?
I'm trying to help my dad who is looking for a replacement [diesel] vehicle from his 1995 S350D. He is basically looking for a large classy vehicle. After I told him that they stopped making S Class diesels in the 90s he looked disappointed, and that he would have to "settle" for an E class. The bright side I informed him, is that the newer E classes are larger than E classes of the 90s...so interior-room wise he might not be missing a whole lot.
Longevity, things to look for, etc. would be appreciated. He is pretty much set on getting another MB vehicle so let's just keep it MB only. Also does not like SUVs or the R class to my knowledge.
From my initial research, the 2005 and 2006 CDIs seem to have a 3.2L engine (and 5 speed auto) whereas the 2007+ models use a 3.0L engine (and 7 speed auto) yet interestingly enough the early models get slightly better MPGs. 23/33 vs. 23/32.
Pic for clicks

·
Registered
11,109 Posts
Re: 2005+ Mercedes E320 CDI & Bluetec (CSmith)

My uncle has a 3.0L CDI S-Class (in Germany) and it does 6-7L per 100kms on the highway (when driving 100-130kph), and 8-10L in town (and when driving at 180-200kph on the highway). Which is 33-40mpg highway and 23-29mpg city using the US system... right in line with the E-class figures. He said he averages around 8.5L in combined driving (so a hair under 30mpg), his driving mostly being highspeed autobahns and then into his small town.
His cousin has an ML class with the same engine, same economy.
They both love their CDI's - they said the power is fantastic, they are smooth, and they are excellent in cold weather. Neither one of them had a diesel before. One came from a BMW 7-series, the other from a Mercedes S-class S300 gasoline... both like their new Mercedes' a lot better - purely because of the engine, and the far better fuel economy.
Can't really comment on the E-class with the diesel. However a friend of my family owned a gasoline E-class and had minimal issues with it. It was an AMG version tho.... But they had no problems with electronics, or things breaking on the car itself.
I'm sure when you combine the two you get an excellent all-around car!

Modified by Live-Wire at 4:53 PM 7-9-2009

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Re: (ATL_Av8r)

Quote, originally posted by ATL_Av8r »
it's modern Mercedes - no it won't

I'd wager the engines in modern Mercedes would run longer with less maintenance then even the famed 5cyl turbo diesel. Mercedes has a recent reputation of building lemons but that doesn't mean that they aren't engineered to last a long time, and the majority are fine.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Re: (phofpower)

Having had no experience, I would go with the earlier model as I think 7 speeds in an automatic would make for a busy experience, no matter how excellent and smooth the operation of the transmission is.
FWIW, my mother has an '05 Passat TDI (it's a big modern diesel with an automatic) and it never gets above 36 MPG (that's on long trips) and gets about 30 in mixed, mostly city, driving. It's not exactly what I'd call a high MPG car; the diesel experience (torque, lazy revving, engine note) is what makes the car worthwhile to own and drive.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by phofpower »

I'd wager the engines in modern Mercedes would run longer with less maintenance then even the famed 5cyl turbo diesel. Mercedes has a recent reputation of building lemons but that doesn't mean that they aren't engineered to last a long time, and the majority are fine.

x2 my pops has a diesel E class and its got 395,xxx miles and still runs perfect

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.